How many LEDs per plant.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ChrisMck95, Mar 16, 2012.

1. I am starting a Micro Grow in a speaker case. I bought 4 CFL lights for it but after running them in the speaker for 30 minutes with a intake fan and an outtake fan, the temperature inside was 100 degrees. Thats too hot. I made a LED light last summer for a fish tank and that light grows corals very well and its not even warm to the touch. I would be only growing 1 plant with the LED light. How many blue and red LEDs do I need for one plant.

2. [quote name='"ChrisMck95"']I am starting a Micro Grow in a speaker case. I bought 4 CFL lights for it but after running them in the speaker for 30 minutes with a intake fan and an outtake fan, the temperature inside was 100 degrees. Thats too hot. I made a LED light last summer for a fish tank and that light grows corals very well and its not even warm to the touch. I would be only growing 1 plant with the LED light. How many blue and red LEDs do I need for one plant.[/quote]

How many wats are they ?

3. 3 watts each

4. I read somewhere the ratio is 3 red to 1 blue. I'm also looking into constructing a high power LED growlight. I was thinking of running 6 red on one power supply and 2 blue + 4 warm white on another power supply as they will all be pulling the same ampage. Good luck

5. Where do you get your LEDs from to make you own light. I've been playing with some I've ordered online but they are under a watt each. Just been practicing my soldering and connecting skills haha

6. My recommendations is a minimum of 30w per plant but use 18 leds (54w). I'm building my 54w PC led panel using 13 650-660nm Red 3w leds & 5 450-455nm Blue 3w leds. I think it was every 4 red for 1 blue but obviously I'm not following that. Total cost including drivers, heatsink, leds, $55. You can find really cheap leds on ebay

7. Yo maniac, have you had much success with your light and also what size space are you growing in? Due to space restrictions im building a micro cab (big up to microgrower420!) There are alot of ready made grow lights that incorporate multiband spectrums. After some research on optimum wavelengths for photosynthesis i am also debating adding some orange plus additional infrared for flowering (supposed to increase resin content) I will be following this thread with interest..

8. I get my LEDs from Rapid LED. they have great customer support