How I met my neighbors who I thought were woman beaters

Discussion in 'General' started by HorsesInTheSky, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Fast forward to when I was a eighteen and moved to a small suburb about twenty minutes outside of Hollywood California. I moved away from San Diego when I was a young teenager so had been established in a new city for a while now. Living in a small city, everyone understands there is never anything to do besides party or in my case, skate and party. I first smoked and drank when I was eighteen. I never had any reason to do either one because I simply didn't see the point in it when I was younger. For me, I wanted to try it and because all my friends already did most of those things, they happily wanted to be there for my first time. Everyone of my city friends always thought I was a stoner because of my outlook on life so it was funny to see how excited my friends were to smoke and drink with me. So I smoked weed and drank, liked it, and started partying every now and then. Closing in on my nineteenth birthday I moved out of my house and moved a couple cities away to the valley with a good friend of mine.

My friend and I moved into our apartment and as soon as we settled in, we sat down and smoked. I was excited to be living with a good friend at such a young age, the world was there for our taking. During this time, I was already an established smoker with months under my belt. To be fair, I was still a rookie, but no rookie admits they are ever actually rooks. It is the only way we grow as humans, all great jedi knights understand this. My friend and I smoked all day everyday, it was the greatest thing ever. School didn't start for a while so all we ever did was smoke and adventure, smoke and, adventure some more. Our first couple days at the apartment were really mellow. We seriously thought, we got stuck in the wrong apartment complex because we never heard parties going on. We started meeting people that lived in the surrounding apartment buildings and started partying with them. Typical college student life, everything outlandish and accumulating stories for days. We eventually met this kid Nolan who was hilarious. Not the hilarious where he knows he was hilarious, but the hilarious where he was hilarious accidentally in his attempts to say serious things.
    Nolan had lived in a bubble his entire life and grew up on a farm somewhere in the middle of I forget and it doesn't really matter. Nolan had a very specific outlook on life and always asked serious questions that came out sounding hilarious. Mostly, because he was mildly racist and didn't know any better. Don't worry, he turned that around very quickly. He had a curiosity about the world around him that was so funny to my friend and I because he came off as a newborn being introduced to the world for the first time. Nolan, quickly became our first real friend that came around everyday.

A couple weeks into the apartment we started hearing people yelling a couple doors down from us. It was ALL the time. Our windows were always open because it was still fairly hot outside and our air conditioner met the standards of a low performing fan with incredibly loud mechanisms that was more disturbing then anything so we never turned it on. We thought about having the manager fix it at one point, but my friend came home one night shortly after that thought and in a drunken stupor, thought it would be accommodating as a chair and ripped it out of the wall so that idea would forever burn in the depths of hell. Back to our noisy neighbors. They yelled all the time back and forth to each other and it was one of those things we had to explain to people we had over that we lived next to angry people that yelled angry things at each other all the time. People felt bad for us, but soon dismissed that feeling once they were blitzed out of their minds and discovered the magic that music has in covering up any unwanted noise At the right volume, you can cover up anything. Angry people were about an eleven on an iPod dock, in case any of you ever find yourselves in this inconvenient situation.

My friend and I lived with this idea of our neighbors for about eight months. We sort of just accepted it and was an ongoing joke we had. On a night much like every other night, but nothing like any of our previous nights, Nolan and a couple other friends came over. We all smoked weed and for some reason, I had an idea that was about to change our lives from that point on. I told everyone that we should smoke another blunt and walk over there and hang out with the woman beaters. My roommate laughed his ass off and Nolan looked legitimately frightened. The thing that made the situation even funnier is I wouldn't doubt that Nolan was actually scared. Everyone else seemed up for it, so we smoked the blunt and trekked into the land of the unknown. Mordor, as we quite often referred to it as.
    As soon as we walk out and down the hall, we hear the yells get progressively louder....this was it. I'm walking in front, never fearful, always adventurous. My roommate is closely behind me and the rest of our friends were trailing behind not sure what to expect....Nolan was about three steps behind them. I wait for everyone to pile up close, I look back at everyone, take a deep breathe, and knock on the door. The yelling instantly stops, goes silent for a couple seconds and Nolan quickly says, " Well, looks like no one's home, let go back now guys." A couple more seconds go by and then they sternly yell toward the door, "WHO IS IT?!" I reply with, "Your neighbors." They answer the door and we're astonished to find out that it is three African American chicks. They happily greet us and invite us in. We start having a conversation about each other and where we live and so forth. I, still astonished during this entire conversation that there were actually never any men yelling out of this apartment. We let them know about what we thought was living in this apartment all those months and they crack up and found it funny. They explained to me in depth about how when black people get excited "all hell breaks loose." We found what they had to say funny and they asked us if we smoked da ganja greens. "Fuck yeah!" Nolan says energetically. Ohhh Nolan.

