Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How long does it take bud to go bad

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Grade a kush, Sep 13, 2013.

1. I want to buy an ounce to save money but I dont want my bud to go bad/lose quality before I smoke it all. I would keep it in a glass mason jar under my deck. In the winter would it stay fresh longer because its cold out?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. :hello: Storing an ounce in a mason jar is a good idea but I would recommend keeping it indoors (In a closet or under your bed is a good spot) where the temperature is more regulated. Too hot will make it prone to mold. Too cold and the trichomes freeze and become brittle and will fall off.

When I buy an ounce of flowers, I store them in a mason jar under my bed for 3-4 weeks until gone and they stay fresh and do fine. 

3. You should also consider using a smaller container to keep 2-3 days worth in (medicine bottle?), that way you're not always opening the big stash, exposing it to air.

As far as winter/summer, I've never noticed a whole lot of difference, I rarely hold flowers for months, and if I do they're alone in a medicine bottle somewhere safe.  BUT, I have noticed (at least when I lived on the east coast), bud got drier and lost weight and trichromes in the winter, whereas it stayed moister in the summer (to a lesser degree the humidity also has an effect on the consistency of BHO, especially when exposed to changes in heat).

4. As long as you need to smoke it, it'll store. If you dont want the main batch to go stale/dry just split it between multiple jars if you plan to smoke on this over the course of months.

I'm at about 3 years on some of my jars. The slow rot catches up to you around then and the weed really ambers up / darkens and smells sour. Still potent, and no visible mold, but I doubt it should be stored for much longer. In a fridge/cooler/freezer with no agitation they might have lasted even longer.

5. I have weed that I grew in 2007 that is still good. I store it it Mason jars in my house.

6. Wow that's amazing. I'll have to take note of that. Thanks for posting!  :)

GREAT advice, forgot to mention that. I use a medicine bottle from a dispensary and do exactly this method.

@[member="usandthem"] That IS amazing :eek: . Thanks for posting.

8. It stays good for years. As mentioned, split it into smaller jars, keep it at room temperature, and dark. It needs to be dry too so there's no risk of mold.

9. I have some that I grew that has been in mason jars for two years and if anything is more potent than ever. Try to keep the jars as full as possible and store in a cool, dark place. Keep a smaller jar to use out of so you're not exposing the buds to too much air.
    For real long term storage I would vacuum seal and freeze it.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. I usually store my buds in mason jars when I harvest or when I buy from clubs. If the bud is pretty wet or moist open the jars every so often and leave the top off for 5-10 mins to release excess moisture. It has worked for me and iv kept buds for up to a few years. I take only what I need from the main jar so like other posters said the buds don't go stale. When I need a personal stash I put roughly a fatty 1/8 or 1/4 out and leave the rest in the main jar to keep the others fresh😁

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. Good point. You do need to watch your bud closely for awhile when you put it in jars. I dry mine until the buds feel dry but the stems are still not quite to the snap stage. Then burp the jar every day for a few days, then every few days, then every week for probably a month or two. You do not want any moisture in the jar or it will mold. Over dry and you get crispy buds. It doesn't take too much practice to get the hang of it. Use clear jars and you can easily see any moisture forming. Just keep them in a dark place. I keep mine in a gun safe with a couple plug in desiccant things in it. And make sure to use lids that seal air tight like the two piece canning jar lids. The one piece plastic lids do not seal well and I won't use them. I have in the past and ended up with crispy dry buds.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. I have weed from my. 2010 grow that is still good.