how i dry + trim my bud

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by dabs710, Sep 20, 2019.

1. #1 dabs710, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    This is strictly my way of drying and trimming my bud. I'm so happy with the way it is I feel unless I do tons of lights I never need to hire trimmers. I could do several pounds in one day. Everybody has their own methods that they like, so take it or leave it. I'm just very pleased with the outcome and ease with the process so I don't mind sharing it.

The way I did dry trimming was through trial and error. A lot of people like wet trimming, but I ended up preferring dry trimming for the outcome of flavor. Some people will argue they don't notice the difference, which is fine.

All I do is cut a whole plant from it's base of the main stem, without cutting a single fan / sugar leaves, hang upside down, and get the room (or try to) to 60F and 50-60% RH. The last day or two I've increased it to 65-70% with no ill effects, especially on hung plants waiting to be trimmed. Room / tent is completely dark and there is just minimal ventilation so air doesn't get stale, no fans blowing wind in the room. You can control this in a tent with a carbon filter / fan combo with a speed controller and closing up all holes except one in the tent.

If you get it to two weeks doing this it'll be a perfect dry. If you got it to at least 7 or 8 days it'll be a good smoke for sure.

The way I gauge the plants are done is stereotypically when smaller stems start snapping and I'm not seeing "string cheese" when I peel buds off the stem. The other factor I look at is if I can get trimming scissors and easily knock off sugar leaves by just brushing the scissors against them, as opposed to clipping / pulling them off the buds when they're wetter. You don't have to do this to all leaves, just a second or two per bud to knock most off.

At this point I feel the buds have done a lot of the "curing" on the vine, which IMO is better, while turning your room / tent into a giant mason jar that's autoburping itself.

I let my buds after that sit in turkey / goose bags, not double bagged til a few days - week max later. This ensures that I got rid of any excess moisture but they're still stable RH and lack of oxygen. Then I either double bag em or throw em into jars. During this process you inevitably are having buds have weight against each other and move around in the bags when you're inspecting them and moving the bags around and what not. Soon after that I dump all the bag out with the buds scattered on a large flat surface and quickly pick out all the smaller nugs / trim and separate it from the large nugs to be sent out for oil. This can often be done the day / day after you bag em up, before you jar / double bag em.

After you do all this if you did it right you'll notice you're left with large nugs that seem like you did a nice trim job on them. After I did this I felt like I wasted so much time taking forever to trim, now I feel like the process is accelerated so much faster.

Also if you get lazy / busy and don't have time for trimming you can just cut your plant into sections, leave it in branches, throw it in some type of tote / container(s) and seal it from air.

Thanks for reading.

• Like Like x 4
  2. 1) what the heck is a turkey/goose bag? I have done plenty of turkey and goose hunting, never once heard of these bags....

2) what does RH stand for in your above comment?

3. 1) Pass - assuming they mean some oven bag thing
    2) RH = relative humidity

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. 1) Like a marinating bag from walmart.

2) Relative Humidity

Otherwise, this sounds fantastic! How long do you like to dry whole plants at 60% RH before jarring? Do you monitor jar RH?

Thanks for sharing bud!

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. I can't get my drying room down below 80°, but my RH is easier to control it's sitting at 60% steady. Am I gonna NG to run into problems?

• Like Like x 1
  6. 1. get these you won't regret it

2. Relative humidity

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. If the temps are colder like between 60-68F up to 14-15 days.

No putting em in goose bags after drying ensures no worries about this. Regardless if you dried correctly the center of the buds should have dried proportionately to the outside and you should always smell terps / pleasant bud aroma, rather than a hay / ammonia odor. After I'm sure and done dissecting out small nugs, I'll double bag or jar. I never monitor RH at that point past the drying room because there's no benefit the bugs are very prime at that point.

8. Nice. Nah you should be all good, but unfortunately it will dry faster. You need to monitor it daily. My gauge that your bud is drying too quick like this is if you can smell terps all over the place past the first 2-3 days. Honestly I'd rather it never happen but if your buds are off-gassing try to slow down ventilation without screwing up RH. 80F will probably finish between 6-10 days but will make nice smoke. Can you shut AC vents in rooms that are unused in your house?

Summer sucks for drying if u don't have a good setup.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ha! That’s great lol didn’t know such thing but exists lol

Now what makes them so good to use?

10. Sorry for the dumb questions, new to growing

11. You can stuff a pound of weed in each bag. They aren't like regular plastic bags that will rapidly oxidize your bud and expose them to fresh air. It's the closest thing to a mason jar for sealing. If you throw buds in a single bag after drying for a few days to a week max it's a good guarantee your buds will cure out especially if you check it once or twice (I never have to). It's better to cure in there immediately after dry as opposed to a mason jar because it will both guarantee no hay / ammonia odor cause something had too much moisture and as I previously mentioned storing buds in there knocks off trim better than a mason jar. Finally they are the best for transporting and selling IMO. For very long term storage you can jar up the buds or put em in 2-3 goose bags.

12. if you're worried about the dried fan leaves, they are larger, look very different than sugar leaf trim, and easy to separate / remove.

13. So instead of actually trimming it all the "trim" basically falls right off because it is so dry? And you just roll it around a bit and maybe pick a bit with your fingers at buds to clean them up before you jar it? Or I mean, goose bag it?

$88.64 for bags?
    Are you affiliated with this goose bag company by any chance, lol..

14. I always buy these at the hydro store, it's 50-100 units so 84 is negligible to me lol.

Yeah you just use trimming scissors and just take / bump off the leaves and them moving and doing around in the bag gets almost everything else off. It's fast as hell.