How long does it usually take for a seed to germinate?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by LovingTree, Aug 9, 2010.

1. My seed didn't germinate over night D:

It sank to the bottom of the cup and absorbed water, but it hasn't sprouted a tip yet in the germination. Does it sometimes take longer than 1 night?

2. i've had em pop in less than 24 hour and some take 3 or 4 days..i wouldn't leave them in the glass that long though..i use the papertowel method when i dont just stick em in coco:wave:

3. I took it out of the cup after 10 hours.
    Used the germination 420 guide, I moved it from my cupboard downstairs next to my hot tub.
    Hopefully the hot tub moisture and heat will help.

4. Sounds good. Just don't let the paper towel dry out. You want it to be damp.

Alternately, you can plant the seed before it cracks and just wait t see what happens.

5. Wow I find it really hard to believe that this hasn't already been covered somewhere on this site.

6. I'd hate to waste fox farm soil... I have hope though. It's barney's farm seed bank. I kinda lied too, haha it's been about only 12 hours. Should I give it till tomorrow night?

7. Dude it can take up to a week or more. 1 night is not enough. Did you do any research at all?

8. Yeah tons.. chill out man. Read the section of this forum, jeez. I just never saw anything about how long it might take, so I asked a question here!

9. my barneys lsd popped in less the 24...red dragon took 2 days...if you want some good old school seed advice check out the mandala seed banks info....should be manditory reading...relax...barneys is good gear:wave:ps...1 week and their both lookin' phat and sassy

10. It is not uncommon for seeds to take a couple of days to crack and even up to a week in rare cases.

11. Haha alright thanks guys for the assurance. Yeah it looks more plump actually, like it has absorbed the water. Just no sprout yet.

I'll wait it out. :) Just really excited, this is my first grow

12. Who knew gardening could be so much fun?

13. #13 justmeagain, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2010

Its the anticipation of the harvest that makes the gardening of MJ fun :)

It can normally take anywhere up to 14 days before you see a tap root.

Alot of factors are involved like how the seed was stored, the water used to germinate, light issues while germination is happening

MJ stands for Marijuana not Magic Junk :cool:

If your rushing the germination now I hate to see when your into a month of Vegetation and 8 weeks of Flowering and another month of curing :devious:

Stop by my grow in the sig and watch the process currently happening

14. Alright, one more thing I noticed. My seed went from gray/green with dark gray specks to almost all BLACK and bigger. Is this good or bad?

15. Hrmm, I never had this problem, Mine show a tap root after a couple days and get planted

16. You're making germination seem tough bro. Just sit back relax and wait for a tap root

17. The black is bad. Probably won't happen. Sorry. I planted a few seeds a few days ago, several popped but when one turns black its rotting and most likely won't pop.

BeZ...V

18. I dont agree with everything mandala has to say. I use A dome not for humidity but to maintain A constant temperature. I always open it for A minute of so every few hours to let fresh air in but you could get the dome with vents. Also I DO soak them for 12 hours before putting them in rw cubes. It definatley speeds up germination and no more than 12 hours is not going to rot or drown the seed.

19. Forgot to mention that I maintain a temperature of 77f-80f inside that dome. no more than 80f though because yes, that could lead to fungus growth.