How is my first baby lookin??

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by The Keeganator, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Its been about 2 months now i believe, and this is my plant at the current point. Im wondering how long till i can kick it to 12/12 and start flowering and the like. also, my strain is Barneys White Widow, and it has some purple stems. Is it supposed to?? or is it just some awesome:cool: freak of nature??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grown under one cfl and surrounded by maylar sheeting to get optimum light. Ive been feeding it Bio-Grow liquid fertilizer every several days. Seems to be workin!

2. Nice looking plant man....I dont really know about the 12/12 cycle but im growing three plants right now and they have purple stems too so it might be normal.

3. purple stems eh?, how much/often do you water it?

4. every two days, and every other time i water it with fertz. I usually do about a cup/cup and a half of water. They first turned purple when i used the fertz for the first time.

5. Seems like it should be bigger for 2 months old...

6. I agree. Can you get more light on it? Once you get alternating nodes, I think it's mature enough for flower.

7. It usually takes about a month for MJ to get sexually mature. Your plant looks pretty healthy but definitely very small for its age. Are you familiar with LST? I would tie that plant over and let all those lower nodes get more light.

8. Is this your first time? Your plant is very small for 2 months old? How tall is it (6-7 inches?). Are you giving it enough light? What's the air temp at the tips?

Purpling of stems are generally caused by 2/3 things:

1) It's too cold - this may also account for your growth being so poor?

2) Some varieties have slightly purple stems. But if that is the case, all stems should be purple. So, doubt this is relevant to you.

3) Phosphorous deficiency - If it's a P. deficiency, try to correct it, but don't freak out and nute the living daylights out of it, that'll cause you more problems. MJ is a very resilient plant - work out any problems slowly and over a period of days, not hours.

If the deficiency is bad enough, it will affect the leaves too, and will cause poor flowering. Your leaves seem healthy enough - but then it is stunted, so, it's kinda hard to say (a serious P deficiency on a stunted plant may not cause leaf purpling - whereas it definitely would on a plant exhibiting normal growth).

If I were you, I'd take a deep soil sample and test it using an NPK test kit. Then, concentrate on what is causing the stunted growth (air temp/lighting?). The two are probably connected and I doubt P. is solely responsible for the poor growth, although I could be wrong - all depends how bad the deficiency is.

Good luck!

9. Well, i first started it around March 1st, and i didnt have any lights so i used sunlight through the window for a while. Eventually i set up one cfl (very low wattag) to get it going. Only recently have i gotten it a better light. It hasnt been growing tall as much as wide i noticed, since i put in the maylar. The cabinet is pretty warm, so i doubt its the cold, and it is most of the stems that have the purple, not just a few. It hasnt had the best lighting setup but still seems to be growing!!

so you think a few more weeks till its ready for a little 12/12?

10. Mag def....Thats y your stems are purple. Epsom salts is the solution in most cases.

11. Dont worry about the purple stems at all, my girl had that too. It eventually left when the stem got thicker. Mines healthy and over a foot tall now so i really wouldnt worry about it.

12. Lol...it's the LEAVES that obsorb light for energy, NOT the stems...there is no need for LST at such a young age...two months though, that is a fair while. In my previous experience 2 months can grow a pretty decent heighted plant, Seems to me like you need more light. If I were you I'd buy a few more CFLs to go with the one you have now. A few bucks for the lights will pay off in the end when you have a much bigger harvest.

Yes purple stems are normal - don't listen to "dreamweave" it is NOT a mag. deficency.

What nutrients are you feeding it? you may need to up-the-dosage a bit if you're giving it under 100% strength and of course, it should be high in Nitrogen and should without doubt have other trace elements (like Calcium, Magnesium, Boron, etc)

PM me if you need more info on the future of your plant and growing it. Ive learnt alot from experience and love to share it with others. :smoke:

Ah, and about 12/12, you can start right away. But remember it totally depends on how big you want your harvest. In most cases, marijuana is sexually mature at around 1ft (or 1 month old) this varies on what light you are using and the strain.

TOP YOUR PLANT!! By the looks of things you havn't topped your plant. Definatly do this before flowering! This can majorly increase your harvest, from simply cutting away a branch! Do this as many times as you feel the need but just not all at once or you'll stress the plant and it'll slow its growing down for a few days (and possibly increase the chance of it turning hermaphodite...but i'm not sure on that one)

If you don't know what topping is, it's simply trimming your main stem, under the main head of the plant and above the first set of internodes. I'll try edit a picture so i can show you, just incase u don't know.

13. OK, since this is the only side pic you have in this thread and it doesnt show the top of your plant - picture this.....

Imagine the Green lines as the top leaves, bunched up and ready to grow upwards.

Cut at the red line, just above the internode so you're left with the small leaves at the internodes.

After a few days to a week, you'll notice the leaves above the internodes (purple) will grow out in the shape of a Y instead of the original single stem as the shape of a l so now you're elft with two main stems.

ah i have a headache from all this typing im going lol cya hope that helped if you didnt know alreadyyyy!

14. OK, since this is the only side pic you have in this thread and it doesnt show the top of your plant - picture this.....

Imagine the (Green) lines as the top leaves, bunched up and ready to grow upwards.

Cut at the (red) line, just above the internode so you're left with the small leaves at the internodes.

After a few days to a week, you'll notice the leaves above the internodes (purple) will grow out in the shape of a Y instead of the original single stem as the shape of a l so now you're elft with two main stems.

ah i have a headache from all this typing im going lol cya hope that helped if you didnt know alreadyyyy!

[​IMG]

15. :rolleyes: 2 months is not too young to LST and I never said a thing about about stems needing light. However, the shoots coming out of the lower nodes (which do include leaves) would most definitely benefit from increased light that not being covered up by the big fan leaves would allow. Even if you top/FIM then you are not getting the full benefit of LST if you are waiting until the plant is much bigger than that.

16. Thanks a lot fever!! that does help. and im setting up a new grow box (with fans and more light) this weekend. Ill be sure to get more cfl's and better fertilizer. the one i have now says 1.8-0.1-6.6, so i think i need somethin better. ill pick that up too. I did top the newest set of internodes, so we'll see how that works out!!

17. keeg what kind of light have u been using

and wat light Will u be using??

18. its a cfl and its pretty big. bought it offline.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

im going to add two more tube flouros pretty soon, just have to get them from my buddy.

19. any update???
    sorry about the subject i meant to start a thread