Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How long will cannabis stay fresh for when stored in an air tight sealed mason jar?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Stash Box' started by midnighthour91, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Will it stay fresh for 1 year+ if stored in a normal mason jar with airtight seal? Is there anything else you’d recommend doing beyond that? I also keep the jar in a cool, dark closet.

2. never kept my weed that long lol

but from all the forums and websites I have look at over the years
    lead me to believe that well grown, dried, cured weed can last years if keep the humidity round 62% in good quality airtight jars
    I would use a 62% RH Humidity Control Pack, as it keeps the humidity at the right level

keep it cool about (10c) and in the dark

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks. Is the RH humidity control pack something you just stick inside the jar with the weed?

4. You could add an oxygen absorber for better storage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. It slowly degrades over time. Having said that I have had decades old cannabis that I "found" in my house and it was still fine. Keep it dry in a mason jar in a cool dark place like a basement.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. I dont know about the weed, but seeds last forever in the freezer

7. Thanks. I feel like as long as I kept it in air tight sealed jar with humidity packs and change em every 2 months or so, it’ll definitely last a year

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. It will be fine. I always have 12-18 month old herb around all the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dont bother changing them, just get the larger size. I grow and have been able to use the same humidity packs for about a year so far and going strong. Only lost one so far because it was left out open for a couple days. Just dont ever leave it exposed to air for long once opened.

• Like Like x 2
  10. I have seen data posted from BNW that shows THC degradation of approximately 10% a year or greater!

11. I have some a year old that was never in an air tight jar and it is still kicking. I now know better how to store it but the poorly stored is still hearty

12. I don't know how it works thca is also being converted to thc. So you lose but also gain some. I know bud can slowly over the decarboxylate the thca into thc without heat it just takes longer.

13. I have kept herb up to 2 years in the proper conditions typically for me, cool, dark less than 70 degrees f and 58-60 percent rh give or take does the trick for me with little to no degradation.

14. I have some Sour Deisel that's over a year old and it is still developing into different flavor profiles. I open the jar every couple weeks or so. But I try and only open it in an area where the humidity is 55%. When I open jars in low humidity ambient air 35% the bud tends to dry out on me in the jar. So far so good.

15. OP - order yourself a few of these. These Boveda Packs willladd humidity if needed and remove it if needed - and you’ll be able to store your herbage and maintain freshness twice as long as if you didn’t use them.

https://bovedainc.com/

j

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thank you for reminding me I need to order some. I have cannabis around for at least a year.

I would recommend if you have weed that has been around too long to toast it and infuse it into coconut oil. Some many things you can use it for.

17. And old study on the subject-

The stability of cannabis and its preparations on storage. (abst – 1976)
    The stability of cannabis and its preparations on storage - PubMed

“It is concluded that carefully prepared herbal or resin cannabis or extracts are reasonably stable for 1 to 2 years if stored in the dark at room temperature.”

Granny :wave:

18. I only grow outside once a year, I keep it in my freezer and it's still great 10 months later.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yes. But the trick for the best quality for long term storage is a proper 30 day cure.

I seal mine in vac bags and freeze them.