Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How long can you store bud before it starts degrading?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by iCheif, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Pretty simple question....How long can you store buds....before it starts degrading?

I uest to put away a G of every strain I uest to get, and it actually added up to like 2 ozs of mainly great lookin 1grammer buds. I smoke most of it around 4-20 and 4-21 (my bday), so i dont come out broke at the end of the day lol

I would've like to keep some of the buds for longer but figured they start degrading over time. I keep it in a dark cool place in basement, air it out every week or so for about 15 min. Could I keep buds for longer than a year? Or is that a no go?

2. Dude, an air tight jar, painted so no light can get in will keep weed good for ever! Well maybe not forever.... But it's done me well.

3. I use a large mason jar, and get electrical tape (black) and double wrap it all around, so no light gets in, buy a moisture pack from a store, (20-50%) tape it to the top of the jar (for long term storage) or no pack for less than 6 months usually. It works great, just never disturb it to much, letting air in and out

4. It's a gradual thing, it degrades by the second but if it's airtight in room temperature in a dark place it'll probably be pretty good for about 6 months.

5. #5 Cheezeit74, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
    Okay this doesn't really answer your question but I'm not sure if everyone knows what a mason jar is.

This first pic is an actual mason jar, the second is what I think a lot of people THINK a mason jar is. The second is much better (IMO) for storing weed, yet everybody says mason jars are the best lol. Just wanted to clear that up

Btw, the second one is called a hermetic jar.

Attached Files:

6. I have weed from my outdoor grow of 2011. Still taste as good the day I cut it down. Mason jar and a dark closet

7. When I say mason jar I mean it , it's a screw off top with a metal disc to air right seal it, typically used for jams storing food for periods of time.

8. [quote name='"Cheezeit74"']Okay this doesn't really answer your question but I'm not sure if everyone knows what a mason jar is.

This first pic is an actual mason jar, the second is what I think a lot of people THINK a mason jar is. The second is much better (IMO) for storing weed, yet everybody says mason jars are the best lol. Just wanted to clear that up

Btw, the second one is called a hermetic jar.[/quote]

Jar master

9. Good to know, I got the second one.

10. They are cool but expensive.The large gallon mason jars you can fit a qp in can buy a 6pack if them for about 10 bucks.

11. Hahahaha this is going to be my new title xD

12. [quote name='"Cheezeit74"']

Hahahaha this is going to be my new title xD[/quote]

Hell yeah

13. I'm not exactly sure but i read somewhere on the internet that some researches found the oldest buds in the world locked up with a shaman XD

14. I store mine in normal mason jars in a cool dark place and it has kept for about a year. The taste just keeps getting better and potency is the same. As long as you don't open the jars all the time it wont dry out.

15. I read in an article in High Times "Once I find it, I'll post it" but anyway they found an old Chinese priest or somthin like you said. I forget how old but around 1000 years. They said the buds were in surprisingly good shape. They actually showed close up shots of the trichomes, water towers still intact. I think there might of been a little bit of mold and they didnt advise to smoke it .....but it didnt degrade much. It was in a sealed clay pot or somthing.