Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How long to hold smoke?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by capitate, Jun 14, 2012.

1. I heard at one time, can't remember where, that you don't really have to hold a hit more than a second or two to get all the stoney benefits from it and that it's better for your lungs to not hold it too long. Have you heard this ever?
    :smoke:

2. I hold mine in for like 2-3 seconds it's all you need

3. [quote name='"kiefsmoker420"']I hold mine in for like 2-3 seconds it's all you need[/quote]

Fact.

But I mean holding it in longer could make you feel "higher" but thats just because of oxygen deprivation

4. 3-5 seconds is perfect. Any more wont make a difference.

5. about 2-3seconds and your perfect. as long as you actually inhale though.

6. Yes, and I enjoy smoking

7. I dont hold my hits in at all.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn0xwf2MkhE&feature=plcp]video-2012-06-13-08-40-35.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

Taking out my old hottub and putting in a new one ^^

I get high and i dont even hold it in. I inhale it and exhale right away. I have plenty of weed that if im not high enough ill just pack another bowl :)

8. I'd say the more you inhale the longer you need to hold it to get all of the goods out of it, but 4-5 seconds should be enough. You definitely don't want to hold it any longer than 30 second, because it could cause significant damage in the long run due to the oxygen deprivation.

9. i do 3 secs, any longer is not nessacary

10. I understand free divers arent inhaling smoke but they can hold their breath for 4-5 mins. Do they cause damage to themselves? Or is there blood saturated with enough oxygen?

11. i would say 2-5 is just right. 1 sec is a bit too short. my friends sometimes hold them for 10secs, and i just laugh.

12. I'd say they definitely suffer some damage, but these people do a lot of training to hold their breath for so long. I suppose there's ways to adapt your body to go longer without oxygen, and not suffer the negative effects.

13. Like others have said, I would say 3-5 seconds. Don't go counting it though to get it right. After you inhale it all, just hold it for a little and blow it out. Keep it lit!

14. Typically with a bowl or joint I hold it 2-3 seconds, for bong I hold it about 5. Just how ive always done it

15. I just ghost mine now I don't care... cuz it's like YOLO. lol no, jus messin....... depending on how big the hit is you usually only have to hold it for about 5-6 seconds to absorb all of the thc.

16. I usually hold it 3-5 seconds, or I will just ghost it

17. How about some actual medical studies? No guesses, just accurate measuring of THC levels! :smoke:

Breathhold duration and response to marijuana smoke. (abst - 1989)
    Breathhold duration and response to ... [Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1989] - PubMed - NCBI

Marijuana Smoking: Factors That Influence the Bioavailability of Tetrahydrocannabinol (full - 1990) http://www.ukcia.org/research/FactorsThatInfluenceBioavailability.pdf

Response to marijuana as a function of potency and breathhold duration (abst - 1991)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2027922?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

Marijuana smoking: effects of varying puff volume and breathhold duration. (abst - 1995)
    Marijuana smoking: effects of varying p... [J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1995] - PubMed - NCBI

Granny :wave:

18. If you hold it 1-2 minutes you get 3x the effect. Before you know it, youll get that spacey dizzy feeling.

*sarcasm implied* just smoke normally ;)

19. I heard holding hits in for 4 to 5 minutes is ideal. Trust me, I'm an e-doctor

20. I prefer ghosting every hit