How long does it take to get addicted to cigs?

Discussion in 'General' started by DutchX8, Jul 12, 2009.

1. I've been smoking for about 2 weeks now, averaging 1-2 cigarettes a day. I started because I wanted to cover the smell of weed in my car, and also because since i'm not used to nicotine, I get slightly high off smoking a cigarette.

I still don't ever crave a cigarette, I just smoke if I feel like it. I don't want to get addicted, but I feel like it would have happened already. I've read that it has to do with your genes, some people get hooked easier than others. If I continue to smoke 1-2 a day, how long would it take to get hooked?

2. It will be like a gradual subconscious act. You won't even realize you're smoking.

I was HOOKED for a week, in Cuba. But then I stopped. I was smoking 25+ cigs a day. Terrible, I know.

3. Dude, you are hooked. "I just smoke if I feel like it." Thats the feeling. Scept more and more you'll feel like it.

4. This man is right. You just wait OP. I've been smoking cigs for 4-5 months. And when I started I was just like you. But now... hmmm, well heres a real life example that happened yesterday.

I smoked a cig on the way to my friends house. They don't know I smoke cigs, and I don't tell them. I was there for 5 hours. Left her house at 5 in the morning and before I even started my car to go home I lit up my cig, took a drag and literally said "Aaaaahh, thats good." I was actually craving a cig. So just give it a few months and you will be craving them.... often.

5. i have been smoking for like half a year and still dont crave them, i havnet has one in 6 days, it depends on who you are, just watch what you do.

6. IMO if you smoke three days in a row, you are hooked. I have a couple once and awhile when I'm drunk, but no more than once a month.

7. When I said "I just smoke if I feel like it", I meant that I don't get an urge to smoke. I didn't smoke at all yesterday and I was fine. By addiction, I meant feeling that you need a cigarette -- not being able to function well/feeling like shit until you smoke.

8. Never really smoked cigarrettes, few here and there over the years but imo stping before you get to the addicted stage will save you trouble in the long run.

9. The truth is, after a single puff of a cigarette you WILL get lung cancer. It's science.

10. true that

11. But that's exactly how it starts, "Hmm... I feel like a smoke." those smokes will eventually start coming more frequently, still without a negative reaction if you don't get one, then one day you thought you were fine until you have one and realize it was a relief to take that first drag, then you'll start noticing your feel like shit with out them. There is no set amount of time. If you want to cover the smell of pot in your car buy some air freshener.

12. it depends on the person and how the receptors for dopamine and nicotine in your brain are genetically inclined.

13. Stop now. Being addicted to smoking is terrible, and it is something that you don't want to feel.

14. It takes ONE cig to start addiction but its weak and can be easly beaten, at this point man, your fucked im sorry but ur addicted. try quiting just to see if you can and you will know what i mean. I recomend swaping cigs with a joint.

15. It was wierd, i smoked like 4-5 a day, almost every day for like 6 months, and like one day i was just like,, wow.. i dont wana cig
    And i kinda just stoped

16. Wait you started smoking the number one killer in the world......to mask a smell? DUDE!!!...

Why do you think glade and febreeze exist man? Stop now.....don't wait ANY longer dude....cigs=suckage.

17. Ive been smoking ciggarrettes on for the last year and a half. What a delightful waste of money!

18. here's how i see it. you quit when you want to quit. right now you know that cigs are bad for you and you know you SHOULD quit. but you'd rather take that extra risk and have another smoke. I smoked for about two years and on day just decided i didn't want to keep smoking and i didn't smoke for about 6 months. then I had 1 off cigarette and started it all over again. I just started quitting for the second time but only a week in and sometime i feel like i'd like to have a smoke. just be careful addiction is sneaky

19. Yeah, this.

20. yeah its best to quit while youve just started, rather than quitting later in life