How long does it take a seed to sprout?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by BigBadBarl, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Hey everyone,
    So, having followed Stylez stickied germination guide, I believe I'm about half way to a successful germination with some bagseed. It's been a couple of days, I'm keeping the soil moist, not watering, checking a few times a day, etc., but I've got no sense of how long it'll be before I see a little bud sprout. So, how long does it normally take, and after what point should I call the project *dead*?

2. Since the seed was already sprouted when you placed it in the soil it should be working its way to the surface pretty quickly. I would say you should probly see it in a day or so. You should let us know how the grow goes.

3. don't call it dead for a while. i had 1 of my seeds sproat after 2 or 3 days (i don't really remember) but the other seed didn't sproat till 4 days later, i picked up the cup to go and start over right when i noticed something barely poking up.

just give it time

4. mine sprouted in less than 24hrs with rapid rooter and a heat mat.

5. Enless you are for some reason pressed for time, I would give it a 5 days to a week, and then call it a failure.

6. I had some after germ that sprouted in a day... some took about 3 days. I agree with above posts though, give it some time before you decide to call it quits.

7. normaly 2-3 days on a windowsil

8. I'm with the consensus. Bud will surprise you, give it time.

9. It usually takes 1-5 days, maybe longer. Just give it a week at least. If nothing appears after a week then chances are its a blank.

I've found that using a an old glass lizard cage, with metal repair tape covering the inside (works almost like brushed aluminum for reflectiveness), then I have 2x 26W CFL's in a lizard lamp fixture that fits on top of the cage. Not only does it heat up the cups the sprouts are in, but they've got plenty of light for at least a week.

I put the seeds in solo cups 2 days ago and 2/3 have already poked their heads above soil (2 of them did yesterday, about 36 hours after planting them). I expect the 3rd one to come up today.

Goodluck man