How long do i have ?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by WeedFlows, May 6, 2009.

1. Any can tell me how long do i have till my plants get rootbound ?
    And i also need opinions on my concern which is if these pots are big enough
    till i can tell sex...Cause if they need a transplant them i might throw some away just cause i cant fit any bigger pots in there...Only thing thats written on them is 32x26 nothing more...

Soil is pretty far up...

Thanks for taking a look ppl :smoking::smoking:

Attached Files:

2. Generally, if the plant is taller than the amount of soil it is planted in, you want to transplant. You may be able to get away with that container for another week or so, but probably not much longer. Next time you transplant, I recommend filling the container with a bit more soil. You mentioned that it is pretty far up, but the picture shows otherwise. I typically leave 1.5-2 inches of space at the top for a container that size.

To answer your question, I would guess that plant will start to become rootbound in 10 days with growth stunted around 2 weeks. This is just an estimate though.

3. So you say a 5 gallon bucket is too small for some plants then?

4. #4 TitaniumFox, May 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2009
    A 5 gallon bucket is usually perfect for the average plant, if not on the larger side (which is perfectly okay if your plant is approx. 4 feet). If you have a monster that hits 6 feet before you're too late into flowering, you would technically want to transplant to a bigger pot. I prefer to move my tomato plants to their final pot before flowering so that they stretch into the new space once 12/12 starts.

Most grows finish in the 4 gallon range.

5. Any ideas oin how to fit 5 big pots in there -.- ?
    I really dont want to throw away any :(:(
    Looks like i might actually have to..

Attached Files:

6. buy some square pots they fit better then round

7. I did transplant them into these pots like 2 days ago i should wait like a week or more to move them again?im new to this so i dint really trust my hands all that much..

8. Some geometry for ya

9. #9 TitaniumFox, May 6, 2009
    Don't transplant them again right now. Wait until they have fully recovered. The advice about square pots is very good. It sounds obvious, but most people with square cabinets use round pots. :D

Remember you're likely going to be throwing some males away regardless.

Edit: I count 8 plants. Odds are you toss 4 males. I can't gauge the measurements of your grow box from the pictures, but I think 4 plants in square pots will fit perfectly in that space.

10. There are 5 plants...4 white widow and a ??strain and they are 24 day in the soil..
    The reason im so worried is cause ppl told me i cant keep these pots till they show sex...
    (which was the plan)If i somehow could keep these...Lets say i keep the same pots but "transplant"them with soil to the top of the pot ?would that help ?Seeds are not fem so im defenetly getting males...

11. #11 TitaniumFox, May 6, 2009
    The white widow will probably show sex around day 40. I hate to make estimates when it comes to sexing though, since this can always vary by a lot. I would agree that vegging those until showing sex in that pot would be cutting it too close.

As far as adding soil to the bottom... Not sure if you can do this without going through most of the transplant process anyway. If that's the case, you may as well move to a bigger container.

I think you have some wiggle room here. Wait a week and let them recover from the stress from your earlier transplant. Keep in mind what you learned from that last transplant as well. Try to double the size of the container per transplant, and keep them down to 4 transplants or less. Try to fill the pot at least 3/4 with soil. With patience and practice, you will learn to minimize stress to the plant. I've done many transplants where there was no visible recovery time.

12. #12 WeedFlows, May 6, 2009
    Previous containers whre pretty small..they got root bound so it was easy to get the out of the pot...
    im not sure how i can do this with this one..