how long to veg?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by oxtart, Mar 13, 2010.

1. ive got a white widow and a cheese plant just sprouted in my cabinet and was just curious how long i should veg them before changing the light cycle? heres another quick question. it seems the rule of thumb is that fox farm soil has enough nutes to last 3-4 weeks before you start adding fertilizer. ive got my sprouts in small clay containers and will have to transplant them into bigger pots and new soil. should i wait 3-4 weeks after transplanting them into the new soil before hitting them with nutes. any help is much appreciated. Thanks

2. What type, indica or sativa? Indica is usually 8-9 weeks and sativa is about 25-50% longer. Also is the question of starting your countdown at the flip or when you sex your plant(s). This is usually 2 weeks difference.

3. #3 halfa380, Mar 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2010
    no nutes for first 3 weeks whatsoever. you can veg as long as you want.remember biger the plant biger the yeld.but keep in mind that in flowering it almost doubles in size so if you have space isues, time it right.as for replanting i sugest you wait 2-3weeks to get enough foilage-leaves. transplant stresses the plant and if it has good foilage it can recover quicker.

4. Sorry, I thought you said "flower". For veg times it is my understanding that the minimum is 30 days but for maximum yield per plant you should veg for the same number of weeks you plan on flowering your plant. Thats when knowing the flowereing times of your type (indica or sative) helps you determine how long to veg.

5. thanks. now if i repot the plant in new soil do i still start the nutes or wait 3-4 weeks till the nutes that are already in the new soil run out? does that make sense?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. That's not a bad idea. Some people will start their plants on 1/4 to 1/2 strength nutes during weeks 3 and 4 after re-potting.

7. Ideally you should veg until they show sex, indicating that are ready for 12/12.That's usually around 6 weeks. AS 190 (Half a 380) said, if space is an issue go shorter veg time, but longer is better if you have room. I like to go 10 wks when I can, they really produce a lot more when they mature a bit.