How long can a seed be kept in germination before it starts to die?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TheBishop, Mar 10, 2012.

1. PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD DIRECT EXPERIENCE FOR THEMSELVES ONLY ON THIS PLEASE SO I HAVE RELIABLE ANSWERS!!

Please read ALL the following!

and my second question;

How long can a SPROUTED seed that has been planted in the soil stay alive for in this state? (ONE THAT HAS NOT YET GROWN ITS WAY THROUGH THE SURFACE OF THE SOIL BUT HAS CRACKED AND SPROUTED DUE TO GERMINATION)

OR

WHAT IS THE LONGEST AMOUNT OF TIME TAKEN FOR A SPROUTED SEED TO BREAK THROUGH THE SURFACE OF THE SOIL??

E.G When should we declare these seeds 'dead'?

after 1 month? a few days? can they last sprouted (but not through the soils surface) like this for long periods or does it generally mean they are not going to grow?

AGAIN PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD DIRECT EXPERIENCE FOR THEMSELVES ONLY ON THIS PLEASE SO I HAVE RELIABLE ANSWERS!!

Please try to answer very cleary
    Reason I am asking is because I germinated some seeds rather early as an experiment and after the sun seemed to be much warmer (HERE IN THE UK)
    They are in my conservatory next to the window (Im aiming for 100% sunlight from seed)
    It has been basically summer sun some days but not for very long periods and other days very little direct sunlight.
    I am wondering whether this is the cause and perhaps the seeds will just suddenly sprout when enough sun arrives?
    Or are they sure to die left like this?
    Also I have 4 more I am planning to leave in germination for as long as possible for the same reason hence the first question!

Also I am not a complete beginner but in many ways I am hence no experience on this matter! And thought my question would get answered better here.

Thankyou very much for reading!

2. Don't understand why people try and germinate in the dirt where they grow. Germinate in some moist paper towels in ziplock. Keep warm and dark and 1 or 2 days they should pop.

3. omg...

you have miss read completely.. what a waste of time

the ones planted in the soil have already been germinated OBVIOUSLY in warm kitchen paper hence THE WORDS;
    'SPROUTED SEEDS PLANTED IN THE SOIL THAT HAVE NOT YET BROKEN THROUGH THE SOIL'

now please, can anyone = FULLY read. completely understand. THEN ANSWER?

PLEASE.

Thanks.

4. I put my seeds in a little bit of cotton wool then sit on my window seal, sprout within 2 days :)

5. You know, I had some thoughts to contribute, but all the yelling and instructions and insults just ain't cutting it for me.

Good luck demanding answers from people... :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  6. yeah wtf are you doing op

7. i think hes ticked because noone read his question then just said HOW they germinate their seeds.

To answer your question, you shouldent keep a seed germinated for more than a couple days. some grow faster than others but as soon as they pop they have exausted their energy supply in the seed and are looking for sunlight and nutrients, which they cannot get if they are just sprouted out in the open in a dark wet bag or under soil.

Try it out with a seed and just leave it germinated and dont plant it. It will pop and be small then like overnight it will grow like 3 inches and have shrivled yellow leaves. Thats because it made a last ditch push to find sunlight and it didnt.
    I bet you burried too deep and they died, or you didnt keep them wet enough.

8. I had some seeds that were already sprouted in dirt for about a week under my 400w MH, and they just stayed in that state.

I think the light was just too intense...when I moved them under a T8, they resumed business as usual.

9. [quote name='"TheBishop"']

omg...

you have miss read completely.. what a waste of time

the ones planted in the soil have already been germinated OBVIOUSLY in warm kitchen paper hence THE WORDS;
    'SPROUTED SEEDS PLANTED IN THE SOIL THAT HAVE NOT YET BROKEN THROUGH THE SOIL'

now please, can anyone = FULLY read. completely understand. THEN ANSWER?

PLEASE.

Thanks.[/quote]

Now your on your own dude!! Keep acting like that and NOBODY will respond to you. Maybe you just suck at growing and should give it up. Like that answer?

10. 1st, Don't be an over dramatic douche bag.
    2nd, after they've popped open and you put them in dirt I would say 5 days. If it isn't up by then, then something is happening. Like someone said it might be too deep.
    Do some research man, its a learning process. Every grow is an experiment to make the next one better. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  11. #11 Doc-J, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
    First, you should read enough to at least understand some basic terminology. A seed that has popped is considered germinated, not sprouted. Sprouted is once it comes out of the ground. A little basic reading would have told you this much, as well as probably answered your question. That being said, one to two weeks at the most is as long as it should take under proper conditions for a germed seed to sprout, most do so in the first 36 to 72 hours.

12. Two weeks then i would check on the seed

13. So simply because Ive not mentioned that I suffer Chronic eye/head/neck/shoulder complete body pain with symptoms like - CONSTANT FLASHING IN THE EYES

meaning I have little time for computers as they aggitate it HIGHLY.

Your all going to be very unhelpful ignorant people?

The person didnt even read the question nevermind understand my circumstances and hes going on with himself WITH AN ATTITUDE LIKE 'SHEEESSSSH I DONT KNOW WHY PEOPLE DONT JUST GERMINATE THERE SEEDS IN PAPER TOWELS FIRST YADAA YADDA YADDA...'

