How many grams per watt is a satisfying grow for you?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by dcthemvp, Oct 15, 2011.

1. would any of you lovely experienced gentlmen mind having a guess at what ballpark my current journal is going to produce? :) ty

2. That was the most ridiculous thread I've ever come across

3. Ahhh man, I missed it all. You guys ran him off the board and he never came back.

4. It was a little more testosterone then usual but every thread has its moments. Now back to numbers. What are the actual number of grams a watt ppl are getting?

Sent from device_name using Grasscity Forum App

yor weights are very high,i never got more than a pound with a 1k. maybe you could direct me to this strain.

6. 2 600 is different from 1000. 600+600=1200...not 1000

Not to mention that 600's boast more luments per watt than 1000!

7. I yield abut two years worth of weed for me and mine per grow. I don't weigh.

8. OKAY I WILL ILLUMINATE THIS ANSWER IN A COMPREHENSIVE WAY, SO LISTEN
    Firstly, when dealing with indoor agriculture using a gram per watt scenario to figure out a base for your input cost* is the best way to go.
    Secondly, the person who posted this question already knew what he considered to be a successful grow, and wanted to know others points of view.

In my experienced opinion 0.5g/watt is nothing to be ashamed of. Getting 1g/watt is considered very good.
    If you are not getting these results you may be doing something wrong,  but having a quality over quantity attitude is fine.

input cost consists of any costs incurred from the time of planting to harvesting/curing/packaging a product.

quick segwei: easy tips to better your grow which are generally overlooked (for some reason)
    -do not keep static temperatures. Outdoors the temperature starts cold gets hot then ends cold. different strains can handle different extremes in temperature. Hot times should be during Veg only and gradually cool down as you move through the bloom

-Watch PH for signs of problems ONLY. If you are actively changing the PH up or down you are essentially fighting your plant. These plants naturally excrete acids and bases from root tips depending on which nutrients it needs more of.

-The top 1/3 of your root zone (topsoil area) needs to breathe oxygen during the night. Plan watering carefully. Having less water can lead to a bigger root base as the roots move much more to find water. Be careful with this, underwatering is unadvised

-The size of your root base, and the size of the capillaries which carry nutrients up during transpiration have a large factor in how large your leaves will be, and how large your sensimilla buds will be. Vegetation stage takes care of 2/3 of this growth, so be sure your plants are large enough. Sea of green style growing leads to smaller buds. A small bud has a small stick inside of it and may be preferrable to some.

-Marijuana has 6 macro nutrients (not just nitrogen phosphorous and potassium NPK)
    Dont forget about. Calcium, Iron, Magnesium.
    and if you forgot about those you definetly forgot about:
    maganese, boron, zinc, sulphur, molybdenum, etc.

- In Canada we have the Fertilizer Act, which means you can find out the exact content of any fertilizer you buy. If your buying something that hides the ingredients for proprietary purposes, don't.period.
    Go buy yourselves a nice array of products from an established and credible marijuana fertilizer company and just pay attention to different signs.
    mixing your own ratios of fertilizers and micronutrients is a science and an art. Lets not re-invent the wheel, buy yourselves something researched and marketed efficiently. (anything in an average hydroponics store, or garden center)

• Like Like x 1
  9. #109 firekraker, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2013
    Well I harvested my first grow ever today and I am willing to be a "noob" and answer the gram per watt question. I am running (4) 1000w hps lights with 8 plants under each light, 32 plants total. I averaged 1.5oz per plant, 48oz or 1360 grams total. So 1360 grams divided by 4000 watts equals 0.34 grams per watt. Sounds like I need to look at several factors if 1gram per watt is the goal.Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. How much wattage is the sun equivalent to? LOL cause I grow multi pound trees outdoors that would slay almost any indoor I have ever come incontact with even my own. Im off indoor now Nor Cal outdoor weather provides. When you can pull 55 pounds off a 50 x 30 foot area outside why bother with paying electric billsfor a less complete product.

11.   I've gone thru ur grow show before, great plants you got.  I wish I had some land out in the country here so I could grow outdoors.

12. Do you have enough ventilation?

no, it doesn't.

14. #115 TinTizzy, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013
    I usually get 1/2 to 3/4 (just one 600w)...never actually perfected one strain though so could prob hit a g/watt if I did..as long as im still making more than im spending im good :bongin:

15. a conservative estimate would be i might get up to .5-.6 on a good run.

perfect info! +1

17. Also the quote about grow volume and llight penetration is complete nonsense. It is much more meaningful to think of the lumens spread over an area the size of your canopy, and then assume a bigger bulb will do more penetrating, but to negligible gains. Total lumens per square foot of grow as determined by the lighted area cast by the reflector ata given height is the key. More power, bigger square, but not a larger grow 'volume' as the canopy will absorb our block 85% or more. I have gotten my highest gram/watt yields with t5, believe it or not. With 4 individual 3 gallon square pots with a screen over each one I pulled 412 grams of cured mugs (plus popcorn) from a 330w setup (6x 5 t5 ho). The key with this is almost no penetration. You keep the canopy screened to within an inch of itself and grow them less than 2 inches from the bulb and almost no lumens go to waste.

I would also like to point out that like others are saying there are flaws in using this metric to compare efficiency across grows due to fluctuations in strain yields and flower times etc, but if you are working with clones or a familiar strain, or different stains under equal conditions it is a very useful measure for comparison. It is after all the most costly part of the grow so for dialing in your own shit and as a personal measure, it's perfectly applicable.

18. no experienced grower would ever ask this question. You are not helping this person at all. Why would you bother writing this. 

What you are talking about is Day Degree Accumulation, which is a very complicated algorithm, and completely strain dependent. A new grower would have a much easier time crunching numbers with a gram per watt scenario.

Your saying to this person " all your posts make you sound like a newb" and really dude, if he was an expert would he be posting asking idiots like you this question?

Lets take a minute to think before we write maybe. it takes a while to type, maybe just read it back to yourself a couple times first.

19. Yah, your using fluorescent lights to grow, which are mostly blue spectrum. Your obviously growing in a sea of green sort of style if you have no light penetration. 

HPS and MH are High Intensity Discharge (HID) and give the plant much more energy to do its thing. Fluorescence *In my opinion* are only good for vegetation growth, and I would only ever use them on a small clone which is about to go under an HID bulb.

The best lighting ever for quality and output is plasma lighting, which is expensive but can be 15 feet from a plant(s) and still cause strong photosynthesis and transpiration. 

If any new growers have read this far in this post, please just count your watts for the lights you are going to use, then multiply this number by 0.6
    ex, 1000(watt) x 0.6= 600 grams, /454(grams per pound)= 1.32 lbs of product.

You might get a little under you might get a little over, but if you cannot figure out how many lights you need to keep an adequate amount of personal, or whatever your doing, this is the best way.

An easy rule of thumb for other math in the beginning, is consider your 1000 watt light to occupy a 4ftx4ft area (16sqft), this will help you space out your room.

New growers will benefit best from emulating the easy techniques, and once the general concept is understood, the tricks to the trade and production techniques are a breeze. Anyone can learn and understand this.