Now, after this night, our new apartment friends could have become just some apartment friends we say hi to every once in a while and smoke with OR! This night would become memorable enough that they would want to actually hang out outside of the apartment and introduce us into their group of friends. In total, there are eight people smoking 2 blunts and a bong going around. The apartment was already filled with smoke. My Scruff McGruff skills led me to believe that they were smoking before we came, but I could be wrong. We were listening to something I can't remember, but it was incredible. Out of nowhere, I begin what would then become the reason we solidified our friendship with our new friends.....I start rapping. I secretly have freestyle rap skills unconventional to that of what an indie kid such as myself would appear to have.
    I'm not sure what came over me to ever do it in the first place, but I was feeling it like no other and got up, people on couch as my crowd and spit some serious fire that I wish I could remember. It was a complete out of body experience. I remember incorporating items they had in their house and tied their names into my rap. That was the intro. Then, my friend started beatboxing and I got seriously into it, I guess I was good because our neighbors were chanting, "Go! (my name)!" As soon as I was done I sat back down like nothing happened and we smoked some more. Our new friends kept complimenting me and gave me greens on everything we smoked that night. They cooked for all of us and we ended up watching some Katt Williams DVD they had that was awesome, so awesome. Before we left they told us to come back anytime and deemed my nickname to be "Fresh" from that point forward. Once my friends and I were back in my apartment they just replied to me that, that was ridiculous.

After that night, our neighbors invited us to everything....everything. I could write a novel on stories that only contain nights out with them, my roommate, and myself. Hell, I could write a saga on the adventures my roommate and I went on. It has been years and since then, Everyone has graduated. Mordor neighbors no longer live in California, my room mate moved back up North, and Nolan actually ended up getting a panic attack a couple months after this, packed up all his things, and moved back home. Aside from a handful of conversations we had with him on the phone, that was the last time we ever heard of him. I still keep in contact with everyone else though.

End.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Woah bro can I have the short version?

3. Man I wish I had cool neighbors.

Also I'm starting to think everyone on GC has short attention spans since you guys refuse to read anything longer than a paragraph.

4. Damn good story hahahahahaha, Love the part where you start rapping lol. +Rep for captivation

5. Tldr

Open hears screaming. Finds out its 3 black women. He is invinted inside to smoke. Op starts rapping. Black people are amazed. Op gains some best friends

6. Good read...funny too.

7. Sounds pretty awesome, man

And it might be long but it was written very well

8. Awesome story OP, the people who refuse to read are missing out.

9. haa thats an awesome story bro. i bet a normal person woulda just ignored their neighbors all that time and never discover a whole new chapter to their book of life!

10. You actually may have cool neighbors. You may never know if you don't go introduce yourself. Whether they turn out to be cool or not, at least its a story

I'm glad you enjoyed reading it man. I'll be posting more of these kinds of stories in the future.

Heyy cliff notes to further promote laziness, right on!

Thanks for reading. I'll be posting more of these kinds of stories in the near future

Thank you for appreciating my style of writing

I'd like to believe so as well Providence. Thanks for also reading and enjoying. I'll be posting more of these kinds of stories in the near future.

Right on man, glad you enjoyed reading my story. I'm just as normal as everyone else. Just a man seeking the thrill of an Indiana Jones type of adventure.

I also couldn't agree more with what you have to say about discovering a new chapter in the book of life. You get what you give in this world. If you seek adventure, adventure you shall receive. Now whether or not the outcome falls into a positive or negative experience is entirely how you look at it at the end. With negative, you can always view it as a learning experience.

11. WILL SOMEONE PLEASE
    TEAR. DOWN. THAT. WALL.
    thx

12. ^ this dude is on another planet tonight. Haha Lucy...

13. At first I was like... Damn no way I'm reading all that.. Then I saw some of the responses and now I'm like Damn no way I'm reading all that.

14. [quote name='"Rebel Eye"']At first I was like... Damn no way I'm reading all that.. Then I saw some of the responses and now I'm like Damn no way I'm reading all that.[/quote]

I lol'd.

I'm going to pack the bong and read it though. I'll cliffnote it.

15. Alright I got about 3/4 of the ways through. That is a pretty cool story OP, I wish I had cool neighbours.

16. Hahahaha I did not see that rapping coming. Awesome story man. Well written.

17. Good story.

Very well written.

A+

More please.

18. I skimmed through it and the word chicks popped out to me. I read the sentence and found OP was a girl. I didn't read it because like everything else women say, it was long and pointless

19. ^ OP is a girl?

No way! I thought OP was a dude?