how long does does it take for cannabis seeds to sprout..?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by JaKobtheKushMan, Jun 24, 2013.

1. hey guys am not an absolute beginners but didnt know were else to put this so anyway here goes germinated my seeds about 2-3 days ago the taproot was comin though and the seed was cracking so a planted it in soil that i pre soaked but the problem is am pretty sure they should have broke the surface by now but no sign at all and its been in the soil about 3 days now ..? am i worring to much or what..? any help would b much apppricated guys..! and its good too b back in GC..! hello to all ")

• Like Like x 1
  2. Some seeds just wont make it sadly. When you say you pre-soaked the soil what exactly do you mean? Too wet and they will probably drown before sprouting, too dry and they will likely die.

3. soil was dry as hell so a poured a lil water till it ran out the bottom of the pot then mad a hole n put the seed in it root down seed up 2 coming on 3 days..! they better work coz they were like £8-£10/$10-$15 a seed man !!!!

4. Most seeds (showing taproots when planted) will sprout the surface between 1-5 days. Patience is crucial in this stage of cannabis growth. 

5. I see part of the problem, you may have over-watered the soil. I like it to be mildly damp and nothing more.
    The other problem is that it sounds like you planted the seed to deep. You want to go about 1/4 inch to maybe 1/2 inch at the most and lightly cover it with soil. The deeper the seed the less likely it will make it above the surface. If you can get some bagseed then i suggest that you practice germ + planting till you find a way to have a 100% success rate. I don't wanna see those expensive seeds go to waste haha.

6. plant the seeds about one knuckle deep, then dont water. If it goes 5 days you can water around the edge of the pot but never pour water on a germinating seed. 

7. i buried them about that range and light coverd it with soil

8. I just wasn't sure what you meant by a mad hole haha. I took that as being like 2 inches deep or something lol. Well like Ozzie X mentioned above me it all comes down to having patience and just waiting and watching.

9. Between 70-90 degrease, in  a high humid environment it can take the seeds anywhere from 2-7 days to sprout.

-Sources from Jorge Cervantes grow DVD thing.

10. it is sitting about 71-72 degrees , the humidity is 52% cant get it any higher . The soil is moist but not waterlogged . I think im just going to have to bide my time and be patient as long as its sprouted before next weekend i shouldnt have anything to worry about then ? thanks for the help guy been driving myself nuts here ")

11. I plant my already popped beans 1/4" and they pop up the next day

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I usually soak the beans overnight in a shot glass of de-chlorinated tap water, then place between a damp paper towel, between two dinner plates.  The top plate is inverted to create a clam shell.  Then cover the plates with a dish towel to discourage light leaks.  Make sure the paper towel is damp and not soaked.  The seeds should crack in 2-3 days, check each day to make sure the paper towel doesn't dry out.  Wait for tap root to be at least .5 inches long, use pencil to make hole in the soil to place seed into.  I use solo plastic party cups, and I poke a bunch of holes into the bottom and sides for drainage.  I thoroughly water the soil first, poke hole into soil, plant tap root down, and cover by using the pencil to push dirt sideways toward the hole, this makes sure the soil contacts the plant and doesn't leave the root in a hollow space.  Like Ozzie said put them, one knuckle deep.  Then I cover the solo with a sandwich bag to create a humidity dome.

In your predicament, I would do the watering on the side of the plant's hole and cover with a baggy or plastic wrap, something.  Then wait a few days for signs of life.  Sometimes you just get duds, expectantly from the attitude.

Good Luck bro...   Pm me, if you want some advice on where to pick up your next seed order.  :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. A lot of people drench seeds with water. All you need to do it the temp stays nice and high, and drizzel some water over it every day until it pops out, be careful not to drown it though. If you touched the root when transplanting you may have killed it. (Human skin has oils that can damage roots). The transplant could have also sent it into shock or broke the root while puting it in soil. If in a week it does not pop up then give it another week. After 2 weeks total it has not poped then dig it up and investigate and learn from mistakes. NPK of soil is also important at this phase. You need an N Greater or equal to the P and K. The best soil ratios for seedlings are 5:1:1 or 8:4:4. You will need to transplant it once it hits it's vegitative state though, to an NPK more appropriet.

