How Long Does It Take For A Pre-Germed Seed To Sprout/break Surface?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by the_tobzster, May 10, 2014.

1. #1 the_tobzster, May 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2014
    Hey guys, hope you're all good. I was just curious from your experience how long does it roughly take for a pre-germinated seed to break the soil surface and sprout? I planted 2 out of my 3 seeds (Auto Sweet Cheese and Auto Purp) just a bit less than 48 hours ago, I then planted my Auto northern lights a day later. I had thoroughly soaked the soil, drained it and then placed the seeds tap root up (they landed that way when moving them) about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch in the soil (maybe a bit deep?). I then placed clingfilm over the top of the pots to hold the moisture in. The NL which I planted a day later I put 1/4 inch in soil with root tip DOWN.

So far nothing has broke the surface in all three of the pots but I think I am just being impatient. My plants last year broke the surface in less than 24 hours so I sort of used that as a guideline. 

Pot sizes are 2x 7.5 litre ( about 1.7 gallons) and 1x 5 litre.

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Depends some take 2days others can take a week also depends how deep u plant them i plant mine so the seed is level with soil then sprinkle some soil on top so that i can brush back soil to ckeck on them without causing damage. You should always plant the sprouting root faceing down.

3. Sounds like you buried them a bit deep, I like to plant mine about a 1/4 inch down. Then I just keep the soil moist but not soaking. I dont use the plastic wrap over the top of the pot, I keep my lights on when im waiting for the babies to pop ground and the plastic wrap acts like a big magnifying glass. Thats just my way of doing it, you will find a bunch of other options here. Some good some bad you just need to find your own groove.

Happy Growing

4. So far mine has ranged from 3days to a full effing week... so what I learned is be patient and wait for the magic to happen. ... and I agree with green man always root tip facing down and no more then 1/4 inch in....

when your this hated, its hard to be loved.......

Thanks for the feedback man. Actually funnily enough just a couple of hours after posting this 2 of my 3 babies are beginning to sprout out of the soil. AND I accidentally planted them with the root tip pointing up, so that cool :D

6. trust me bro one of the biggest lessons you need to learn is litfa or leave it the fuck alone when she is in trouble I promise she will let you know and if you dont know what she is saying ask man this a community we may disagree but we all want the same thing for every one of us to grow the best meds possible. ....

when your this hated, its hard to be loved.......

• Like Like x 1