Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How long do you hold in hits??

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by grassdude, Sep 28, 2010.

1. At least for 4-5 seconds on average. But it really depends.

2. Basically the average time to hold in hits came in at four seconds through the average of answers in this thread.:metal:

3. At least 5 seconds. Usually I hold it for more though.

4. Anymore than three seconds, you aren't absorbing anymore THC.

5. 3-5 seconds.

6. And some on here said I was stupid for doing this....Home Page

7. there is no point in holding hits in... it doesnt get you any higher. It makes you feel light headed (people confuse this with high) b/c your holding your breath and not giving your brain oxygen. Inhale-exhale

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ya man hold your hits it gets you soooo high.

Thats why I hold my breath every time I breath man gotta absorb all that extra O2 I'm missing...not

EDIT: GAH 2 month old thread.

9. Even if you was depriving of oxygen, don't you feel higher? thats all I would care about lol :cool:

10. #90 TheColonel, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2010
    Just curious if there is any real scientific data behind the, "all the THC is absorbed in X seconds"? There are a ton of people repeating this information as if it was fact. Can we show some proof and put the rumor to bed once and for all?

Given the fact that the surface of your lungs is constantly exposed to fresh blood, which the THC is transferred to, and then sent to your liver, brain, and various other extremities, I don't see why you would stop absorbing THC after 3-5 (or however many) seconds until the smoke is free of cannabinoids.

Take a nice thick bong hit and hold it for 10 seconds, then shotgun it to a friend. Rinse and repeat as necessary. They will get high because there are still cannabinoids in there.

In Robert Connell Clarke's book, Hashish!, on page 270 under the heading, "Smoking Efficiency" he writes:

I'd be curious as to where this information came from as well. 20-30 seems closer to reality since at that point you're probably not exhaling much of anything but CO2, but he doesn't cite it.

I think the real key is the point at which your exposure to the harmful effects of smoke (CO, PAH's, Benzine, etc) becomes more of a risk to your health. I wish I could tell you what that point is, and what the absorption rates are, but I can't until I see some real data.

I'm not advocating holding the hits in for a long time, because I don't know what the real health risks are, or when they become an issue. When I smoke, I usually exhale after 7-10 seconds because I hate the though of all that carbon monoxide and crap in there. When I vape, I hold it in as long as I can, and it's not the lack of oxygen that gets me higher. This is because I can hold my breath for more than 10 freaking seconds without fainting like a freaking wuss. ;):D That's just me, though.

11. I usually just hold them in for 5 seconds.