How is BP oil different from natural oil seepage in the ocean?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dronetek, May 18, 2010.

1. I'm pretty sure there is simply a lot more oil coming from BP's leak than there ever was coming up naturally.

2. 5,000 barrels a day spew from the ocean floor. It contributes to a large portion of oil in the ocean and creates all the symptoms that a man made oil spill does. That includes tar balls on beaches, oil covered animals and rainbow colored water.

Global Marine Oil Pollution Information Gateway • Facts • Natural oil seeps
    So, I'm not sure it is more oil. Is it possible that this is being blow out of proportion in order to advance "green" agendas?

3. I'm not going to pretend to have read your links, but according to you 5,000 barrels of oil naturally seep into the ocean a day.

Louisiana Oil Spill 2010 PHOTOS: Gulf Of Mexico Leak Reaches Land

according to that news site, which I just found on Google I don't know if its accurate, the BP oil spill is also releasing 5,000 barrels of oil a day.

So the BP oil spill is doubling the natural rate of oil leakage. That is a huge abrupt change in a natural process. Huge abrupt changes cause problems in the enviroment.

Moreover, ocean does not equal one spot in the gulf of Mexico. While 5,000 barrels of oil may seep into the ocean, they don't all come from one spot. So the local environment in the gulf of Mexico is receiving a whole ocean's worth of oil per day.

So as I said before, I'm pretty sure its a problem because there is simply a lot more oil than normal.

4. Yes, but thats just makes the oil more widespread and it does in fact cause all the problems we've come to know of man made spills. That includes oil covered animals, tar balls on beaches and rainbow colored water.

Natural oil slick:
    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/es/department/news/images/2008/dec_brand.jpg

Natural oil slicks in the gulf:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_tm33tTS2iZc/SYizh545AlI/AAAAAAAABnU/AWfCo9kFC_A/s400/oil+leaksGMex2.jpg

More natural:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3264/2421684447_6f138542cf_b.jpg

http://oils.gpa.unep.org/facts/natural-sources.htm#NOAA
    I guess my point is that its not the disaster some are making it out to be. I think hysteria is want the government wants, so it can pass through agendas it wouldn't normally be able to.

5. interesting

6. I have two things:
    1.) I still push the idea that the local environment in the gulf of Mexico cannot handle the amount of oil being dumped into it. While the environment might be able to handle 5,000 barrels a day spread over the whole ocean (that means the environment takes the damage caused without any serious side affects. Also if its spread over the whole ocean that means it is much less concentrated and much less of a problem), that much oil in one place is causing too much damage.

In other words I think it is a disaster as the news is describing

2.) What agenda is the government currently pushing during this hysteria? I mean agendas aren't always bad, and what sort of agenda would be pushed during a oil spill crisis? The only thing that comes to mind would be a pro-alternative energy agenda, which would be a good thing...

7. #8 CREAM, May 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2010
    I've maintained that this has been a sad time for oil. :D

I'm of the opinion that by and large 'the media' has been underreporting and going by BP's word on this story. Thus estimates are lowballed big time.

You are of the opinion that 'the media' is over reporting and making a bigger story out of this to drive their environmental domination plan down america's throat (people tryin' to ruin this nation!)

I'll exit now to allow you the winners podium, before this becomes a mudsling fest of yelling, changed subjects, examples of 'revenge being ok,' etc.

8. #9 pineapple skunk, May 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2010
    you never disappoint, drone

9. Dronetek u are fucking NUTS. Seriously. Please dont EVER leave your compound. :D

10. Is it possible that u are really that ignorant?

U can read and type, but u have NO common sense. How is that even possible?

I think its possible cause u are just making these threads to fuck with people. EVERY thread u make is just absolute garbage man. I am not trying to be a dick to u either. Its just obvious that u are trying to make threads to get people wound up.

To actually think that this oil spill is anythign close to "natural" oil leaking inrto the ocean is border-line retarded.

11. The difference is one of concentration, making it more difficult for the oil to disperse in the water, as opposed to more natural leaks, which release a drop here and there that adds up over a large area.

12. You're the one talking out of his ass. I provided evidence from real researches to back up my argument, what do you have? Both create oil slicks in the water, both create tar balls, both coat animals in oil.

13. Hahahaha ok, well at least u answered one question for me.

U ARE serious. LOL

I am talking out of my ass?

Talk to some fishermen down in FL and TX right now.

Go look at the fucking beaches man. Go look at the fucking wildlife!!!

This is NOT fucking natural, and NATURAL leaks are just that, NATURAL. NOT man made!!

Go look at the impact this spill is having on the eco system down south. Then look at how much LONGER that impact will be felt. Then tell me this is "natural"

U sir, are NUTS. Certifiably fucking NUTS.

14. With your logic dronetek, we should just clear cut the entire rain forest.

I mean, SOME trees fall down due to nature anyways. Why not just knock em all down?

15. 5,000 barrels spilling in one spot is alot different than 5,000 barrels being spread out all over the world. How can you not see a difference?

The government probably will try to use the BP oil spill to pass legislation though. The legislation will probably end up raising costs of oil production and thus raise the finla price of oil, then thats just another excuse for them to nationalize oil, the prices are too high!

16. Yeah whoever said the difference is in concentration i would have to agree with. This might not be more oil than usually is leaking into the ocean but i bet its the largest amount leaking from one spot.

17. Drone, just open up your eyes and think for a second.

While there is oil that is naturally released into our water (which has the same exact effects on the environment as oil that is drilled, because it is the same exact thing), you will never see an oil spill of this scale due to naturally occurring processes. It just doesn't happen. Especially not in the concentration that is currently being released...

Oil spills like this don't just naturally happen, and they certainly aren't good for the environment. Do you think we should just sit back and let nature ride it out?

:confused_2:

18. The government should put up some regulation to ensure offshore oil drilling is done as safe as possible, with as little (potential and actual) risk to the environment as possible. And it do not require much in the form of investment, and won't affect oil-prices anywhere near what the cleanup from any major spill do.

An accident like this would not be possible here in Norway, who do have plenty of offshore oil-rigs. Because of government regulation. All oil-rigs, floating as fixed, are required to have a security valve where the pipe meet the sea-bed. This valve must be able to close by a remote (acoustic) trigger, even if the rig is lost due to whatever reason. Such a valve cost approx. 0.5 million USD per well-pipe. Or in comparison with the day to day cost of operations of an offshore oilrig; peanuts.

Such regulation was proposed in the US some years back, but the oil-companies argued that it was too expensive, and not necessary...

Now we know that it is very necessary, and as for expensive, well, cleaning up this mess will cost much more than the installation of such valves on all the offshore-rigs in the entire world. Several times over.

19. Watch out Zylark, yer soundin' like a damned lib!