How is BP oil different from natural oil seepage in the ocean?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dronetek, May 18, 2010.

1. washingtonpost.com

Andy Borowitz: Goldman Sachs Reveals it Shorted Gulf of Mexico

Tourre: 'The only potential survivor' of a doomed CDO - Apr. 26, 2010

There are people in this world with such a powerful vice grip on our nutsacks that whatever they do, they will profit and we will pay.

Because of how secret BP is being about it, it's not good at all man. I think your sentence should be reworded to read:

BP claims they are working to cap the well and handle the spill, although since very little information is making it to the public and BP is being so secretive about it, we really don't know anything about it, all we can do is continue to blindly put our faith in this corporation which has, time and time again, fucked the planet and its inhabitants.

But okay, if not government interference, then who should step in and make sure BP is actually doing what they say they are doing?

2. First off, do we know why the rig exploded? It sounds like an unprecedented event which I'm naturally suspicous of (being a rabid conspiracy theorist and all ;) ).

The first article talks about BP being cost conscious in their safety mechanisms, and Halliburton and TransOcean appealing to this desire. Life is a learning process, and they are suffering because of their poor decisions.

The second two articles are disturbing, how did GoldmanSachs short the Gulf one day before the disaster?!?

"One oil rig goes down and we're going to be rolling in dough," Mr. Tourre wrote in one email. "Suck it, fishies and birdies!"

How many off shore rigs have gone down in history?

I don't have a problem with the government investigating it and ensuring clean up, I just don't think they need to pretend like they're needed to take over BP's operation. It's in BP's best interests to stop the spill and save their oil.

3. Touche, good point. :) I suspect that it will be very hard to find out, with certainty, why the rig exploded. What BP says, and what the truth is, are two entirely different things in my opinion.

Well, I linked that first article because it points out that some safety inspectors from Schlumberger left the rig 11 hours earlier without even doing the final check, which is supposedly the only one that actually counts.

I'm not 100% sure yet, but it appears as though there are several sources that point to this, here's what I searched on the goog:

don nicoloff goldman sachs oil spill - Google zoeken

goldman sachs shorts oil rig - Google Search

fabulous fab goldman sachs - Google Search

No joke: Goldman Sachs shorted Gulf of Mexico | Before It's News

Fabulous Fab Tourre: The CDO's I Create Are "Pure Intellectual Masturbation"

Goldman trader’s email slur - Times Online

I've been reading some interesting stuff on this Fabulous Fab faggot, and some of the shit he says is really quite funny. Talk about stroking your own cock:

I don't see the relevancy of this I'm afraid :confused: I don't think very many oil rigs have gone down in history .... but when one does, you can be sure that it's going to bring millions of dollars to Goldman Sachs. Apparently, it takes about $1 million dollars per day to do the type of drilling they do in the Gulf. But yeah, I'm not so sure what kind of point you're trying to make with this statement, could you elaborate?

BP will not come out losing money from this: remember, they have us by the balls, they can control oil prices so we end up paying $5.00 a gallon to cover their expenses in cleaning the spill up. To me, it doesn't seem unlikely that they're going to try to con the world into paying an arm and a leg for the clean-up of the spill, then some more to line the pockets of board members and upper-management.

4. Unfortunately in this world a company that rapes the world of its resources and produces a toxic product isn't the one that fails. Rather it prospers and becomes one of the top industries in America. Factory farming would be a good example of this, as well as the oil industry.

As long as the public can't see the harm an industry is causing directly, they will continue to be a consumer, even if it's killing them. PR and spin are a bitch:devious:

5. So are we supposed to quit using oil all together? I think the public is well aware of the harm the oil industry causes. It has nothing to do with PR and spin; it has to do with the fact that we currently need oil to function as a society. But I can't wait until we move beyond the need for mass quantities of Texas Tea.

6. They sent a test team home before completing a sonar test on the blow-out valves.... Ya sounds like a good start to a conspiracy. However remember the rig was drilling and not just producing crude, its a dangerous process with plenty of checks and regulations to ensure something like this doesn't happen. BP is known to bypass these for advancement in the industry, as well as to profits. It's not surprising to me that this happened then. I work in an industry were we bypass laws all the time. (who wants to put a harness on to climb a 8' ladder!) But we also know that some of the more risky things we do come with consequences and we decide it's better to ignore the rules to get something done better or more quickly. But we're jeopardizing our lives and not the ecosystem of the gulf coast.

Where as I would normally agree completely with you that government would fuck this beyond belief, BP is an international company and this is within US boarders (clean-up). They are having to jump through hoops that the US government could bypass. Now that opens us up to a whole new world of hurt but I think if done right this could work.

We need to hire BP's teams and give them the resources of the EPA, Ag dept, Coast guard, National Guard, etc. Essentially the government just needs to take care of supply BP with what they need but to do that in today's world we would have to assume full control.

We have gotten ourselves into a fucked up mess on so many fronts.

7. "green agendas"

i dont know why people like to segragrate

in the end the world deserves to be protected just as much as any mom, dad, cat, dog, child

people should respect eachother and thier enviroment.

of course when has the government or corperations respected anything

8. BP is undoubtedly the Goldman Sachs of oil companies. Look at their role in Iran, and involvment with the US/CIA in the 50's.

9. Yeah BP probably tried to down play what they did.

But that post was more a rip on people who are economic idiots than anything.

10. Indeed. They're one of the brilliant companies that make me proud to be British :rolleyes:

11. what song is your sig from?

I've never heard that one. IT is the shit.

12. Leaving the Past off of Revolutionary Volume 2. Awesome track, awesome album.

13. Hey, looks like I was right about this from the start. I hate to say "I told you so", but.....

14. LOL

What exactly where u right about?

15. VS

With 75% of the oil already gone, I think you owe him an apology. :D

16. I owe him an apology?!?!?!

This is why I dont come to the politics forum on this site anymore. U people are delusional.

75 % of the oil is gone eh?

Coming from u that really makes me laugh. U dont believe ANYTHING our gov. tells us, but u will believe that statistic???

If all the oil is just disappearing why dont all the cleanup crews pack up and go home??

There is TONS of fucking oil still washing up, and it will impact the gulf for years to come.

Do u guys remember the exxon valdez spill?? They are still seeing an impact from that in AK.

This oil spill is way the fuck bigger. And u are sayign its just "natural" ???

And I am supposed to apologize for disagreeing?~!?!?!

LOL

Go back to jerking off to the drudge report...

17. No, there isn't.

A completely different kind of oil.

Yes, apparently this oil was the same thing that naturally flows up from cracks in the earth every single day.

No, your hysterical insults.

18. Drone: If u think this spill is even close to what would naturally seep into the ocean u are completely wrong.

If u listen to all the reports they say this oil will impact the gulf for decades to come. Just because they cant "find" the oil doesnt mean all is well and we forget it happened.

U are acting like this is no big deal, it happens naturally, its not gonna effect anything...

U are WRONG. IT IS and WILL effect that eco system for a VERY long time.

And I will admit. I am no expert on oil, and how it effects the eco system. BUT I do work with fish and wildlife on a daily basis (IN LA) and they have told me how bad it is. This is not just gonna disappear magically and not cause issues. It is a disasteter that will be felt for a long time.

And why are u all the sudden believe government statistics? It sounds to me like they just cant find this shit, and they cant explain it, so they made up some bullshit stat.

But once again, I am no expert... :D