how long should this take?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Kanatiki, Aug 20, 2011.

1. So, ive got unlimited time on my hands, gots no jerb (waiting on one :\ ) and i recently started P90X (3 weeks ago). I tried working out before, but i was just too lazy, i was 197 lbs. @ 6'0 when i got my scale a few months ago, 192 lbs when i started P90X and running these past weeks, now at the end of week 3 im down to 186.7ish. I dont really have any goals besides to get more fit and see my abs before year's end, and im not really following the nutrition guide that came with the program, im just eating a really low-cal/carb diet that consists mainly of egg whites in the morning, protein shake+apple after morning workout, snack (handful of nuts/cottage cheese, <150cal), then dinner has consisted of frozen cod/chicken breast/frzn turkey burger/frzn veggie burger these past few weeks.

I never really worked out before but im getting into the swing of things with P90x, you may disagree with this choice, but i lack structure, i find myself taxed between doing that, running, and doing extra pushups each day. (100 pushup program, couch-to-5K running program). I also completely stopped smoking cigs cold turkey 3 weeks ago. I plan on doing P90x until i finish it, then do it again til i get a job (or steal P90X2 when it comes). When i do get a job i guess ill go get a gym membership to build strength, i really have no clue.

Anyways, if there is something wrong with what im doing please tell me :D

Here are some questions:
    1. how long will it take to see my abs?
    2. what do i do after i reach my "goal", do i have to work out like this forever? What constitutes "maintenance"?
    3. stopped eating fast food, really craved a big mac last night so i got one ( i had only eaten an apple and banana that day) and felt so guilty...when i do reach the point when i can eat this stuff again? and what is appropriate during "maintenance"?

4. Im sticking to this "couch-to-5k" program, surpassing it somewhat, my cardio is awesome, for the first time ever my legs got tired instead of my lungs a few days ago...i still get light DOMS in my legs after running, but after week 2 i havent gotten DOMS anywhere else (had it in pecs/triceps bad) and i work out harder than i did then, im getting somewhat stronger, but i feel like my pushups and abdominal region really blow and progress is slow. I was in the military (navy = not so physical at all) and could pump out WAY more than i do now...do i need someone to yell at me? i could do about 50 after 2 months of boot camp, now im maxing out at like 18....i just feel weak....how long til i get stronger?

5. any helpful comments/tips for a total workout newb? i really only have basic understanding, also keep in mind i have a totally open schedule 24/7.

thanks for reading and helping me with my BS! :D

2. One thing you'll for sure need to do is eat more than you do now.

3. lol, after i workout in the morning (usually 45min running/50min workout - maybe 1.5 hours yoga or 50min cardio in addition before breakfast if im feeling froggy) i take a shower and sleep from 130pm-2pm to like 430-530pm and feel better afterwards....i feel like im trying to drive a car with one hand blindfolded, im pretty lost when it comes to fitness. Also have noticed myself eating more when i shouldnt be recently....right before bed. its also like really hot here in louisiana, and ive been running in 100+ degrees, i sweat tons and feel better about what im doing.

on a side note, i feel way better mentally than i do physically....i just wish i had a plan of action to make use of my unlimited time.

4. Set a new goal. Unless you don't want to keep bettering yourself? If you stop working out and eat maintenance calories then your weight should stay the same but you will slowly lose muscle and strength.