How long to dry buds?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Arcadian, Sep 17, 2017.

1. I had my first grow of 3 auto nl x big bud plants and harvested last weekend. I cut them down a branch at a time and gave them a wet trim. They are currently hanging in my dark tent. The temp in there is low 70s, and and RH is averaging in the mid to low 60s. I have 3 small fans going as well as my exhaust fan. Not pointed at the buds.

Just curious on how long it typically takes for buds to be dry enough to put into jars. I've heard until the smaller stems snap, but I've also heard that that isn't always the case. Mine are still bending as it has only been drying for about 6 days. I'm also wondering how long to cure in pint jars. As well as how often to open them.

Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

2. Jar it when the stems snaps when you bend them, but not snap right in half. Usually 3-5 days.

Update:
    Sorry, I didn’t finish reading before I commented. I still say dry till the stems snap, but 6 days feels long to me. Someone with more experience will have to weigh in.

Cure for at least four weeks, burping a couple times a day. Grab a hygrometer off Amazon and throw it in the jar. 62% Boveda packs are wicked as well. Burp a couple times a day. I’ve also heard to “burp” once a day, but take everything out and lay it out for a Bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. I dry for 6-9 days usually. For the most part if you bend the stem back and forth 1 or 2 times, if it snaps, it's ready to cure. Gotta be careful of mold if you plan to slowly dry them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Slow dry is good - I like wet trimming all of the leaf off I can and hanging the entire plant - a week later I can give it a final manicure and trim the nugs off the stem and set them on a screen or tray for another couple days of drying - at which point I put them in large gallon jars - but still leave the lids off - and keep the jars in a wood and glass curio cabinet we have so they continue to dry slowly - and a couple days later we put the lids on them and monitor them and burp the jars as needed.

The entire deal takes a few weeks for best results and of course longer for the actual cure.

Drying time is not only dependent on temp and ambient RH - but is very dependent on bud size and density. Smaller nugs dry much faster than dense cola tops.

J

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for the info Jerry! Much appreciated!

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. @ 60 % rh . they could never fully dry . this is to humid . i mean they will dry but you will seal them up in a jar or baggy . and once you open it they will be wet again . your chancing mold this high . you should get it dry in the 50 % range it will take 5 to 7 days. or so days to totally dry then need to cure. this is for small grows . in a commercial grow situation they crank the dehumidifier up . get it to a 35 % no chance of mold there risking hundred of thousand of dollars . and there is no cure . its off to market . this is why doing your own can be much better . my favorite website has some info on this . Original Guide to Drying & Curing Marijuana Buds | Grow Weed Easy

• Like Like x 1