How long until they germinate?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Yummay, Mar 22, 2010.

1. I put some seeds in a paper towl, put some warm tap water on the paper towl and folded it over put it in a ziplock and ive got the ziplock on a warm-not hot, heating pad how long til they sprout?

2. Look for them to sprout any time in the next 3-5 days.

3. Should i leave them on the heating pad? I think at times they got too hot O_O

4. That's not really necessary but could help. I germinate seeds all the time even under cold conditions.

5. You want it around the 75-85 f mark as far as temp goes.
    Also, you dont want the paper towels soaking wet, just damp, keep checking to make sure nothing is growing in their other then the seeds. If you open the bag and their is a weird smell comming out change the paper towels.
    I prefer the cup of water method a lot more then this method. I was an avid user of the ziplock bag for awile until i found that method.

6. i agree with satan...never thought i'd be saying that lol haha!

that's a good temp...one thing to note when seed germing though...
    the lower end of that temp scale say 75-78 degrees has been researched and proven that it will produce more female's to male's when using regular seed/non fem...
    it takes extra hour's or even a day to germ this way but it seem's like the best way...
    i soak my seed's in tap water over night then i use a shot glass ...like a mini wick system...
    i put tap water in the shot glass until it's about 1/4 of the way full...then ball up a piece of paper towel and put it in the shot glass, then i make a flat spot on that now wet piece of paper towel to put my seed...then place my seed in...
    i tear another small piece of towel off and put it in there dry, sandwiching the seed and allowing the water at the bottom of the glass to wick up to the seed...water last's for the whole germ, RH is high in the glass, not to wet not to dry...it just work's great...
    use tap water, it has chlorine's and trace element's that will keep your seed from getting any harmfull pathogens as it germ's and help it get growing...

some strain's take a week or more to pop there seed's some take as little as 24 hour's, genes have alot to do with the germ rate as well...

i have had a few seed's, for example, my White Widow from GHSC...
    perfect, healthy seed, no crack's...should germ fine...i've been waiting over a week...
    thinking the seed is rotted from the inside or possibly having trouble i lightly cracked the seed open....just enough to break the seem..put it back in the glass...
    by the next day i could see the white root making it's way out with the very tip of a green leaf along it's side...today it cracked open the opposite seem on the shell by itself and seem's to be germing ok...
    so if it does not germ there is a way out...you can help it out...sometimes the shell has been almost hardened...it's from letting a plant grow past harvest or not properly curing the seed...sometimes though ...shit just happen's...

just my 2 cent hope any of this help's...

cheer's

7. Indeed, some strains are proven to be harder to germinate then others, mainly becuase of the fact that their husks or shells are thicker makeing water harder to penetrate them. Its proven in a lot of strains, and i know in lowryder and its crosses becuase of the ruderalis in their genetics.
    I think with whatever method of germination you are planning on doing, if you dont plan on letting the seeds pop in just water in a cup, its always good to at least soak them for 24 hours. I believe this increases the chances greatly, especialy with seeds that have a longer time for germination.

8. agree...soaking makes that difference for sure bro...:D