How long without water?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by bnm80130, Jul 27, 2009.

1. I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks and will be gone for a total of 9 days. I have 2 young plants, by then they will be about 4 weeks old. If I give them a big watering the day I leave, will they be able to be brought back with a big watering 9 days later? I'm not telling anyone about my growing so friends watering it is out of the question. How are auto watering drip systems with marijuana plants? I've heard they're not good since they don't let the soil dry out. Would it be better to not water or to use a drip system for 9 days?

2. I'd be interested too.

Also, are those glass globe things any good?

3. #3 Phoggy, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
    I did the same thing around the 4th and just set my plants for a few less hours of light. When I got back the first 1/2 inch of soil was bone dry however the plants were flourishing! I bet you would be fine without a drip system. I should add that I was using Blue spectrum CFL lighting. No clue what a HPS would do. You can also try a Aqua Globe. I saw them at Home Depot for around 14 bucks.

4. it's hard to tell. some plants drink more than others. growing 2 strains atm and one drinks at least twice as much as the other. you could try transplanting to a larger (largest?) pot and giving a good soaking right before you leave...

5. Nine days is a LONG time without water. your plants will not make it that long.

6. itsa crapshoot but bnm says they're young so a large soaked pot might work

7. good eye, didnt really see that. well maybe that could work. You have NO ONE that could come check on them?

8. actually it's quite simple really :) and very cheap. get a water bottle(size is your choice) and fill it with water(duh, unless its new lol) then proceed to poke a very small hole in the bottle. just big enough to promote a drop of h2o like every 10-20 secs(the longer the better).

i saw this in "ultimate grow pt 2" the high times dvd by jorge cervantes. he used this skill to keep his clones watered after he planted them in the wild. that way he'd be able to wait longer before hiking out to the same spot again :) guerilla growing is cool

i think most of that dvd is on youtube btw

9. How big of pots do you have them in? If the are less then 1 gallon no they won't make it if its over 4 gallon, problably make it. Over 7 gallons will make it easily.
    Also depends on soil compostion if it has a lot peat, humus, vermiculite. It will be more likely to make it.
    Keep'em burnin
    DirtyViperMan

10. I don't know if it would help but maybe getting a humidifyer. Probably a lot of humidity might help for a week or two.(maybe, just a guess)

11. Perlite perlite perlite! Get a cup of perlite and soak it in water before you leave. Put the perlite on top of the soil, and give the soil a little water before you leave. Perlite isnt nutrients. It just releases water when it'd environment is dry. It realeases water until it's environment is as wet as it is. That's probably your best bet. A water drip system would help. Make sure you have your bottle cap off, or else you wont get a drip! But dont overwater!

12. What he ment to say is vermiculte vermiculte vermiculite. Vermiculte will hold way more water then perlite. Soak vermiculte in water cover the soil. Then if you wanted you could lightly Mulch and that would hold a lot of water.
    Keep'em burnin
    DirtyViperMan

13. The big question here, is what are you growing in?
    Soil I assume?

How many days before you normally water each plant? And how much each watering?
    Are you using any mediums like hydroton underneath the soil?

If your soil can retain water for 2-3days, plan on using something as Phoggy recommended.
    https://www.buyaquaglobes.com/

If your curious or skeptical.
    Aqua Globe Reviews, Complaints and Compliments

They claim can water plants for up to two weeks. So you should be golden.
    I'm also sure there are some DIY projects via google search to make something like it.

Anyways, good luck, and have fun on your vacation!

14. Uummmmm...isn't vermiculite and perlite for ...drainage? I don't add those things to soil unless I want better drainage. I wouldn't use them. There are POLYMER CRYSTALS. That is one thing you can use. They are crystals that you mix in your soil and when they get wet, the swell up and turn to jelly. They will just sit there and slowly release water into the soil as it needs it. I don't think vermiculite or perlite does that...does it? I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

15. Actually Perlite helps prevent water loss and soil compaction.

Vermiculite also retains water and nutrients. ** Some contains asbestos.

16. #16 Martano666, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2009
    Okay. My bad. So when I have added perlite to soil for drainage before....I was a dumbass is what you are saying?

17. Definitively not.
    Everyone makes mistakes, including me. ;-)

18. I don't though, I'm perfect.

19. lol.

i think youll be fine, hell they might even like a little abuse.