EXACTLY. WHAT. IVE. DONE..

Its like, what do you expect from a guy in complete pain mainly caused by these machines.

You call yourself good people?

The ones who looked past what could have been interpreted as 'frustration' at the most are the best of people here and actually will receive rep from me once Im feeling better!!!
    (I cant spend long on a computer)

If anyone has caused any aggitation its the people not reading the question properly and answering....

what do they expect me to say?
    ----------------------------------------
    Thank you very much :D

• Like Like x 1

14. hence why I said 'sprouted seed that has not yet broken through the soil'

my god does everyone on this site just read what they wanna here?

I AM SO VERY SORRY I AM NOT A WALKING DICTIONARY AND CANT THINK OF THE EXACT CORRECT WORDS TO DESCRIBE ALL OF THE TIME

BUT YOU ARE NO DIFFERENT

NOT TO MENTION THE PAIN I AM IN.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND AND SEE HOW I HAVE WORDED THINGS AS CLEARLY AS POSSIBLE

READ EVERY SINGLE WORD I HAVE WRITTEN - WITHOUT PREJUDICE

IF THIS IS EVEN POSSIBLE FOR MOST OF YOU.....

----------------------------------------------------------------

STILL NO ONE HAS HAD DIRECT EXPERIENCE WITH LEAVING SEEDS GERMINATING FOR SAY OVER 2 WEEKS AT LEAST????

ANY DIRECT EXPERIENCE ON GERMINATED/SPROUTED SEEDS BEING LEFT IN THE SOIL AND NOT GROWING THROUGH THE SOIL??????? WHAT IS THE LONGEST KNOWN TIME SEEDS HAVE BEEN LEFT LIKE THIS AND BEEN FINE AND LIVING IN THIS STATE????

2 CLEAR QUESTIONS I WOULD LIKE ANSWERS TO - DIRECT EXPERIENCE ONLY

GOOD EFFORTS THOUGH PEOPLE THANKYOU FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCE!!!!

15. thank you friend

you referring to the ones I left germinating or the germinated ones I have in the soil?

+ you have experience on this?

again, thankyou

PEACE

16. Hey man, calm down.

No one is going to want to help if you're shouting. I understand you're in pain and frustrated, but being polite goes a long way, especially on internet forums where people can easily write you off for being a dickhead.

17. [quote name='"TheBishop"']

thank you friend

you referring to the ones I left germinating or the germinated ones I have in the soil?

+ you have experience on this?

again, thankyou

PEACE[/quote]

yes it took me like 6 tries to get a good germination method goin. i was refering to the 1 that you said it had germinted and was placed in soil. by germinate i mean it had a tap root, correct?

18. #18 Doc-J, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
    [quote name='"TheBishop"']

hence why I said 'sprouted seed that has not yet broken through the soil'

my god does everyone on this site just read what they wanna here?

I AM SO VERY SORRY I AM NOT A WALKING DICTIONARY AND CANT THINK OF THE EXACT CORRECT WORDS TO DESCRIBE ALL OF THE TIME

BUT YOU ARE NO DIFFERENT

NOT TO MENTION THE PAIN I AM IN.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND AND SEE HOW I HAVE WORDED THINGS AS CLEARLY AS POSSIBLE

READ EVERY SINGLE WORD I HAVE WRITTEN - WITHOUT PREJUDICE

IF THIS IS EVEN POSSIBLE FOR MOST OF YOU.....

----------------------------------------------------------------

STILL NO ONE HAS HAD DIRECT EXPERIENCE WITH LEAVING SEEDS GERMINATING FOR SAY OVER 2 WEEKS AT LEAST????

ANY DIRECT EXPERIENCE ON GERMINATED/SPROUTED SEEDS BEING LEFT IN THE SOIL AND NOT GROWING THROUGH THE SOIL??????? WHAT IS THE LONGEST KNOWN TIME SEEDS HAVE BEEN LEFT LIKE THIS AND BEEN FINE AND LIVING IN THIS STATE????

2 CLEAR QUESTIONS I WOULD LIKE ANSWERS TO - DIRECT EXPERIENCE ONLY

GOOD EFFORTS THOUGH PEOPLE THANKYOU FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCE!!!![/quote]

No, 99% of my seeds pop soil in the first few days. You can claim frustration or whatever medical condition you want, you arent going to get much help coming in and being an ass. Your bitching because people misunderstood a question at no fault of their own but because you dont have the the ability to ask it properly.

If your seed has not broke soil after two weeks it is most likely dead. I wouldnt even wait past a week. As I said though, I have never had a problem getting seeds to pop.

Thank goodness for the ignore feature.

19. I have waited as long as two weeks for a germinated seed to sprout. The longest I had one take to sprout is 10 days. This one went on to resume regular growth. Generally speaking if it takes more then two weeks to break soil I would trash the seed. Remember that the seedling stage is the most vulnerable stage of growth and we want good starts to have better finishes. A seed might sprout after the two week time period but is most likely going to be a problematic plant with a small chance of being a great plant. With this being said I usually wait only seven days after planting a germinated seed.

20. just an fyi, writing in bold and caps all the time like you're an angry keyboard warrior will not make people like you very much

you should put seeds maybe about a half inch to an inch under the soil and cover lightly

if you don't see anything in 2-3 days then they are either growing the wrong way or dead