Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How long til it goes bad?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by ChipsHandon, Sep 10, 2011.

1. So soon I am going to be taking an internship and I cannot bring my stash with me. If I just leave it in a mason jar will it be moldy and unusable 3-5 months from now? If not, will the potency decrease? Are there steps I can take to more effectively preserve it? How long have I got before I need to start worrying about all of this?

2. make sure it is completely dry then mason jar it and it will be fine. or you can just smoke it all and have yourself one hell of a day and just buy more bud when you get back.

3. Your t break will be worth it

4. Keep it out of the light.
    Keep it at room temperature.
    Keep it in an air-tight container.

Follow those steps and it will definitely be the same in 5 months.

5. even if it does dry out, you can throw in a leaf of fresh lettuce and itll get some moisture back. Ive done this with bud and blunts that i didnt smoke and it fixed them right up. It doesnt make the weed wet, just makes it not crumbly.

6. Thanks for the advice so far. Should I look into getting one of those moisture sucker packets that they put in luggage before they sell it, or would that just dry shit out? I've also heard rumors that putting it in the fridge helps maintain potency because of the cold.

7. Air tight container, try orange peels, those work for giving the bud it's moisture back and won't give it too much either so it's like moist when you pick it up again. Mason jar's are bomb I need to get some of those. For now, I'm using pill bottles which also work :cool:

8. Anyone have the scoop on if keeping it in the fridge is beneficial?

9. put it in the freezer, i've done this when i either have to take a break or go somewhere for a couple weeks. it should be fine in a mason jar as long as it stays room temperature and out of the sun.

10. We're talking potentially up to 5 months here though. Has anyone out there ever done something like this before?

11. Chips weed lasts for years don't sweat it.

12. why does everyone think weed will go bad like it's a fucking vegetable in your fridge?? no, your stash will be fine 3 months from now.

13. Because its a plant, lol

14. [quote name='"RenegadeReefer"']why does everyone think weed will go bad like it's a fucking vegetable in your fridge?? no, your stash will be fine 3 months from now.[/quote]

Because it basically is....

Weed does go bad. But no you'll be fine in that amount of time.

15. As long as you keep it in an airtight, dry and dark spot it should be good.

16. this. Also if you can refrigerate it even better. dont freeze it- effs up the trichomes

17. Buds are flowers, not vegetables. As long as you keep it in a cool dark place, in a mason jar, you'll be fine. You can also throw it all in a bottle of alcohol and have an awesome tincture waiting for you when you get back.

18. If you're t-breaking because of a drug test for the internship, then I would just make a SHITLOAD of edibles, and eat them after the drug test. Nobody would ever know if they were in brownies too. But if you REALLY can't take the buddah, then it should be fine!

19. #19 Storm Crow, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2011
    A study that is likely older than you are, but still of interest!

The stability of cannabis and its preparations on storage. (abst – 1976)
    [FONT=&quot]The stability of cannabis and its preparat... [J Pharm Pharmacol. 1976] - PubMed - NCBI[/FONT]

Solutions of pure cannabinoids, nine samples of herbal and two of resin cannabis (one freshly prepared) were stored in varying conditions for up to 2 years. Exposure to light (not direct sunlight) was shown to be the greatest single factos in loss of cannabinoids especially in solutions, which should therefore be protected from light during analytical and phytochemical operations. Previous claims that solutions in ethanol were stable have not been substantiated. The effect of temperature, up to 20 degrees, was insignificant but air oxidation did lead to significant losses. These could be reduced if care was taken to minimize damage to the glands which act as "well filled, well closed containers". Loss of tetrahydrocannabinol after exposure to light does not lead to an increase in cannabinol, but air oxidation in the dark does. It is concluded that carefully prepared herbal or resin cannabis or extracts are reasonably stable for 1 to 2 years if stored in the dark at room temperature.

As long as it is cool, dry and in the dark, you'll be fine!

Granny :wave:

20. Its not though. If anything its a dried plant. Dried plants don't usually rot now do they?

You can keep weed for years. I bet you some of the weed you have bought has been pretty old. It takes a while for weed to deteriorate. As long as you keep it in jars it will be fine.