How long can plants go without light?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by sling, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Don Piano's guide for a high temp cut off brings up a question for me. You can read his guide here:

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-roo...-high-temp-cutoff-shutdown-safety-switch.html

Say I haven't taken time to make a high temp cut off, but I'm a little uneasy about leaving my grow running while I'm gone for a few days. My fans and light are on different circuits so there's a chance the fan could fail, or the circuit could trip the breaker and leave my lamp running in a cool tube with no air flow.

How long can I leave my plants in the dark without adversely affecting them beyond losing a few days of growth? Meaning, how long can I leave them without setting them back to the point that they'll die. I assume a day in the dark would not kill them but what about 48-72 hours when they're about a foot tall and in veg?

2. I had about the same thing happen to me. My box is 4' x 3 1/2' x 2' running a 400w mh. I turned off lights friday night came back sunday afternoon and turned them on. They were drooping a lot, but after a few hours of light they came right back. I watered them a decent amount before we left, prolly to much though, which might have had something to do with it. hope this helps.

3. This is a bout what I'm doing. I just replanted to 3 gal pots and 2 weeks from today I know I'm leaving Friday night and coming back Monday mid-day. I think I'll be fine turning my system off for that long, but if anyone has any other experience with this, please share it! :)