How Long Would it Take to Fall Down the Deepest Hole?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sublime, Jul 26, 2017.

1. #1 Sublime, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    So the deepest hole in the Earth ever drilled is about 7.5 miles down... Which isn't much.... like... at all... The tiniest And it took is 20 slow years to dig this 7.5 miles of Earth. We didn't even break past the crust, which can be up to 25 miles deep, and the crust is the tiniest layer of our Earth. We have a little over 3,000 miles until we reach the core, and 4000 to reach the center.

Anyways, the drilling stopped because the temperatures were too hot for the drill bit to continue. So, ladies and gentleman, this is the real Sparta pit here. And I got to wondering. Just how long would it take for a person to fall down this amazing Sparta pit hole? I used physics with air drag to come up with the answer. And then I used an online calculator which does this to check my results.

It would take ~2.80 minutes to fall down this hole (heavily dependent on mass of person). I wonder how those ~3 minutes would feel, just wondering if you're EVER gonna hit the ground.

2. You could nearly smoke a J in that time.

:smoke:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Isn't it closer to 2.5 minutes?

4. Oh snap, you're right. I had the wrong notes which had the wrong answer which is why I checked online at that time. D'OH! I got 2.85 minutes. But it heavily depends on your mass.....

5. Yeah it wouldn't be a fun time lol.

6. In a vacuum its about 49 seconds

The equation should be: sqrt (2*12070.1/9.8) = 49.63

that's 12,070.1 meters at 9.8 meters/second squared

This is in a vacuum and not factoring in mass. If it was one of us I assume it wouldn't change much at all.

7. yeah, I had that one already.... if only we lived in a vacuum, math would be so much more easier and simpler.

But unfortunately we have other factors to consider like air friction. 2 and a half minutes is indeed about correct, but will depend on your weigh and will vary. For me, it'd be 2.85 minutes. Nice to know in case I fall in this hole that's completely sealed up.

• Like Like x 1
  8. that does make sense after all. i did not realize that the air resistance factored in so strongly, but it does...
    i do think the air resistance would push against a person with such a force that anyone would probably be dead long before they hit the bottom..

9. Ok. Who's getting kicked into the Sparta pit so we know the answer?

Not it!

;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. If I recall from science class 50+ years ago, max velocity from (earth's) gravity is around 110 or so MPH. Although I'm bordering on senility, I think that is for your average human being in air. *BUT,* every object reaches a max velocity -- it does not continually increase.

And then there's the experiment from 500 (?) years ago about dropping two different weight balls from The Leaning Tower of Pizza, and they hit the ground at exactly the same instant.

Also: Supposedly if you took two identical rifles, fired one straight up in the air and the other one parallel to the ground, both bullets would hit the ground at the same instant.

And here's an experiment I came up with, although impossible to ever do for obvious reasons: Drill a hole in the earth "all the way to China" and jump in. As we know, gravitational pull always pulls to the center of the mass. So, theoretically, you would only fall to the center of the earth. Would your speed get less and less as you approached the center of the mass and become zero once you got there? Or would you overshoot the center, then be pulled back, bouncing several times until you became stationary?

Hey Lenny dot, have you seen dot Lenny lately?

• Like Like x 2
  11. How long is a piece of string :confused_2:

12. Wellllll, normally it probably wouldn't, but when you're falling 12,070 meters or 7.5 miles down, that adds up....

That's what I would think too, but then how do skydivers skydive? I dunno how up in the sky they go though.

13. That's an interesting thought.... I would imagine you'd overshoot then be pulled back, but that's an absolute wild guess based on no mathematics or true reasoning other than a whim and what sounds right.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I believe experienced divers will have a small plane climb about as high as it can go -- somewhere around 12,000' or so.

And as I mentioned previously, an object -- like a skydiver -- will only reach a terminal speed of around 110 MPH or so, no matter how far they fall.

But this is all going from old memory.

15. This a question for Santa Clause ...

16. This Santa?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. You are correct in the terminal speed, I was just saying I had no clue about the height a skydiver typically shoots for. Seemingly approximately the same.

So I guess if a skydiver fell down this hole, he'd be used to the feeling....

• Like Like x 1
  18. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe when you're underground far enough (this well beyond meets far enough LOL), oxygen can sometimes become a problem. Do you think oxygen deprivation could become an issue, or not since it's just one giant hole with an opening. Okay, then let's say after you were pushed in the hole, the hole top was sealed shut. Could you die from oxygen deprivation before you even go splat, or at least go unconscious?

19. The haggard, chimney one.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hmmm... Are you sure?!? I could have sworn that these six brave souls made it to the core back in 2003 and saved the Earth from imminent destruction.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1