How long to determine sex?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by NorthernR/T, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Ok guys so im growing some mothers bcbigbud, Purp and Sweet Island Skunk, i know the sweet island skunk is female as i took it as a clone, but the bcbigbud and Purp i started from seed, ive just flipped them over to a 12 hour cycle to determine sex, im growing them under full spectrum flourescent lights. So I was just wondering what the average time is b4 i can determine what sex they are, then flip back over to 24hr as soon as i determine what sex, and weed out the males. Any info from the guys growing from seed would be muchly appreciated!!

2. It can take up to 14 days to determine the sex once switching to 12/12. Just be patient and soon enough you shall know what you are dealing with.

Good luck. Hope it's a girl.

3. depends on the strain and usually longer flowering sativas take longer than your average kush. give it time after the change and pay close attention.

4. ok thanks, like i said i just wasnt sure how long it would take to show signs, i know what a male or female plant looks like just wasnt sure how long it would take to show sex, thanks again!!

5. It might be a better idea to not flip the light cycle to 12/12 at all until AFTER the flowers have formed. Doing so could stress your plant and activate any dormant tendencies of hermaphrodism!

IE Interrupting the light cycle may turn your mothers into effective hermaphrodites! If you collect and re-grow the seed from phenotypic hermaphrodites you will continue this trait on future generations which is bad if you want sinsemilla.

I suggest that you instead allow for the plants to grow in the veg. state UNTIL you see the developing male or female flowers (and check often), and then remove...that way ensuring you do not produce herms.

Also, If you plan on keeping them as mothers do not switch their light cycle to flowering. Instead, take clones from them, and once those are rooted, flower the clones.

6. Ive done this practice multiple times.. works great. I hate wasting my time and resources growing males. Once we flipped em to 12/12 it would take anywhere between 1to2 weeks to show... had a couple plants one grow that took close to 3 weeks. Once they showed, we flipped em back to 24/0 and grew to size. Works awesome!

7. MJ plants produce PREFLOWERS, which indicate sex, while they are in vegetative growth, long before actual flowering begins.
    I get the feeling that traditional growing knowledge and skills are sadly being forgotten.
    Read my link below.

8. oh were talking about plants? i just spent tebn minutes writing out a response about the differents between a penis and a vagina. :90

lol