14. we have a sport yeahhhh..! just waiting for the rest ur were right guys patenice is key just me been a noob lol ! cheers for the help al keep u informed about the rest if and when they sprout..! =)

15. A sprout sorry n i now have 2 came though and the others are coming i can c them yeahhh :) well chuffed lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. When you put the sprouted seed in your solo cup,do you put directly in the sun? Or do you put sandwhich bag over n leave in a dark place til it shows on the surface?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. I planted a germinated seed and it sprouted 3 weeks after all the others. I just planted it too deep without realizing it. If you don't drown it or let it dry out it will eventually come up. If you put a ziplock bag over your pot or put some saran wrap around it you won't have to water as often and the moisture will stay a little more consistent. Plus you will want something over it when it sprouts anyway.

18. Cannabis is so easy to grow, so desirable to so many, and so rewarding to its grower, that the desire to be successful can distract from what "growing" actually is.

Growing Cannabis has become to so many this exacting, precise, technical, and arduous process where every single variable is calculated out to the n'th degree.

This is simply wrong.

Cannabis grows marvelously out in the wild where nature takes its course. Where there are no anxious men watching her every hour of the day to see if she will grow.

Cannabis is a shy plant. Cannabis likes to grow unattended and free out on the mountains of South America and the rocky slopes and fields of Afghanistan.

I say plant her and let her grow. She will tell you what she needs and when she needs it. Don't stress too much over things. When she is young you have to spoon feed her and be gentle, but she quickly grows and once she begins to stretch, leave her alone and she will tell you when she is thirsty or hungry.

I think more new growers should study the Cannabis as a plant instead of studying about most elaborate hydroponics systems or how to scrog or top.

If you get the essentials down first, then the additional aspects of growing will be of use. However, I think nowadays, we have put the cart before the horse.

Subjects such as correct PH in your water and soil really are not studied thoroughly by new growers whereas elaborate lighting systems are.

So let us get back to the days of seeing Cannabis as a hardy, sturdy, strong, tough plant instead of this weak, delicate plant that so many think it is.

The two primary problems a Cannabis plant has to fight against are:

1. Over watering
    2. Over fertilizing.

Both of which are done BY THE GROWER.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. I'm not an expert, but I've grown plenty of weed back in the early 90's from bag seeds. Though I had done some things wrong while growing them, germination is something I've never had a problem with. Germination is simply the process of getting a seed to sprout into a taproot. At that point the seed becomes a seedling. When people say you need to 'germinate your seeds first' they are wrong by default, since any process that one uses to get a seed to sprout is a form of germination.

You don't have to do nothing fancy (like paper towels, etc) to get seeds to germinate. As long as you have the proper moisture level in your growing medium, plant the seed at a reasonable depth, don't add no harsh chemicals, don't bother them physically too much and keep them in a moderate temperature environment you should have little problem. Sometimes though some seeds are just duds, or the seedlings themselves have little hope no matter what you do with them.

There can be exceptions, such as with older or thicker seeds, when you should maybe soak them in water but I see little reason personally to make extra work for yourself by using the paper towel method, then risking molesting the seedlings by handling and transplanting them, and making sure you've planted them in the right direction, when you can simply plant them directly in the growing medium. I'm sure everybody has their own style but you don't have to do the latter in order to get a high germination rate for your seeds.

Generally my experience has been three to seven days to see the seedlings finally sprout above the ground from first planting the seeds directly in the growing medium. My success rate was pretty high too. Usually what I did was plant the seeds in small styrofoam cups (or container of your choice) using potting soil (or whatever growing medium you choose to use) about a 1/4 to a 1/2 an inch deep. Personally I had preferred the styrofoam cups because they're easy to break open without disturbing the sprouts when transplanting.

There are other quality ways to start your seeds too, such as with rockwool cubes. I made sure the soil/growing medium was moist, but not soaking. I kept these cups in areas with temperatures ranging from about 60 to 70 degrees. I usually kept a small fluorescent light above them too, though I'm not sure whether this is a factor or not, but it didn't hurt and kept my sprouts straight. I wouldn't suggest putting intense light generating great amounts of heat above your seeds though.

I did fail to get some older seeds to sprout recently, though they germinated out of the seeds. I used the paper towel method with these seeds since they were older than ten years, and some were older than twenty years I'm sure. This method also allowed me to view what the seeds were actually doing when I had little hope for them to begin with. Most of these did break open through the seed, but I couldn't get them to do anything much beyond that. I have hybrid seeds now, so hopefully I'll be lucky here myself. 

20. I keep things simple, soak them in water in a warm place for a day and put them in the dirt.

2-5 days and its says hello, or don't.

• Like Like x 1