How long do seeds last?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Bajiggy, Jul 27, 2007.

1. I recently bought a sac which contained a bunch of seeds (something im not used to), so i planted about half of em, but after doing some research i realized that they probably wont give me very much bud b4 the first frost. So im wondering if the rest of my seeds could be stored until next spring? if so how do i store em?

2. I've kept seeds for up to 10 years.
    Put them in a ordinary photo-film canister. or small container (black is prefered - no light)
    and put them in the fridge.

I've germinated seeds from the 70's so yes they do last a while

3. no can do on the fridge idea man, my parents would start to get suspicious.

4. Ok just a dry dark spot should do fine.

5. alright thanks a bunch man!

6. i put mine in a matchbox and put duct tape all around it and taped it to the underside of the second shelf in a cupboard near my room. you have to put your head in and look up to even notice its there. pretty sneaky.

7. It all depends on how you stored the seeds. Seeds can be viable for hundreds and even thousands of years. Back in 2005 some guy germinated a 2,000 year old seed found in Herod the Great's palace.

8. put them in one of those black film cannisters. fill it half way with uncooked white rice (not instant.) pop the seeds in and fill it the rest of the way up. if you have a lot of beans, use something bigger or use several containers. the rice acts as a dessicant to absorb any moisture. put that in a cool, dark, dry place that you're not gonna be opening/closing all the time. you don't want to put things in the fridge/freezer, too much temperature variance. they'll last this way, a very long time. like the other poster said, seeds that are known to be thousands of years old have been found and germinated.

9. Mine have always been kept in the fridge, never had a problem, and i have about a 90% germination record. But whatever works.

And to the dude who tapes them to the inside of the cupboard, thats great - but there only seeds ? why the covert storing?

Grasscity Deals Near You