Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How long do you hold in your hits?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by WeedIsYummy, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Im not gonna lie that was confusing, i think u were saying is that u just inhale then exhale like with ciggarettes? No need to hold it in at all?

P.S. your avatar creeps me out lol

2. So long that when I breathe, no vapor comes out

feels good mannn

3. I've read that your lungs can absorb almost all of the THC is 3-5 seconds. I really don't want to justify the prohibitionist myth of "killing braincells," so I avoid oxygen deprivation as best I can. :smoking:
    Some people like to "ghost," or "zero," meaning that they hold it until almost no smoke comes out, if I am correct. This would be good for smoking in secret.

4. That's because you are far too lazy to search, I know I've discussed this topic at least a half dozen times, every single time it's in appretice tokers because nobody in here can figure out that button labeled "search."

Response to marijuana as a function of potency and breathhold duration.

Breathhold duration and response to marijuana smoke.

Marijuana smoking: effects of varying puff volume and breathhold duration.

Enough proof for you?

5. 10 seconds, exhale half and hold for 5 again.

6. I could have sworn just last week there was some scientific study brought up on GC that said that we only needed to hold it for 2 seconds max.

EDIT: I have it saved:

"Deep inhalation and breath-holding used in attempt to absorb more THC in the lungs only increases the absorption of tar and other carcinogens. A study done by a group of doctors in Canada (Dalhousie University) concluded that more than 90% of the THC is absorbed into the lungs within the first seconds of inhalation. Another study confirms this, but they put their figure at 95% absorption. The study also concluded that within the first hour of smoking marijuana, most of the THC is absorbed completely into the lungs (meaning your lungs don't immediately take in all of the THC at once, but over the course of an hour they take it all in). The complete elimination of any trace THC has been put at 53-55 hours, which could explain while some people experience a lingering high a couple days after smoking. An almost deja-vu high if you will.

Conclusion: your lungs literally absorb 85-95% (average 90%) of the THC within the first second of inhalation; holding in a hit does nothing to increase the high, and any high experienced is either (a) placebo or (b) due to oxygen intoxication (meaning, breath really fast for 30 seconds and you'll get lightheaded and dizzy, that's oxygen intoxication)."

Idk the source, but someone does.

7. I can't hold my hits without choking then there is the 90 coughing spell. Even though pot smoke is an irritant to my throat, I blame the 35 years of msoking and over 510,000 cigarettes. And the soothing goodness of Coca Cola and carbonated flavors, chips, pretzels, Chex Mix and other dry foods have done their damage as well. One day air my become an irritant. Not too worried my mom has a good 27 years on me and she's still going.

8. Yeah whenever I can't hold mine anymore, I let half out and inhale nice fresh air, keeping smoke in my lungs. Then hold for a little longer then exhale.

9. Hate holding hits from a pipe. But depends small hits 2-5 seconds, huge hits 4-7 seconds (Thats if they don't rape my lungs).