how long till germ is done?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Cyproz, Dec 12, 2008.

1. when germinating how long do u wait untill planting the seed. i like to wait till theres a nice quarter of a inch of root out. how soon can i wait, cause one of my seeds the root just just just so ever slightly came out.

2. There is no need to germinate really. Putting seeds in soil does work just fine without pre-germinating them. So, to answer your question... You don't have to wait at all.

In your case, go ahead and drop it in. It will be just fine.

3. cool then ill drop in all 4 even tho only 2 cracked, why do people pre germ them?

4. Just make sure you keep the soil moist and warm (a little above room temperature is fine) and you should see them come up in a few days.

I don't really know where germination started. I think a lot of newer growers do it because a) they have been told it is necessary and b) it's takes the guesswork out of it. Sticking a seed in the soil and just waiting without being able to see what's going on drives some growers nuts.

Good luck.

5. thanks for all the info hopefully they sprout soon

6. They will. Just keep them warm and moist and be patient. Also, fight the urge to go digging around to see what they are doing. I would say in 4-5 days (probably less) you will see those little beauties poke through the soil.

Good luck.

7. do u think i should put a heat mat on the lowest setting under the drainage tray? not much water in the tray so dont worry about fire.

8. I have never found it necessary to use a heating pad, but I know others do. I just try to keep the area a little above room temp and it always works for me. But, I also don't see any harm if you have to heat them just a little bit.

Good luck.

9. should i leave the lights on or wait till theres a sprout? i have about 83 watts on 4 little pots/seeds.

10. No reason to leave the lights. I mean you can if you want to but you would just be wastig electricity. Once they poke their heads through the soil then you can add light. Until then it is like giving a reading lamp to a blind person.

OK, I feel kind of bad about that, but I couldn't think of anything else appropriate. Please don't flame me for being prejudice against the blind. Thanks. :)

11. lol that was funny, um well im kinda using the lights as heat but ill just use a heat mat if its faster without light

12. The light can be a good heat source. I was just saying it isn't necessary for the seeds while they are underground. If you need it as a heat source then by all means. Just keep an eye on the moisture of the soil as the light may make it evaporate quicker.

13. well i put seran wrap over each of them with some holes after misting them throughly

14. #14 cantharis, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2008
    If you are going to put the seed in soil anyway, why mess about with paper towels that rip off the first fine hairs that form? Plant in soil, keep the container warm and moist. Paper towels offer no advantage whatsoever.