How long can you hold your breath?

Discussion in 'General' started by ThEbLuEMaGoO, Jan 7, 2013.

1. So I got into an argument with my brother the other day about how smoke affects your lungs. He is sooo super anti-drug that sometimes I wonder how he came out of the same womb as my and my stoner ass younger brother.

Anyway, he brought up lung capacity of (strictly marijuana) smokers VS. The capacity of a non-smoker.

This naturally led to a breath holding contest. Where I soon discovered that while sitting completely still with my eyes closed, I can hold my breath for exactly 3 minutes and 4 seconds.

My non smoking brother on the other hand, was turning red at the 1:30 mark.

I'm curious as to how this looks on a larger scale GC, set your stopwatch and time yourself, it's in the name of science!

2. You didn't hold your breath for 3 minutes man

3. So many other factors play into lung capacity that you can't directly pin marijuana on hurting them or not in my opinion.

4. #4 ThEbLuEMaGoO, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
    Most certainly did. And 4 seconds.

Mind you that this was without any physical assertion. Laying flat on my back with eyes closed.

No doubt with even a relatively raised heartbeat it would be about half that time, as my ears were ringing when I finally did breathe.

5. [quote name='"ThEbLuEMaGoO"']

Most certainly did. And 4 seconds.[/quote]

Why should I believe you

6. Don't have to man.

My life goes on either way.

7. [quote name='"ThEbLuEMaGoO"']

Don't have to man.

My life goes on either way.[/quote]

But how are you gonna prove me wrong

8. When I was scuba/free diving a ton I could go about a minute while swimming. Now I doubt I could go a minute static. My lungs are shit.

9. I'm not.

Like I said, I was at my max, my ears were ringing and my fingers were tingling.

But I did it.

10. Innocent till proven guilty.

11. like 4 seconds.. just enough to inhale weed after that i see the light

12. Youtube or stfu.

But seriously holding your breathe for a couple min is not that hard

13. Surfing helps me have a pretty good lung capacity. I can get up to around 2 minutes 20 seconds. 3 minutes though? You have to be a runner or swimmer or something. That's impressive

14. An excerpt from a post I made in a recent thread, on a similar topic....

Regular cannabis smokers, not just vapers or edible users, but smokers, tend also to have greater lung capacity and higher lung function (oxygen delivered to bloodstream per breath/volume of air inhaled), than not only tobacco smokers, but greater than 100% NON-smokers! [​IMG]
    It does so little damage, that our 'practiced breathing techniques' (ie. hits from the bong!) actually strengthen and improve our lung function over time!

One of the worlds leading experts in lung health and smoke damage, a man who USED to be one of the top anti-drug researchers, has recently had to change his mind and opinions on the hazards of cannabis use!

He helped pioneer the 'five times worse' theory (based on tar content), and he believed in it... that is, until he took the initiative to actually study those people who used cannabis, and made some starling discoveries!

Smoking pot doesn't hurt lung capacity, study shows - Vitals

Is Pot Good for Lungs? New Marijuana Study Adds to Health-Effects Debate - The Daily Beast

Marijuana Use Improves Lung Function in Study | Stuff.co.nz

Top Anti-Drug Researcher Changes His Mind, Says Legalize Marijuana | Cannabis Culture

"For 30 years, Donald Tashkin has studied the effects of marijuana on lung function. His work has been funded by the vehemently anti-marijuana National Institute on Drug Abuse, which has long sought to demonstrate that marijuana causes lung cancer. After 3 decades of anti-drug research, here's what Tashkin has to say about marijuana laws:
    "Early on, when our research appeared as if there would be a negative impact on lung health, I was opposed to legalization because I thought it would lead to increased use and that would lead to increased health effects," Tashkin says. "But at this point, I'd be in favor of legalization. I wouldn't encourage anybody to smoke any substances. But I don't think it should be stigmatized as an illegal substance. Tobacco smoking causes far more harm. And in terms of an intoxicant, alcohol causes far more harm." [McClatchy]
    We've been told a thousand times that marijuana destroys your lungs, that it's 5 times worse than cigarettes, and on and on. Yet here is Donald Tashkin, literally the top expert in the world when it comes to marijuana and lung health, telling us it's time to legalize marijuana. His views are shaped not by ideology, but rather by the 30 years he spent studying the issue. He didn't expect the science to come out in favor of marijuana, but that's what happened and he's willing to admit it.
    Here's the study that really turned things around:
    UCLA's Tashkin studied heavy marijuana smokers to determine whether the use led to increased risk of lung cancer and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD. He hypothesized that there would be a definitive link between cancer and marijuana smoking, but the results proved otherwise."What we found instead was no association and even a suggestion of some protective effect," says Tashkin, whose research was the largest case-control study ever conducted.
    Prejudice against marijuana and smoking in general runs so deep for many people that it just seems inconceivable that marijuana could actually reduce the risk of lung cancer. But that's what the data shows and it not only demolishes a major tenet of popular anti-pot propaganda, but also points towards a potentially groundbreaking opportunity to develop cancer cures through marijuana research.
    Over and over again, all the bad things we've been told about marijuana are revealed to be not only false, but often the precise opposite of the truth. So the next time someone tells you that marijuana is worse for your lungs than cigarettes, you might want to mention that the world's leading expert on that subject happens to be a supporter of legalization." \t\t

After spending decades, and millions of dollars trying to find fault with cannabis, virtually all they could conclude was that based on 'tars', cannabis 'should' be 5 times more dangerous than tobacco, due to their different tar loads.

It was the most convenient explanation they could come up with.. while neglecting to study actual cannabis smokers.

The thing is, they intentionally neglected to mention that not all tars are created equal (for instance the tar from combusted drinking-tea leaves tends to be much healthier than tobacco gram for gram, while cannabis tar is even healthier and less detrimental than tea).

And they conveniently left out the fact that cannabis tars tend not to collect and lodge in lung tissue in the same ways as those in both naturally occurring tobacco, and especially when compared to the synthetic chemicals added to common smoking tobacco.

It's why they always like to whip out those photos of tobacco-stained lungs, but very oddly, no one's managed to capture a good 'nasty' photo for cannabis smoke!

It would be a bit hard to believe, that the thought to go out and find one, never occurred to them. [​IMG]

________

Sorry for the length, hope it was an interesting read though! :wave:

15. I'm making one. Will have a video up by tomorrow.

And if it's not hard, why don't you make one too?

16. I can't personally Im not an idiot but thats a neat project dude :smoking:

17. I do not know and hope I never ever HAVE to find the fuck out the hard way lol.

18. There is a massive difference in even just standing up and holding my breath.

I'm just curious about the lung capacity of fellow marijuana smokers while completely at rest.

I am very fit and tend to run whenever I get the chance. I cover 105 acres of (currently) snow covered fields daily as my dog needs mass amounts of exercise.

Even when swimming in the summer people that don't know me get freaked out when I go under water, because I tend to stay down for a little longer than most. I also spear fish regularly in the summer.

19. I think you're lying

20. I know this guy down in Florida whos an underawater crab-fisherman and he can hold his breath for over 5 minutes. I highly doubt this guy was lying.....hes not the type. But anyway he told me the way he expanded his lungs was by going to the local HS football field and running 40 yard dashes...all while holding his breath...lmao....All the time.

He said sometimes he would pass out and wake up not knowin what happened n shit. But for the most part he could do it.