How I got a member of an anti-drug campaign to quit...

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Neoarcadian, Jan 11, 2007.

1. So I'm new here and I thought I'd share one of my greatest moments.

I play World of Warcraft on a regular basis. If anybody here knows how it works there are dungeons that are called instances and to enter them you go through a little portal and it creates a replica of that dungeon specifically for you and your group that nobody outside of your group can enter...just some background info.

So I'm at the level cap of 60 and was helping some lower level characters through a low level instance one day when the subject of marijuana came up. After a bit of discussion we found out that everybody in the group was a stoner except for one person. That person just so happened to be a member of an anti-drug campaign and a drug councillor for over 20 years.

So I ran them through the instance and everybody left the group, it was a group of 5 including me, except for some 17 year old stoner and this anti-drug lady.

I decided to push the subject.

I asked her why she thought cannabis was so bad, why she thought it should remain illegal, yatta yatta yatta.

After a good 4 hours discussion and 2 more run throughs through the same instance I had her cornered. She kept on using excuses like, "But the risk of possessing it and getting caught," and, "It funds gangs," and, "If it were legal it'd be easier for kids to get."

So after a while of explaining exactly why all of these statements weren't only false, and citing sources as well, but also explaining ALL of the benefits of legalizing it she simply didn't have anything left. There was no logical reason she could think of for it to remain illegal anymore. I had exhausted every bit of "knowledge" she had ever learnt about it. She finally broke down and apparently, from what I heard from her husband that happens to be in the same in-game guild as me, she couldn't stop crying and had to quit playing for the night...and I didn't see her online until a month later...haven't talked to her since.

You may think, "Why did she take it quite that hard?" Well...she was a drug councillor for over 20 years and had committed her life to keeping drugs illegal and in the course of a fraction of a day I made her entire life's work not only meaningless but counter-productive to the good of humanity.

I took a 57 year old woman's views about the world and totally obliterated them in the course of a few hours. That's not an easy feat my friends.

Either way though, I wish I would have taken some screen shots of the conversation because it made me laugh a lot. She kept on using the same excuses over and over again because she didn't have anything left to fight it with and was thus grasping at straws like a delirious person.

Here's hoping I can be as successful in persuading everybody else...I just need 4 hours alone with every anti-cannabis person on the planet. I may be a dreamer on that aspect but oh well...One person aware of the truth is better than nobody.

Later all...:cool:

2. pretty cool man! Must feel great,

as someone who used to play on-line games though , i can say People constantly fuck around. I never acted how i did in real life, or told anyone anything i actually did - i'd do the opposite in fact. And argue with people for the hell of it about things..

But sounds like you did a good job! And a good deed for smokers

3. I've been raging people in online games for years. It just puts a smile on my face to picture someone unleashing a string of curses over something I did in a video game. Don't get mad when I mess with you, that just eggs me on. I'm the person that kills you when you have 5hp after a duel, offers to run noobs through instances, and then hearth out letting them die. If I can use an exploit to piss you off, even better. I remember when there was a macro that let you fly, boy was that fun. Flying across WSG with the flag 200 feet above every one. Taste it noobs. :D

4. long live myg0t!

5. uber L337

6. I dont think thats TOO cool, man

If you have the right to believe something is right, Someone else has the equal right to believe it is not. Let people figure it out for themselves.

but kinda cool anyways lol

7. Opivy myg0t is the dumbest thing ever. If your bored with a game just buy a new one dont cheat like a bitch.

But thats awesome Neoacradin!! She must have felt as worthless as her career.

8. i usually agree with letting ppl have their opinion, but this lady is directly affecting my ability to do something i love - an actual part of the anti-drug establishment rather than just a person who disagrees. her opinion makes a difference, therefore - changing her opinion is important - good job!

and - ur not a dreamer - the world changes one person at a time. maybe she told somebody else. maybe they told somebody else. if everybody on this site changed one persons opinion everyday - and they changed one persons opinion themselves - it'd be like a week before the whole world was packing a bong!!

9. Haha, I've been playin CS since before Steam. Cheating and legit, Used to customize my hacks and what not. That was fun, raging people and what not.... Ahh fond memories. Haha

JAPS Clan was my personal favorite of the cheating clans.

10. Yeah, but there's a difference between having the right info on the subject and having false info on the subject.

I did nothing more than tell her the truth. The truth ripped her ideas apart and shattered her world view...I simply delivered it.

Belief is only based on things of which you have no proof. Once you know something is true you can't believe in it because you know about it. She thought she knew the truth and thus had her entire life planned out around it. She found the actual truth out and then everything came crashing down around her.

The funniest part of the entire thing, to me anyways, was her calling me a dumb kid for using cannabis at all, me being 18 and all, and then by the end she had a breakdown over all of the information I had given her. Can't be too dumb if I can make you breakdown with information alone now can I?

