Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How long are these withdrawals going to last?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by GimpyKush, Mar 17, 2013.

1. I'm 19 years old and I've been smoking marijuana heavily for almost 2 years now. Probably haven't missed a single day without smoking in a long, long time.. I found that marijuana hasn't been anything but problem in my life and that it's not worth it to smoke any longer.. It's ruining my life. I've been clean for exactly one week today, and it has probably been the most miserable week of my life. In the beginning I never thought marijuana was addicting, and i'm sure a lot of people would like to argue with me on it being an addictive substance, but I believe that addiction to pot is VERY real. These withdrawals are horrifying, I fantasize about smoking every minute of the day, desperate to just take one last hit, but I know I can't because I have a very addictive personality. I've had panic attacks every day this week, headaches that last the entire day, full body muscle aches, nausea and vomiting, not able to eat anything whatsoever. I'm having suicidal thoughts all the time, wishing that this would all just end, though I would never take it that far.. I'm so fatigued that I just lay in my bed all day.. I have a very loving family that cares about me and are trying to help me as much as they can, but they don't know what to do. I already take several medications for anxiety and mood disorders.

So really my main question is, how long is all of this going to last? And what can I do to help cope with these withdrawals?

Thank you for your answers.

2. #2 semprfidelis, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2013
    I just went 3 months without smoking but just gave in today. I wanted to smoke so bad but I wasn't trying not to so it might be easier for you. I would think about smoking atleadt one time everyday sometimes I just sat there thinking about it for hours at night and it would kill me. Best advice is stay busy or your mind atleast. If you smoke cigs that definitely helps tho..

IT'S ALL A MIND GAME. You aren't addicted in fact your body probably will recover from all that smoking for 2 years if you think about it. You're fantasizing because you miss the feeling not because your body is demanding it.

3. Eat something. You'll notice the fatigue, nausea and muscle aches go away.

You also need to get out of bed and stop thinking about pot. It's easy when you do something.

I smoked pot for 6 years heavily and it was rather easy to get through the 4 days of withdrawal.

4. They'll last as long as your will can not break it. You're in charge of your body and mind, it sounds like you have disrespected the ganja goddess and she is punishing you greatly.

5. The urge to smoke isn't even as strong as the urge to have sex. If you can't at least refrain from smoking, then there's no hope for you.

6. its all in your head bro.

7. That last line explains alot bro get the fuck off of the meds ASAP and start smokin again.. dont let it ruin youre life its not pots fault it is youre own FAULT:cool:

8. Don't say that. You don't know his condition and he could really benefit from it.

9. OK, According to Merck Manual you should be about done! :)

"Withdrawal: Cessation after 2 to 3 wk of frequent, heavy use can cause a mild withdrawal syndrome, which typically begins about 12 h after the last use. Symptoms consist of insomnia, irritability, depression, nausea, and anorexia; symptoms peak at 2 to 3 days and last up to 7 days."

Merck Manual - Marijuana (Cannabis) (excerpt - 2008)
    Marijuana (Cannabis): Drug Use and Dependence: Merck Manual Professional

I know you do NOT feel like it, but EXERCISE! :hello: You know that "Runner's high" they talk about? It is caused by a mess of compounds that includes a good dose of anandamide, which is your body's own version of THC! Yes, your body makes a compound that works just like THC! :eek:

Exercise-induced endocannabinoid signaling is modulated by intensity. (abst – 2012)
    Exercise-induced endocannabinoid signalin... [Eur J Appl Physiol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

And are you taking your Omega 3? :confused:

How Long Before Fish Oil Works on Depression to Lift Your Mood? How Long Before Fish Oil Works on Depression to Lift Your Mood?

Deficiency of Dietary Omega-3 May Explain Depressive Behaviors (news - 2011) Deficiency of Dietary Omega-3 May Explain Depressive Behaviors. - Free Online Library

High omega-6 and low omega-3 fatty acids are associated with depressive symptoms and neuroticism. High omega-6 and low omega-3 fatty acids are a... [Psychosom Med. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Mood Disorders PsychiatryOnline | American Journal of Psychiatry | Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Mood Disorders

[FONT=&quot]O-6 to O-3 ratio[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Omega-6+to+Omega-3+Ratio+-+Discover+the+Shocking+Reality+That+Ruins...-a01073970178[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Good Oils and Fatty Substances Good Oil Information

The importance of the ratio of omega-6/omega-3 essential fatty acids. The importance of the ratio of omega-6/o... [Biomed Pharmacother. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

A lack of Omega 3 may be at the root of ALL of your problems! :eek: There is a dang good reason that the Omega oils are called ESSENTIAL fatty acids! That load of articles is only the tip of the iceberg! You absolutely, positively NEED omega 3 in your diet, and the "average American diet" has almost NONE! :(

This lack DOES affect the way your brain functions!

Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions. (abst – 2011) Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endoca... [Nat Neurosci. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

That little gem is SO important that you even get a Granny’s translation for it!

"The US diet sucks big time! We are fat, undernourished and crazy because of it. We get WAY too much Omega 6, and not enough Omega 3. Not getting enough Omega 3 can make you a bit crazy because without it, the CB1 cannabinoid receptors in your brain can be deformed or broken! Broken CB1 receptors were associated with "impaired emotional behavior". Our low Omega 3 diet is making us sick and crazy!"

Learn about nutrition, hon! Your diet may be doing you wrong! Diet affects our health FAR more than you realize! Dump the junk foods and eat natural foods (READ THE LABELS!!! Even if it is labeled "natural", it still can hide high fructose corn syrup, too much sugar or fats, and other nasties!)

So clean up your diet, get your body moving and do something to distract yourself.

Right now you are focused on your body's readjusting to "no more THC" and that makes it far worse. Read a book, do whatever hobby your have, volunteer at a food bank, visit the gym, watch a good movie, go for a jog, or grab your gal and head for the bedroom ;), but DO NOT just sit there and moan and groan! :(

And dudes, before you jump on him for having bad withdrawals, remember, he could be an under-producer of endocannabinoids like anandamide! Folks who don't make enough of this vital compound, suffer much more when they do quit! Their bodies have a tougher time readjusting! :( Most folks can reset their anandamide production in a couple of days, but under-producers take longer.

Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency (full - 2004)
    [FONT=&quot]Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency (CECD) - Russo[/FONT]

Granny :wave:
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

10. You have serious problems and they are not related to weed at all. It just so happens weed became a thing to use in your life, most people turn to food. I'm also 19 and have smoked a lot, I can take a break whenever. I know drugs effect everyone differently, but you need to get help if you're suicidal. The weed has nothing to do with that. It'll just help regulate emotions for a few hours and then back to normal.

You should still stop using, you need to focus on making sure you can maintain a healthy life without weed.

11. I think as well as some of the things that people have mentioned you need to find something to replace weed. You just took something that a large amount of your time, money and effort and completely stopped it and there is a large gap to fill. The key is to find another hobby and that can be anything. I think going to the gym would be great because it releases endorphins which makes you happy and gives you more self confidence which would help you. As well as this, if you ever find yourself thinking about weed, simply do something else. If your college study your ass off to stop thinking about weed, if you have a job start working hard as fuck for that and if you dont spend your time looking for one.

Thats just my advice anyway. Good luck!

12. I smoked everyday for 5 years and I can stop amoking easily, only problem is sleep, there arnt any real withdrawal it's in ur mind, just keep yourself occupied and just don't think about it, it's easy it's habit forming not addictive, there is a big difference

13. If you believe it's addicting, it is, and vice versa. That's the conundrum with marijuana.

14. I feel ya bro been through the same shit. I just recently smoked again after my 1 month t-break. The first couple days are the worst I didnt want to do a damn thing but sit on my ass. Then I started doing stuff like exercising and really focusing on my diet. You just need a hobby something to take up that time when you would usually be toking.

Hope this helped some bro keep your head up

15. Most of your answers were helpful, thanks.

16. Wow dude seriously keep smoking and see where your life takes you. Maybe you can help yourself but if you smoke everyday like I did I guarantee you will have problems later in life.

17. Bro, You have issues

18. Have you ever heard of a 'functioning alcoholic'? It's the same thing with marijuana, it's not for everyone. You're obviously one of those people that just can't deal.

19. Its all in your head, dont let the weed control you, if u want to quit, stop whining and be a man and quit

20. Withdrawals? What withdrawals? Get some self control ya addict