Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How long should you hold your hits?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Deleted member 476945, Mar 27, 2012.

1. What about with vaping? I've heard that you have to hold in hits longer to absorb THC when you vape. Any veracity to that?

2. I would think that the reason is that since you're vaping it doesn't matter if you hold your hit forever as there is no actual solid combusted material depositing itself in your lungs.

3. ghoash that shit take your hit tothe dome till you get tunnel vision and everything tuns black and white and you feel like your falling over and then breath out hopefully you dont pass out ive done that before

4. well if ya being all technical and shit yeaa i guess it doesnt make a difference..but if ya wanna be chill and high: inhale, hold it, hit one more time, inhale & exhale, and pass the joint my friend :smoke:

5. And holding that hit in hard is NOT going to get the THC into your system any faster or better! What it WILL do is damage the bullae (tiny air sacks in your lungs).

There are many cases where permanent lung damage has occurred from just clamping down on hits! (I could dig up the studies, but I don't feel like going over to PubMed right now. Just take my word on it.)

Granny

6. I always hold for around 5 seconds when hitting a bong. When i smoke blunts i exhale very shortly after inhaling.

7. [quote name='"Time_Hacker"']Yeah swallowing doesn't really help get you high and sometimes results in me burping out smoke and shit. Usually I try and hold in tokes for as long as possible.[/quote]

Funny story about burping smoke.

I was in a TD bank waiting for ATM. Well not in the bank but the separate part that's in like a 12x8 ft glass enclosure and so I'm waiting and I burp(unexpectedly) and smoke pours out of my mouth(just took a few bowl hits prior to entering the bank).

I look up and see some random guy that's in the bank looking out towards the ATM part and a sign that says "Smile, your on camera."

8. 2-3 seconds max. Think about it, THC trichomes [heads] are extremely small, how long do you think it takes your lungs to absorb that going through your alveoli's tiny veins (or whatever and absorb) The heads of the trichomes are the only part containing THC, the rest of the trichome is just CBD/CBN whcih will make you feel more foggy headed and lethargic and burn out harder when you come down and get worse munchies.
    Now if you're a pain relief/insomnia patient or what not then you might want those extra CBD/CBN for more efficient pain relief.

9. before taking the hit, exhale all the air you have in your lungs. then take the hit and dont exhale immediately, but instead inhale through your nose a little and then blow it out. when you inhale through your nose you make sure you're getting the most out of the hit. it lasts a good 2-3 seconds once you get the hang of it.

10. I inhale then I inhale air through my nose then I blow out all in 10sec

11. 3 seconds is enough for maximal THC absorption.

12. 2-3 seconds max.
    Anything more than that (as weird as this sounds) makes me feel less high.
    It's like this:
    -Hold it for 2-3 seconds, get an intense high with minimal burn out at end.
    OR
    -Hold for 5-7 seconds, feel less of an intense high, and more of a foggy headed, lethargic, headache-inducing high where all I wana do is eat/sleep/and think a LOT.

13. When I'm smokeing I hold my hits in for 3 seconds when vapeing more like 7 seconds.

14. Ghosting is old school and in the past Haha

15. I hold them about 10 Secs. I was reading a paper put out by someone at Normal (I know never trust a stoner about Health issues) and they were talking about the difference in holding times. The 2-3 secs works and anything over 10 means you are not accepting any more THC at that time. When you exhale there will be THC if it was a bigger hit then your lungs can process.

The lung can only absorb so much before it needs more O2 to do more. So when you hold it longer you are not going to get any Higher.

So I normally do a quick 10 count then get rid of it. Any longer and you will get dizzy from lack of O2.

16. I do this also.

17. Yer probs hold it around 2 to 3 seconds anymore and its probs pointless

18. It depends on how much weed you got, usually 2-3 seconds is normal.

19. I can smoke and take rips and exhale normally

Or I can hold rips in till I start seeing black "blackout" it's easy for someone who is used to th expansion and burn when smoking the flower