How long will nutrient water last before they go bad?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Horde, Sep 20, 2013.

1. I was just wondering if anybody knew how long nutrient water last before it goes bad?, im keeping it in a cool dark space. The nutes im using are yates thrive water soluble.

2. As long as you keep the container covered and in a cool dark place like you mentioned, then you should be good for a few years. :hello:

3. UPDATE:
    Found this on a botanical forum...

"With liquid fertilizers, there might be some crystallization over time. The solubility of fertilizer salts increases with increasing temperature, so heating a container of liquid fertilizer (by putting it in a pot of hot water) should dissolve any crystals.

"Otherwise, nitrogen fertilizers can degrade through loss of ammonia (a gaseous nitrogen compound) to the atmosphere. The ammonium compounds which are used as nitrogen carriers break down very slowly unless mixed with alkaline substances, but they may lose some weight and value over prolonged storage ... especially if their container is not well sealed."

Some organic fertilizers can become moldy. Their nutrients may blow away as spores."

Hope it gives you some insight... ;)

4. I never "save" nutrients once they've been added to the water.  The amount is minimal, just toss the water out when you're done.

• Like Like x 1
  5. It sounds like you're asking about a mixed solution. For hydroponics you could go forever as long as you monitor and adjust you nutrient profile, but most people change every 1-2 weeks, I change my water every week,I have a circulation pump that constantly stirs it and an air pump to keep the oxygen level up.
    If you're talking about mixing a bunch of nutes for soil and saving them mixed for latter. It is not a good idea. When I used to grow in soil I would mix a fresh batch up each time I applied. If you're using organic nutes (I used BioBizz) the bacteria will grow and actually consume some nutrients and make your room STINK. I had some leftovers and I just left em in the bucket, when I opened the bucket 2 days latter I almost passed out my whole house smelled like a fart.

6. LMAO, there is that!  I hate the way they smell in the bottle.  I can imagine after a couple of days with the "stuff" in water to feed off.

7. Thanks for all the replies :), i think i will just mix up a new solution every week or so just to be safe