How long till harvest?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CommieNerd, Mar 1, 2011.

1. I've been growing all of a week and a half and my good seeds are on their way from the UK. Those seeds say flowering in about 60 days. Is that flowering from the time it sprouts? I don't want to sound impatient, but my hydro set up has four places for plants and I wanted to try and cycle them so I'm never out of my meds. So about how long from sprout to harvest?

2. Once veg starts it takes about a month to reach maturity. Then you flip the lights to 12/12 and that's when the 60 days they are referring to starts. Might be able to knock a week off though since you are growing hydro. Hydro finishes faster than soil grows.

3. So how long until it reaches the veg state?

4. getting a seed to seedling takes around a week

vegging for a month is way overkill

5. disagree:smoke:

6. So is it in the veg state when it is a seedling?

7. #7 Rumpleforeskin, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2011

You won't want to hear this....

You can't veg and flower plants under the same lamp at the same time.

Veg is the growth cycle. The grow light is left on between 18 and 24 hours a day. How long you veg will determine how tall/big your plants will end up at harvest. A good rule of thumb is to veg to 50% of your target harvest height. It may take a few cycles to dial in your exact veg time.

Flowering starts when you switch your lights to 12 hours on and 12 hours off. The plant will slow upward growth and eventiuly stop producing new branches. At some point during flowering, all growth will stop (except bud growth). So any plants (even a sprout) under a lamp on a flowering schedule will start to show sex and grow buds. Most seeds/strains will require at least 60 days of flowering. Seed banks like to give the minimum flowering days on the package. In most cases it will take a few week more then what they say.

Soooooo, if you start plants at different times in the same grow container, you will end up with different sized plants at harvest, but you will have to harvest them all the same day (flowering time is consistent). Best to have the same sized plants. This way you can keep the lamp at the same distance to all your tops. Short plants get very little light and don't come out good.

I could go into other detail like veg nutrient formula is not the same as flower formula. If they all sit in the same bucket, you have to have one or the other.

8. Not at all. Thats what I wanted to find out. That just means I need to grow more than one at a time to get enough to last.

9. #9 Rumpleforeskin, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2011

Some folks will make separate rooms. One for veg and one for flowering. When plants are at the correct height they are dragged over to the flowering room and new plants are started in the veg room. This can reduce your complete cycle between harvests (no longer having to wait for plants to veg).

After this harvest, you might want to try single unit grow containers. It will give you a lot more options and flexibility. Short plants can be boosted (with blocks) to the same height as the tall ones.

10. You could set up a perpetual grow, have your hydro room lighting on 12/12 flower cycle continually and put plants in there at different times so that their harvests are staggered. For example, with 4 buckets you could put a plant in to start, then 2 weeks later put another new plant in, then 2 weeks later another, then 2 weeks later another. After 2 more weeks your first plant will be ready to harvest, take it out and put a new one in and now you will have a plant coming due every 2 weeks.

This is not very practical from seed, so you would want a small setup to have a mother plant and take clones for your new plants that go into the flower room. You also should consider a training technique like LST to keep the plants short, otherwise you will have very tall and very short plants in the same flower room, leaving the short plants too far away from the light.

11. Thats one thing I dont understand. Ive read several threads and watched videos and I really dont understand LST. Do you just keep trimming the branches until they grow sideways? Im just kind of lost on this one.

12. LST is Low Stress Training. It means no cutting at all. Most people see this as bending branches and tops over with string, I feel that the use of a screen is a superior form of low stress training (most call it a "SCROG" or screen of green).

Training your plant to grow an even canopy of identical branches is done to best utilize your grow space and maximize the effectiveness of your lighting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. So those are all one plant? Each pic? Hmm. This is going to be interesting to try and do.

14. time line is like this. Seed --- Germination ---- Sprout ---- seedling ---- Veg --- Bloom -- Harvest --- Dry ---- Cure ---- Smoke.

Germination is usualy 1 week.
    Sprout through seedling stage 2 weeks.
    Veg is as long as you want to grow the plant. Usualy 4 weeks.
    Flower 8-12 weeks depending on strain.
    Harvest 1/2 days depending on how many plants you have.
    Dry --- 12-20 days humidity dependant.
    Cure 2-3 weeks.

so from seed to smokable weed 4-5 months... but if you thwn start a continues grow you can get a harvest every 8-12 weeks...

15. [quote name='Rumpleforeskin']You won't want to hear this....

You can't veg and flower plants under the same lamp at the same time.

Wrong!! you could put auto's under 18 hours of light and thus flower plants and veg regular strains under the same light :D

16. beautiful grow rumple...what strain......would you call that a traditional scrog or almost a scrog/sog ..how many plants 6..kolas are awesome..you da man:hello:i got 3sensi skunk#1 in my screen now and i was tryin' ta keep em lower but after that im gonna just let them kolas grow:p

17. Great contribution. Thanks for helping to make things easy to understand.

18. The pictures above are of two plants (White Widow).

Here is a single plant SCROG:
    [​IMG]

Just a basic SCROG. Not a SOG (See Of Green). See of green is doing a lot of small plants to make the canopy. That is not what this is.