how long do i leave cuttings in a terrarium?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Jaded1983, Jan 7, 2009.

1. i took some cuttings about 5 days ago and stuck them in rockwool with some root booster.. they have stood up on their own now.. how long do i leave them in there for the humidity?

im starting to see mold build so i think i would need to take them out soon.

2. yeah i have my cuttings in a tetarium too but mold is definately bad, most likely will kill your clones, try reducing the humidy to kill the mold:rolleyes:

3. you should post a pic though

4. okay here ya go... i pulled them out of the terrarium for safety. ill put them by the fan to dry out a little. Any other suggestions?

heres some pics.

EDIT: i just pulled them out of the cubes, THEY HAVNT EVEN STARTED TO ROOT YET!? is that normal? im using the Hormex Root powder..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after the pics i trimmed the leaves by half as people have suggested it will cause the plant to work harder on growing roots... i stuck them in some fresh wool with some fresh rooting booster.

5. okay from those pics it looks like you have mabe too much water on them, they shouldent be completely soaked just pretty damp, might want to leave the lid open a bit to lower humidty, good that you replaced the moldy cubes, makes sure there is no mold on them before you put them in the same room as your other plants don't want to contaminate them. the roots will take a week or two to grow, just be patient, and pretty much any rooting powder will work fine, you can even root cannibis without rooting hormone because the plant is designed to reproduce that way in the wild.

6. your leaves look really good and healthy, not wilting at all your plants are strong and they arent going to die on you yet, i usually root in peat moss and i use rootech cloning gel but what your using will be fine in shure.:cool:

7. how long should i leave them in the terrarium?

also what would happen if i used too much root booster? is that even possible?

8. you should leave them in there for at least a week under constant or nearly constant light from a floro tube, and no i don't think you can use too much rooting booster because they are usually mostly comprised of plant hormones that signal the plant to produce roots with a small amount of very weak fertiliser, out of ceriousity though how much did you use?

9. Rockwool holds water almost to well, you want it to be slightly damp at best. I always seem to get powdery mildew when using rockwool. I've since changed to Rapid Rooters, I have a 95% success ratio using them.

I would spray the cubes/clones with a hydrogen peroxide solution to kill the mildew, the wring out the cube so it's slightly damp. Keep the humidity dome on it, and watch it, but don't mist it, or water it. When the cube is almost dried out, mist slightly, but remember to leave cube only slightly damp. When the rockwool cube is saturated, you can't get oxygen to the prospective root site. Without oxygen, you don't have a chance to grow roots........

Good Luck

10. ah ok will do.. since every time i pushed the stem down into the rock wool, it would push off most of the powder so i repeated 3 times to make sure there was some down in the rock wool... i didnt pour it in the hole or anything.. just dipped it once and then pushed it down.. and then pulled it out.. and did it 2 more times. just to make sure the powder will have contact on the bare stim i scraped back.

11. okay i took 2 fresh cuttings in addition to the 2 i already had.. i also made sure the rooting booster sticks this time and made 60-90 degree cuttings at the base of the stem.. saw that part in a video.. i also cut the leaves in half for more growth to the roots.. saw that too in a video.. and ill be sure just to mist vs actually watering them.. as the previous poster said thats probably why my roots didnt grow and the mold came about.

hopefully they will do better now *fingers crossed*

12. i use pure? or mix with water?

13. heres 2 pics.. it may look like they are touching the top of the cling wrap.. they arent.. just an illusion.

also should i poke holes in the cling wrap? or keep it air tight only opening it when misting?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. you should poke a few holes because the plants need oxygen to grow and they will use up the o2 in the dome eventually