Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How many carcinogens are in weed?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Luvs2splooj, Mar 15, 2009.

1. The ATI site says marijuana contains over 400 chemicals, some of which are carcinogens. I was just curious as to how many of those chemicals are carcinogens. By the way i know ATI is full of BS, but there ARE some carcinogens in weed, just curious as to how many.

2. #2 WhatUserName, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2009
    None besides the biproducts of combustion (smoking)

And as for chemicals, to put it in perspective, there are about 400 "chemicals in about every common food we eat and about 800 in a coffee bean. "Chemicals" are substances made naturally by the plant and include things like vitamins and minerals, plant hormones, carban, oxygen, hydrogen ect. Sure ATI uses legitimate facts, but only the parts they want people to hear. Ignorant bastards.

-WUN

3. dont worry...u cant get cancer from weed...and 400 chemicals is nothing. lawn grass has more than 400 chemicals. it doesnt say anything if there good or bad.

4. i dont think they use legitimate facts.

5. btw ...ther....are....OVER 9000!

6. If you're worried about carcinogens then buy a vaporizer.

7. Theres also many every day foods we eat that contain harmful chemicals. Trace amounts of course but still there. Foods such as potatoes and tomatoes have little amounts of nicotine in it! Its just a matter of what the government tells you and what they want you to hear.

8. Yea im not worried about it, I was just wondering how much worse the site was trying to make it sound than it actually is. They try to make it sound like 1/2 of the chemicals are carcinogens

9. Of course they are trying to make it sound bad. They have no legitimate reasons to keep it out of our hands so they have to use scare tactics and play on the submissive nature of Americans to keep up their front.

10. Thats just a scare tactic.

11. Weed actually prevents lung cancer by killing possible tumors. However, it can lead to lower lung capacity or lung problems after PROLONGED use.

And yes, ATI doesn't use legitimate facts.

12. These are from the ATI site:

"Pot affects a user's judgment"
    False(I believe)

"Smoking marijuana also causes some changes in the brain similar to those caused by long-term use of cocaine and heroin.43"
    I dont know if this is true or false but Iv never heard it before.

"Students who have smoked marijuana within the past year are more than twice as likely to have cut class than those who did not smoke, while health problems associated with using marijuana can keep students from attending school due to illness."
    Entirely false

"Regular marijuana users often have shortened attention spans, decreased energy and ambition, poor judgment, high distractibility, and impaired ability to communicate and relate to others. Young people who use marijuana weekly have double the risk of depression later in life."
    Need I say anything?

Still think they use legitimate facts?

All that found here http://www.abovetheinfluence.com/facts/drugs-marijuana.aspx

13. Over 60 carcinogens are in weed.

The people posting in this thread refuse to listen to or read any medical journals, articles, or reports.

There are over 40 carcinogens in cigarettes.
    Marijuana has 50-70% more than cigarettes, so 60 is a low average.

And as pot smokers usually hold in the smoke for longer, the carcinogens in your joint or blunt have more time to sit there and escape into your body.

And each joint is equivalent to 10 cigarettes.

So my final answer: A lot.

14. perhaps... if you smoke it. But what about vapor, friend?

15. Did you happen to be in the DARE program?

16. If they had no legitimate reasons to make it illegal, why would it be illegal?

The submissive nature of Americans? Do you even live here? We protest and cause a ruckus every single time we have a problem with anything that anyone does! Seriously man...

17. I would attribute pot's illegality to a slew of political and economic influences wayyyy before I would even consider the government was doing it in the best interest of the people or their health. How often does that actually happen now a days?

I would be hard-pressed to believe pot has anywhere near as many chemicals as that found in cigarettes let alone more. Sure, I doubt burning and inhaling plant matter regardless is a healthy habit, but as far as weed goes? I'll take my chances

18. Here's a couple links on the carcinogens question:
    Medical News: ATS: Marijuana Smoking Found Non-Carcinogenic - in Oncology/Hematology, Lung Cancer from MedPage Today
    NORML.org - Working to Reform Marijuana Laws

Perhaps you should read Jack Herer's The Emperor Wears No Clothes, freely available online...especially chapters 4 and 5 (the first 5 chapters provide a good summary on history & uses of the cannabis plant...and the whole book is a good read).

The first five minutes (or so) The Union (link below) also provides a pretty good (albeit short) look into the history of the plant becoming illegal in the US.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jO_ncXj7RE"]The Union: The Business Behind Getting High[/ame]

19. [quote name='"KanameDarkwind"']

If they had no legitimate reasons to make it illegal, why would it be illegal?

The submissive nature of Americans? Do you even live here? We protest and cause a ruckus every single time we have a problem with anything that anyone does! Seriously man...[/quote]

It's illegal because the plant has so many uses. It can make paper. That would ruin the ruin the logging industry.

It's a medicine, it would ruin pharmacies.

It would ruin tobacco and alcohol companies

It makes fuel, so it would ruin the oil industry

It isn't illegal because it get you high. Nor is it because it's dangerous. If that was the case, GMOs and half the things we use daily would be illegal.

you aren't knowledgeable about this subject, sorry.

20. My bullshit senses are tingling