How Important Is Money To You In Life?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by 2313, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Read the title and answer and you could be entered to win a 5,000$ Visa Gift Card. The previous statement is false I'm just high as fuck haha

2. How is important money to me?

Let's see money is a component required to survive in this capitalist economy in America. Yes food, water and shelter is the three essentials but how you're going to buy these products? Unless you have a farm, a wide-load plantation and seeds, you'll have to buy food to keep your body from starvation. Water? You can get free water from a sink but that's tap? If a person is worried about tap, then they'll have to invest in a filter. As for shelter, you could also live off-land like in a forest-wood-like territory surrounded by trees but then you'll have to worry about not catching viruses/illnesses, itchy trees and foremost--getting yourself secure from fleshing eat mammals. 

Depending on the outcome of the situation and the person's socio-economic class, Money could be used as an advantage to help cope with the person's struggles. 

3. Is money important? Extremely.

Is it valuable? Not to me.

4. It's pretty important. Can't do much without it.

5. This is me when I do get money

[​IMG]

6. Except I do the opposite when I'm in the club. 

7. I am an American. Money is my master. I am it's slave. Period.

It tells me when to wake up
    It tells me when to go to sleep
    It tells me when to eat, what to eat and how much to eat.
    It has a long list of instructuions on how to spend it.
    And almost 10% of whatever i get goes to the US government. And they spend it however the fuck they want.

8. #10 Luc1fER, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2013
    The Love of Money is the root of all Evil.

9. of incredibly little importance.

10. of relative importance because it sustains my basic comfortable lifestyle that allows me to do things that make money irrelevant to my well-being 

11. What a silly question.

That's like asking how important food and water are.

Money represents your expendable resources.

Your expendable resources are your life blood

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. More than I'd like to admit. I don't particularly like it.

13. #15 Lay Low, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
    This. The question doesn't really mean anything. As yuri said money isn't really anything, it's just a representation of things, i.e., goods and services.

So the question becomes, how important are goods and services to you? The question loses much meaning when money is understood. I will say that money is crucial to organized modern society as a whole. A common medium of exchange is vastly superior to barter in that it solves the barter problem of having a coincidence of wants, enables the division of labor and the calculation of profits and losses, gives us the ability to compare value across all goods and services, etc. Society as we know it today couldn't function at all without money.

I think that the fact that "society as we know it today couldn't function at all without money" implies that money does mean something. I understand what you mean when you say it doesn't though. Money means that we have a society that functions the way it does.

When saying that it is vastly superior than the bartering system implies that the way our society does things with money in the picture is superior to a society subject to natural constraints under a barter type system. While I see why it would be considered superior, I think that is more just an opinion.

15. I didn't say money doesn't mean anything. I said the OP's question doesn't really have much meaning.

Yes it's an opinion, but very few would disagree. Going back to barter would very quickly kill a huge amount of humanity. The current human population can't be sustained by a barter economy. Buildings would crumble, people would starve, society as a whole would regress drastically in standards of living. It's my opinion that maintaining technology and not killing off vast amounts of people is superior to the alternative, a much reduced population and very low standards of living for all.

16. I think that the fact that "society as we know it today couldn't function at all without money" implies that money does mean something. I understand what you mean when you say it doesn't though. Money means that we have a society that functions the way it does.

When saying that it is vastly superior than the bartering system implies that the way our society does things with money in the picture is superior to a society subject to natural constraints under a barter type system. While I see why it would be considered superior, I think that is more just an opinion.
    </blockquote>
    Lets not start the semantics debate again

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Money, so they say, is the root of all evil today. But if you ask for a ride it's no surprise that they're giving none away.

18. Honestly it's not that important. Then again I'm still living at home so I don't really have too many expenses, but even if I did I still wouldn't consider it important. Fuck money. I'm ready for bartering to come back. Who needs bullshit pieces of paper when we can trade something to somebody and both parties get something they want?