Either way though...belief has nothing to do with it. When it comes to pot you're either right or wrong on certain levels. If you think you don't like it or even that other people shouldn't use it that's up to you but the hardcore facts and data are there and there's nothing to believe. When it comes to those facts you're either right or wrong.

Thus I didn't change her beliefs, I simply gave her the truth so that she could re-evaluate her own beliefs. Since her beliefs had all been based on lies she took it rather hard when faced with the truth and thus had to change her own beliefs to not want to kill herself over the immense harm she had done to society by doing her job.

Oh well...another anti-cannabis person bites the dust...and rises up to take after the winning team. I finally talked to her last night and she said that instead of simply quitting her job and her position in working for the anti-drug campaign, which she concidered doing first, she is still working for both BUT...instead of going along with them she's working from the inside of things trying to spread the truth to others on the inside and hopefully turn them around on the subject too!

She's still a drug councillor but she's specifically only taking on people that are not using cannabis because she still believes the other and harder drugs are bad. Frankly she's quite right on that front. Doesn't mean people shouldn't be allowed to use them but that's her choice on what to want and to believe. I'm just glad I could show her the light on the subject of cannabis.

Just a few more billion people to go!:cool:

11. thats funny. your lifes work has been counter productive on the good of humanity and heres why :laughing:

12. myg0t pwns. I'm iwuzherematty on their forums. By the by check out some of my rages:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1JHmYIk9JE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgdK0ChERE8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvFwBrfD31o

13. ^ that's mad funny hahah

wait, a 57 year old women was playing WoW? hahaha

edit: the funniest one is the first one, when that one guy sais something in arab after the redneck is like STFU and in the background another person yells in arab hahaha i was buggin

14. on fucking WoW no less. Seriously.. i bet she was all like "OMG PWRLVL SM" then has her life flipped turned upside down, fresh prince style.

15. i don't think i'll ever understand videogamespeak. I guess that's why i stick to platforms, xboxlive and the like. I played a shit-ton of Diablo online back in the day, though.

as for the conversion, good job! you picked a good one to convert, too, since now she's fighting for the right team. since we're sharing stories of converting people that are decidedly anti-cannabis, i'll share mine.

It was really a team effort between me and my friend jammin. our mutual friend's new girlfriend was militantly anti-pot, because brother is in jail, partly due to marijuana possession (among many other things. dude had one terrible evening). The third time we ever met her, we loaded a bowl, smoked it, and she came out as we finished and said, "you guys used to be cool." Over the next 3 months, it just so happened that we'd smoke almost every night she came around, and just the fact that we're so chill, diffusing fights, just generally sending out "good vibes" for lack of better words, got her to start asking us questions. luckily we were well-armed, and before long it became, "well, weed does THIS and that's bad, right?" by the end of the night, she was like, "i wanna try it." If she wasn't so hammered on tequila we would've let her. She never did try it, just no longer has the desire, but she doesn't care in the least if anyone chooses to smoke or not, and while she doesn't think it should be LEGAL, she does think that small amounts should be decriminalized, because she definitely recognizes that guys like us don't belong in jail for a weed. if everyone does their part and gets active, we CAN affect change. we're making progress, and stories like yours prove that we're getting somewhere. +rep

16. awesome posts. one person at a time if we have to. It sure is easy to win arguments against reasonable people armed with lies and superstition and propaganda, eh? peace

17. Thats awsome man! What server do you play on? I play on Cho Gall. I got a level 64 warrior atm, and a 41 shammy.

18. I play on Stormreaver server and have a lvl 61 warrior named Neoarcadian, of course, and too many bank alts to count. Hit me up if you ever need some help.

As for conversions...

I met this girl while at a friend's church...a youth group on wensdays of sorts. She knew that me and my friend both used cannabis among other things, me less so with other things though just fyi. So she asked me why we do drugs. Why would we want to put ourselves in a state where we could be easily manipulated.

My simple explaination for alcohol, which was the one she was mainly asking about, was that certain people can handle it and certain people can't. Me and my friend can both handle it. We can get drunk off our asses and still not makes dumbasses of ourselves. Where-as there were a few of the people at the party we went to a couple days before that couldn't handle it and tried starting fights and the like. Luckily I'm a big mofo and simply picked them up by the collars and broke up the fight very quickly but anyways...

Before that she asked just about drugs in general. I mentioned that I only really use cannabis on a regular basis. I then explained how I have no cartilage in my jaw and am thus in extreame pain 24 hours a day and am ALSO immune to all pain killers and thus use it medicinally...as well as recreationally but only because it's fun as all hell. It made me happy to see that she excepted that as a reasonable answer and said that that's absolutely fine.

Anyway though...her, as well as some of her friends, none of which are anti-drug but that don't really approve of them, are going to be going through some extensive drug training the next time I see them all. In other words I'm gonna let them in on the truth. At the very least though it'll be much easier since they are, for one, in their teens and, for 2, aren't strict anti-drug...just more-or-less nieve about the subject.

One soul saved at a time...here's hoping.:cool:

19. why does a 57 year old woman play world of warcraft?