How long before I am addicted to opiates.

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by bdingalu, Sep 16, 2009.

1. You sound like a cross between an above the influence ad and my dad (nothing wrong with my dad, he's very tolerant of my lifestyle even though he doesn't approve of it, but he has some misconseptions about addiction and how it happens in some drugs, having never taking anything at all recreationally, except alcohol)

2. #22 led.zeppelin.fa, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2009
    Im sorry to hear about your friends man, and I see where you're coming from with the OP's point.

Its just always hard for me to swallow the concept because where I am, there's little to no opiate abuse.
    the only times morphine or oxy would be prescribed is in cancer patients, and there is absolutely 0 street heroin around.

I just dont have enough around for me to be able to get out of control, because its always a big deal to just have them.

i.e I see how someone in your situation could easily just pop a few pills and die not knowing what they were. where as here, such a big deal would be made, by the time they reached me I'd know exactly how many mgs each was etc.

3. Yeah, I know a lot of people who traded scripts (I know, that is realllly bad) but I didnt take a part in it. That is another way to get hooked, just jumping around to the different types of pills because they are readily available. There are a couple to get you seriously fucked up, like the opana 40 pill, it just seems like an absurd amount to me. I dont know if a lot of people even get those.

4. They banned a pill similar to opana 40s a few years ago, because drinking alcohol would cause the time release matrix to fail and release a deadly dose. (palladone)

But yeah, definitly seeing where your coming from here. Its hard to fathom spending a continous week high, I would need to save up and prepare for months to get enough to do it.

5. Jesus haha, I guess that is why I kind of see it as a bad addiction also. If you are a street addict, the addiction is expensive. Even if 6 pills are 12 dollars, they will be gone within 12 hours. In my experience anyways.

6. no one here knows your body better than you do.

7. many drugs make you feel so good that it makes it very hard to stick with responsible use

what is "responsible use"?
    its using drugs without the issue of consequences coming up
    and if consequences come about; you either stop using the drug itself, or you do something to subside the consequences(depends on what the consequence is)

if youre drug use keeps giving you bad consequences(and you realize these consequences) and you continue using w/e drug, than you are an most likely an addict

due to physical addiction of many drugs; its hard to use them responsibly; b/c physical addiction makes your brain feel as tho you "need" that drug; and makes you use it more than you originally expected to

8. Opiate use can lead to some serious problems.

Most of the damage comes street opiates AKA heroin and IV.

Sinus and nasal cavity damage, as well as torn blood vessels. Any medication and or drug is also hard on the liver.

Smoking can lead to lung damage and infections.

Most of the dangerous come from the use of needles. Improper or repeated use can lead to:

Collapsed Veins
    Infections
    STD's

Other dangers associated with cut heroin and uncut heroin.

9. Generally with opiates, three to five days of everyday use is enough to produce a physical addiction.

10. Fixed.

11. Interesting thread so far.

The OP's original question is almost unanswerable because every person is different.

When I was 16 I was prescribed hydrocodone after my wisdom teeth were removed. I didn't know what opiates were. I was taking 10mg per dose once daily.

On the third dose two days after my wisdom teeth were removed, I noticed that shortly after I took the pills I had an overall sense of well being that made anything comfortable and enjoyable. I wasn't seeking a high at that time, but I never forgot that feeling. I never will.

I went several years without seeking or thinking of opiates. A few years back I came into contact with hydrocodone again, and my use spiraled. I have since dabbled in all kinds of opiates and spend half my time withdrawing from them. I took it so much farther then I ever would have imagined.

They are incredibly hard to use recreationally in a safe manner. You work against yourself. It is hard to be the devil and the angel when there is only one of you, you know?

12. I like the way you described your memory of your first time. Again, this didn't make you addicted first time, but it was a feelin you didn't forget. Why? Why would we forget somethin that feels so good. Dam, I love the worm fuzzy feelin you first get on the peek of your dose. your mind seems to stray away.But ultimatly that feelin gets harder to find, you have to use alittle more to acheive that fuzzy feelin. And before ya know it. that good feel'in has turned on you.Some will throw their hole family along with any morals out the window. just to find a worm fuzzy feel'in. And like you, you found that from a tooth. Did you ever think back then you would want to try op's again?

13. it took me about 2 months to get real bad withdrawls, i was using between 30m-40mg, But i have now went for 2 years using almost daily to beat the sickness, I can get withdrawls after a week of contionuse use of 40-100mg oxy/percs/hydros

14. Very true. I have never experienced quite the same feeling since, which is odd considering that those first experiences were at a very low dosage when compared to what an average opiate user requires.

Thats whats crazy. My discovery of them was innocent. I didn't even know what opiates were at the time. I wasn't seeking a high, but I found one. They are used in practical medicine every day, so its no wonder more and more people across the planet are becoming opiate addicts.

No. I forgot about the experience completely. I found a bottle of hydrocodone years later in my mother-in-laws medicine cabinet. I still didn't really know much about opiates. I remembered feeling so content, so I borrowed a few. Then I came back for a few more. Before long, the bottle was gone. Thank goodness she was allergic to them and had moved them to the back and forgotten about them :rolleyes:

Sometimes I wish I could go back and take away that first experience with hydrocodone.

Once known, never forgotten.

15. i think that most things are addictive like pot is addictive in my opinion mentally because maybe a guy uses it to try to talk to a girl because he feels to shy to talk to girls and uses it so he can get loose and then well what do u know he has to do it every time he wants to talk to her it dosent give him withdrawals but he does fell that he needs he so he can get loose and get that shyness out of the way. yeah percs are addictive physically but ive been doing them for about 5 to 6 months do them like 3 times a day and like 20is to 40ish mg every single time that i do it its not alot so i dnt think im addicted and i can go days with ought taking them and i dnt feel the withdrawals but i do feel like if i want to relax or if im going to face a problem that i want to take them just to deal with the shit so i guess im mentally addicted i think that most addictions are your ming playing tricks on you but yeah there are physical addictions

16. Hear ya , like walk'in on the top of the fence. Just keep your balance