How is BP oil different from natural oil seepage in the ocean?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dronetek, May 18, 2010.

1. Wow I'm I hard headed ideologue? That is kinda funny since I try very hard to be open minded and try to look at policies that make sense instead of just picking a side and fighting for it tooth and nail.

But yes, you sir have pissed me off. Yesterday you compared me to Hitler, today you call me an ideologue. Who's throwing insults? You are.

2. Being open minded is fine, but no so open your brains fall out.

I asked a simple question that has you backing in to your idealogical corner. I'm not surprised at all that you think YOUR position is the open minded, rational one. If you don't like tough questions, than find a thread where you can circle jerk with like minded people. Nobody forces you to post here.

Whats good for the goose.....

3. How is BP oil different from natural oil seepage in the ocean?

The BP oil spill is different from natural oil seepage in the ocean because the media is making a bigger deal out of the BP spill than they should while trying to place blame on capitalism and forward their communist, green agendas.

4. That's right, it's the world against Dronetek (even when people that normally agree with you are of the same opinion). We're all just evil libs, and the fact that you're the only person that took your specific stance holds absolutely no weight.

5. The original question is flawed.

If the whole ocean can deal with 5,000 barrels/day, why can't one tiny piece of water NEAR THE COAST deal with 5,000 barrels/day?

lol.

Kind of like saying "Tennesee gets XX feet of rain every year, why would XX feet in a week cause so many flooding problems..."

6. #46 Dronetek, May 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2010

You're clearly being factitious here, but part of that isn't far off from the truth:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baU3LZ_qH88]YouTube - MSNBC: Matthews takes aim at capitalism[/ame]

Chris Matthews:

-Blames capitalism
    -Supports China's policies
    -Supports nationalization of oil companies

You guys still don't understand that I'm not advocating leaving the oil uncleaned. Its obviously has to be cleaned. I'm just talking about how the even is being used to further agendas. Its not like its a big secret that these guys like to take advantage of crisis.

Thats nice, but I never asked that question. Once again, you guys are debating against arguments that you make up all on your own.

7. Agreed. Drone if you're so adamant about defending your first statement, then maybe it's time to realize that you're statement has many more things related to it than you're apparently willing to 'defend.'

You asked how it is different; we explained it is different because it's concentrated, causing immediate problems, and is soon to effect the economy.

These were all thorough explanations of why it is different. Not sure what you are still confused about?

8. There was a hint a facetiousness, but I was merely trying to get to the heart of the thread, which I agree with considering I abhor 99% of the media as well.

9. So was your question how is the oil itself different? Like does it have different properties from the natural seepage? That is the only other possibility I can see from the title of your thread.

Seems like if everyone is reading your questions wrong, maybe you should explain it a little better.

10. Right and I responded with a NOAA report stating that all these things happen after natural oil slicks. It just doesn't get reported, so you don't know about it. I'm not saying this oil spill is nothing and should be left to fester. I'm just saying this is being used to push the agenda of this president and political party in charge.

You're the one who is confused.

Its been explained dozens of times in this thread. Certain people continue to act like the MSM and just make shit up.

11. So is your point just related to what you see as a disproportionate media response to this issue?

I am sure that I hate the MSM at least as much as you do, but of course this is much more newsworthy than 5,000 barrels/day naturally in the entire ocean. This is a man-made disaster doing in one little spot in a day what the WHOLE OCEAN does naturally AND it has immediate economic and environmental implications for every american.

Yes, politicians will take advantage to push their own agendas, that is what politicians do, but this is certainly newsworthy.

12. Seriously? Now my brains are falling out? You're telling me i'm stupid? Dude you need to check yourself. It is possible to have a conversation without making everyone else the enemy and insulting everyone. I don't know what you think you asked me that I haven't answered, but the second you compared me to Hitler I took issue with it. That is about the most vile insult that someone could toss my way because what the man did makes me sick to my stomach. So I'm supposed to just brush it off because on the internet rudeness is the rule?

13. #53 mwasa254, May 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2010
    From your original link:
    Natural seepage is 46% of the total load in the oceans. Humans more than double the natural output.

Again, this is definitely newsorthy.

I am sure we agree that national policy should not change based on the crisis at hand (because there will ALWAYS be a crisis at hand), but should change based on science and reason. (that is what has you upset, right? not that they are reporting on the disaster, but the things they are saying MUST happen in response?)

14. Natural seepage is 46%, while oil spills represent around 5%. The majority comes from run-off and recreational/industrial boating.

15. Thanks for the clarification, didn't read closely enough!

16. Not sure if it was in the article, that was just off the top of my head info. I didn't want you thinking that the other 54% was from oil spills. :smoking:

17. I find the content of this article disturbing... There is a video at the link but the text sums it up.

BP, Coast Guard Officers Block Journalists From Filming Oil-Covered Beach (VIDEO)

18. I'm bored so I ran some math.

If I'm wrong please correct me.

The earth's oceans contain approximately 342,543,511 cubic miles of water or 376,796,762,100,000,000,000 gallons. A Barrel of Oil contains 42 gallons of oil
    so 5,000 barrels a day is 210,000 gallons leaking naturally everyday spread across the worlds oceans.
    210,000 / 376,796,762,100,000,000,000 = .00000000000000557% a day - yes this will change daily as more leaks but it's damn small.

The Gulf of Mexico contains approximately 660,000,000,000,000,000 gallons of water or .18% of the ocean's water. The gulf leak brings
    210,000 / 660,000,000,000,000,000 = .00000000000318% a day - also increases daily as more leaks, but at a much higher rate since we're dealing with a smaller area.

Just the difference between the concentrations is impressive. The Gulf leak is 570 times larger than it would normally receive - and that would be if it was spread equally across the entire gulf which it isn't.

So let's compare it to human beings. A 165 lb human being has approximately 10 Table Spoons of Salt inside of them. Pick any spot on your body and increase that salt saturation by 570 times. 5,700 TS =) Lots of salt. Definitely not natural or sustainable in anyway.

If someone else is at work and bored like me I'd love for someone to check my math.

19. Who said the sky was falling?

People are upset that BP fucked up BIG TIME, and now they are lying and trying to down size it.

Talk to some people that work for the fish and wild life or DNR in the south. They KNOW its a catastrophe. How can u sit there and defend a oil company with such bullshit?

When u hear the people from the oil co. saying shit like "the cap we tried to put on the oil spill didnt fail. It just didnt work the way we wanted it to". U know they are simply lying in our faces.