How likely is it to get mites or other pests?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Sublime, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Title. is it easy to get them? I know about the measures to prevent them but just wondering how likely of a problem it'd be

2. Best way to avoid them is to NOT bring in any outside cuts (like from friends and especially dispensaries), and if you garden outdoors at home or visit someone else's outdoor garden (cannabis or other), ALWAYS be sure to change your clothes and shower before entering your own indoor garden, if that's what you've got going on. No outdoor pets allowed in/around the grow area, either. Even petting them/letting them touch your clothing can bring mites into the garden if you don't "sterilize" yourself prior to entering your grow space.

If you have a separate area where you can keep outside cuts FAR AWAY from your main grow, you can "quarantine" and treat them until you're sure that any and all mites have been eradicated, and you still need to shower and change clothes. Usually not worth it, and best to apply regular IPM practice at least once a week just to be sure, 'cause sometimes we forget... :smoking:

Same goes for "other" pests that might be a problem in you area. Aphids and scale, for example...

• Like Like x 6
  3. Your going to get them at least once, shit just happens.

As Wak has said, IPM is a huge step towards never seeing them.

Air flow is another important thing, I've found most of my infections have started in the back corners of my tents.

If you think you have them rub your finger down the underside of the leaf. Black smudge? Mites.

Increasing IPM to every 3 days during outbreak for at least two weeks. Your trying to break their life cycle. Even if it looks clean, spray couple more times.

HtH

Ps: Once you have had them then you can bitch and moan like the rest of us anyways

Haggard

• Like Like x 4
  4. Really? That easy? Does neem meal help prevent that from happening, at least make it a little more resilient? I have 3 dogs.... I should change my clothes every time I go around my compost basically? What about when I'm first mixing it? Is it necessary then really?

5. #5 Sc00byD00bie, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    you wont find plant eating pests in a compost pile, they like to feed on live plants not decaying matter so its highly unlikely you will infect your compost pile. its the grow area you want to keep clean.

• Like Like x 3
  6. It is an inevitable eventuality when it comes to growing cannabis.
    -

• Like Like x 2
  7. This is why you get an IPM in place and be viligent. Once in place and working, just go about your buisness and monitor for problems. If they do catch a ride the landing zone is not friendly towards their survival.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I've never had mites. I heard those are in North cali. I am in southern cali and we get these big nasty green and brown worms. The worms really love the top colas of indica plants and will make a nice lilttle home in them. If they laid eggs or slimed my bud, I probably smoked it....yuk.

9. As others have mentioned, compost really isn't a problem. It's you and your dogs being around/contacting live plant material that's the issue (growing gardens, hiking in the woods, etc...).

Being that you have three dogs, utilizing a regular IPM is going to be your best bet to prevent any infestation from occurring in the first place. And if you visit any garden, I would still suggest showering and changing clothes...

An ounce of prevention... as they say...

• Like Like x 4
  10. I've had my plant growing for 5 wks, and I've used no regular IPM and certainly haven't been taking those precautionary measures. But I don't believe I have them either.

11. Good luck vato

12. Last grow I used IPM using neem sprays. Didn't see no mites. On my current grow I haven't used no IPM other than neem waterings. I didn't think I would have them. I guessed wrong. I learned my lesson.

IPM. Spray your plants.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Just curious, when you spray, do you spray every leaf of the plant, or just a general spray or three is enough?

And also, does neem carry other beneficial nutrients in spray form too?

14. The better you spray the better the chances of beating the bugs. And yes neem is beneficial to the plant.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  15. Spray every leaf, especially the under side of the leaves where pests like to hang out.

• Like Like x 2
  16. @SublimeWithBrad

Check out the thread "what's in a neem" by lumperdawgz. Lots of info there about neem.