Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How many actually care about cannabis legalization?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by danczwflowrz, Jan 19, 2014.

1. #1 danczwflowrz, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
    59% Californians want cannabis legally
    1% have signed the initiative...

I'm just curious, since there are currently 20 million Americans in California out of 34 million total that say they want Cannabis legalized. Around 10% are stoners which is 2 million stoners (out of 20 million).

Yet the best cannabis initative in history (the Jack Herer Initiative, ONLY a 10% tax [vs. Colorado 29%] & only organic organic cannabis is legal) only has 200,000 signatures out of 600,000. I'm just curious why so many people out there love cannabis but would've even print a piece of paper out, sign it, and mail it to help our green plant friend.

I know this is just California, but it's depressing because we legalized it first for medicinal purposes. It's embarrassing that we're waiting until 2016 so that millionaires can push a shit petition through.

Anyhow, if you're a Californian, you should really visit this thread. If you're not, you can continue to look down at us, disappointed that we can't get our shit together. Sorry to have a sad post, but it's sad times we live in where not even the whole of stoners are up to speed on the legalization that's trying to be passed. I haven't factored in the 18 million who statistically aren't stoners.

2. I don't live in California but what I've heard is that organized crime in that state is ruining weed for many people, robbing and murdering employees at legal dispensaries and such, bringing violence into the legal weed market and making people not ready to legalize it simply because of the crime element.  If that's true it's very unfortunate. 

3. the general consensus i've gotten from other growers in my area is that only consumers want legalization. prohibition exists because the government hasn't figured out a way to turn a profit without admitting they were wrong to begin with.

4. most don't care lolSent from my SGH-M919 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. I think most do care but for me (not in cali) it almost wont make a difference you know.  Like I am smoking as we speak.  I don't really need some government to tell me what I can and cannot do.  I am my own person and will make my own decisions.  But hopefully we can get it legalized as it seems much less harmful then alcohol and that stuff is everywhere.

6. #6 danczwflowrz, Jan 19, 2014
    It does though, if it's legalized, there are thousands of benefits. Tens of thousands of hemp uses and cannabis uses that the current "medical cannabis" infrastructure can't present. Especially to medical users in need who's dispensaries are shut down.

I like growers, but like anybody, there's good and bad. Those who want it illegal.... fuck em for being greedy. Yeah, it can suck being a farmer not making as much as you would being an illegal farmer, but the grower's buyers, us, pay for it. Fuck that. I'm not paying to keep it illegal. Yeah, I can grow myself but I don't have the room to do it. This is how life is, if you want to be greedy, well that's choice. To the growers: You say the government can't take anything from you while it's still illegal, but you'll take from your own people??? What kinda world do we live in where you get to live above me. A feudal system? Really?

Norcal aint so pretty anymore with all the grow ops there, in some cases yes, in many cases no. Illegalization of cannabis is terrible. Fathers, mothers, sons, and daughters go to jail. People deserve the right to do as they wish. WE WON'T STOP until full legalization occurs in this state, and then after, the U.S. Once the U.S. legalizes, the whole world will.

// Sorry for ranting, but this flower, this plant, has been illegal for almost a century. It's one the most beloed and useful plants on this world, and either greedy people or lazy people, want to keep it that way. Screw that. It's only a matter of time.

We're choppin em down bro, and I'm not talking about the trees-I'm talking about the laws that say we cannot use this amazing plant.

7. one way to look at it is instead of both the cops AND burglars breaking down the door it'd just be the burglars...:)

:bongin:

8. Oh the irony.  Even marijuana growers from California are profiting from marijuana prohibition and want to keep it illegal for financial gain. 

9. danczwflowrz ~ I'm curious, why do you believe this initiative stands a greater chance of success than the one that failed in 2010?  (This is an honest question.)

10. You watch to much t.v. All that " cartel " weed goes back east to all the suckers on this web site. There is no market for that crap on the west coast.

