How Long Can You Wait Before Planting A Germinated Seed?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by 4twenteey, May 10, 2014.

1. #1 4twenteey, May 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2014
    Hey guys, first grow aswell as first post, got some babies germing atm but cannot get my soil until two days from now. One of the seeds has a pretty long tap root, almost 1 inch.. Will she make it until my soil arrives? Only got some old soil that probably has 0 nutrients left, don't really want to be planting them in that.
    Cheers for answering a noob!  :smoke:

2. IMO you should plant it in a small amount of old soil until you can get something else

3. alright, thanks for the reply! :)
    so you do not think the little seedling will get too stressed out if I transplant it into better soil in a few days?

I would use something very small like dixie cup size... let it sprout out and let the soil dry out a bit before transplanting. You will need to be very careful, but it should be fine.

5. Plant a germinated seedling as soon as you see the seed crack.  Use the old soil and plant into a small pot until ready to transplant.  A young seedling does not need feeding for a couple of weeks.  Next time try planting the seed directly into your soil mix in a small pot and grow it until it is ready to be transplanted.  People have been growing seeds without this paper towel BS for thousands of years without issues and any time you touch the emerging seedling you stand a chance of infection and failure.  Pre germinating seeds is a waste of time.

PW

Yes! a solo cup is a growers best friend.....

View attachment 1375055
    View attachment 1363022

7. #7 4twenteey, May 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2014

Thanks for the information, just thought I'd use the paper towel method to save some time since my soil hadn't arrived, but I guess that was a mistake.
    Anyways how small would you recommend these cups to be?
    Also, I have yet to own some kind of oxygen/drainage aid like perlite, will the soil be useless with just the old base soil+humus?

8. larger plastic bottles will work fine as well. Put those old moutain dew bottles to use!

9. #9 4twenteey, May 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2014
    I've put the one with the long tap root in some old soil+humus in a really small container, it sprouted in about 6-10 hours! The other seeds have just cracked so I think they'll be fine until tomorrow when I get some quality soil  :)