It's already legal in ca. That is what our med system is all about. Our great state realizes how great this plant is. They came up with 420 qualifying conditions for it. If you want to smoke you spend 50 dollars and get a card. If you don't want to smoke then it does not effect you. If you don't want to get a card it's a 80 dollar fix it ticket for under a oz and let's admit, you have to be a dumb shit to really get caught by the cops. Prices are already stupid cheap for great quality weed. Why wold we want to hand that over to another greedy state that likes to use the " Tax fallacy" to pass faulty bills that are over regulated and over restrictive.
    This is the reason why no one cares about " legalization" in ca.

11. this is true. ive heard of gangs and mobs robbing/trashing dispensaries so people are more reluctant to go. also OP, its not just like weed would be legal and everything is all right. if it was legal in the state, its still illegal on a federal level, so DEA and other federal drug enforcement could crack-down on the shops and its customers. so it comes with its pro's and cons. most people in ca that smoke weed already either have a medical card or a reliable source of getting it so theres no real "need" for it to be legalized. and personally if weed was legal where i live, id still buy from my dude. id rather help someone pay their bills than make some white collar douche-bag a little richer

So you're saying that the combination of decriminalization and legal medical marijuana is actually a better system overall than all out legalization?  My state is trying to combine the two into that system as well. 

13. #13 Applerod, Jan 19, 2014

I was thinking along similar lines.  The partial decriminalization (like you said, less than an oz is merely a citation--like a parking ticket), combined with the strong medical market, actually de-incentivizes legalization efforts in this state because it's already widely available and generally tolerated--at least in the more enlightened (and populated) areas of the state.

Unlicensed cultivation and/or sale are still felonies here, the Feds still swoop in from time to time to fuck things up (as is their custom), and large areas of California are still relatively intolerant of cannabis, so the situation is not ideal.  But a blind man could see where the overall trend is headed: greater tolerance, decreasing ignorance, and acceptance--even if it isn't codified into official state law anytime soon.

14. As long as they are the right kind of decrim laws. Some states have them but it still comes with jail time. I don't see how that could be decriminalized.

15. #15 Jingo Dookstain, Jan 19, 2014
    I don't really care.

It's hard to explain. The laws and semantics of society will always change. A status quo only exists for the amount of time people decide to put up with it. Despite all of that, I've been able to smoke pot off and on in peace in an illegal state for 5 or 6 years now. It's not a hard task, you just have to not be a retard about your weed.

Legal or illegal, people will still raise their voice against it.

16. I'd assume a majority of those 2 million stoners have medical cards. So they may be so content with this system that they simply don't care enough because they already have a medical card. 

17. Yeah, well the current medical marijuana infrastructure sucks. It doesn't support shit. Many users can't even get their actual medications, besides FULL LEGALIZATION will provide tens of thousands more cannabis products, including strains and hemp products.

Great question my friend. Some pro-cannabis people actually voted against it, because it was a crappy prop, though it was close (46% to 54%). I believe it had to do with the taxes it imposed, but regardless, it was a close call. 

Since then, another 15% of Californians have changed their minds... in just 3-4 years. IF CCHI 2014 COLLECTS the required amounts of signatures, there's a 99% it will pass, because a majority of Californians now believe in it, plus Colorado & Washington are raking it in already...

18. It's not that I don't care about legalization, I just don't care about California.

19. #19 danczwflowrz, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
    Well I'm mad at Californians, not others. CA legalized medical mj, but is failing in full legalization.

I mean, DO YOU GUYS REALLY STILL WANT TO BE TESTED BY YOUR EMPLOYERS??? Sorry for the caps, but come on fellow stoners & ganja lovers, think, think, think!!!

20. #20 snoopdog6502, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
    I predict that in Washington state its a miserable failure implementing all the bullshit rules. Sure, we will have some nice pot stores but they will not be the cash cow the state law makers hoped they would be.

Greedy tax system will be a boom to the black market. Plant your seeds if you got them folks.cut those clones and buy those lights.