How hot is to hot.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ChiefsitanChief, Oct 19, 2011.

1. My temps fluctuate from 77-84degrees, normally it stays at 80degrees, I seen some people say high heat make buds airy, also is airy buds a bad thing, because i have had some what I thought was airy bud, and it was killer, just had to roll it a little tighter but it smoked. I seen some people say it will also tighten up some during drying/process, so can anyone help with this.

2. My plants always grow the best at between 72-75 degrees...but that is not always possible with my particular set-up...Most plants like that range but you can grow in higher temps...it seems if things get over 86 degrees my plants get stressed and the growth almost comes to a halt...as far as airy buds go..I cant comment on the science...I dont know enough about it.

3. I had 4 plants grow over the summer when it was over 90 degrees for about 2 weeks. I did what I could but most of the time the plants had to deal with it. I had to water a little more than I should have had to because the moment they got dry they would get extremely droopy and dead looking. I used cfl's and it was my first grow, so the buds were already airy. Now I'm wondering how big they would've gotten if it wasn't so damn hot.

4. Does anyone have a pic of a airy vs. Dense bud just for reference, and these plants seem to do better when its about 82-84 its like they stretch up wanting more, also why do cfl's cause buds to be airy

5. Well, one thing you want to stop is stretching. You want to keep the growth nodes as close together as you can for more buds.... CFL's buds are airy because they just dont put out as much light as a MH or HPS...the more light the better.

6. I have 300 watts of cfls on 2 babies, is that not enough, will it still be airy, also my node are less than a inch apart and I'm on node 11.

7. greater than 85 and mj stops growing for most strains.. some..but not many can withstand constant temps around 90F. most grow best between 70-75 airy buds mostly depends on how much light they are getting and how close the lights are to the plant. the closer the nodes usually the more dense they are.. sativas are usually more fluffy since they like to stretch more than a pure indica. they will become more spaced out and stretchy usually no matter how close the light is. sometimes feeding the right amount/type of nutrients can make the buds tighten up also. theres many factors

8. Well, I used to grow with CFL's because they are ecomonical and do not produce a lot of heat...but when I decided I wanted more from my plants, I got a HPS...and my yield more than doubled...but they cost more and run pretty hot...there are trade-offs....but in my opinion, HPS is the only way to go...no matter what wattage your CFL is...it will never out-bud a HPS. You said your plants were stretching towards the light, thats the only reason I brought up the stretching...but youre fine with what you described... :D

9. that's only true if you can keep the hps close enough to the plant, without getting too hot, to where the number of lumens on the plant are higher than the cfl..

so i keep my 150w hps lamps about 4" away which lets say the lamp puts out 16k lumens at the bulb so just a random guess.. about 10k lumens on the plants surface. the 125w cfl is 5k lumens at the bulb.. no matter how close the cfl, you wont get that 10k lumens like the hps... but now say you pull that hps off to certain distance to where the plant is receiving 5k lumens or less it would be the same as using a cfl at a close distance.

10. #10 Grows&Smokes, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2011
    I cant argue with your logic....plus I was using four 27 watt CFL's...probably not many lumens...my HPS is 400 watt..55,000 lumens...not really a fair comparison...but you are still not going to get a huge yield from 5k lumens.

11. i know what you mean.. once i switched from cfl to hps and just used my cfls for supplemental i was amazed. even using the 125w cfls to a 150w hps is more than 3 times brighter and can keep it almost the same distance away with decent ventilation. :smoke:

12. Hey chiefsitanchief, sorry about hijacking your thread, you got any pics of your ladies?

13. cfls work just fine, if you can control the heat and afford it go with the HPS. Mid 70s is where you want to shoot for temp, but start to get worried if its getting over 85.

14. Depending on how into it you are you can get a surface thermometer which will measure the surface temp of the leaves which should be 80-85 ish then you will really know what's to hot!

15. [quote name='"growsensmokes"']

Well, I used to grow with CFL's because they are ecomonical and do not produce a lot of heat...but when I decided I wanted more from my plants, I got a HPS...and my yield more than doubled...but they cost more and run pretty hot...there are trade-offs....but in my opinion, HPS is the only way to go...no matter what wattage your CFL is...it will never out-bud a HPS. You said your plants were stretching towards the light, thats the only reason I brought up the stretching...but youre fine with what you described... :D[/quote]

Sorry by stretching I meant the leaves/stems look like they are yawning(stretching) LOL, and not straight out, or drooping.

16. #16 ChiefsitanChief, Oct 20, 2011
    [quote name='"Panda85"']

that's only true if you can keep the hps close enough to the plant, without getting too hot, to where the number of lumens on the plant are higher than the cfl..

so i keep my 150w hps lamps about 4" away which lets say the lamp puts out 16k lumens at the bulb so just a random guess.. about 10k lumens on the plants surface. the 125w cfl is 5k lumens at the bulb.. no matter how close the cfl, you wont get that 10k lumens like the hps... but now say you pull that hps off to certain distance to where the plant is receiving 5k lumens or less it would be the same as using a cfl at a close distance.[/quote]

Sweet because i have 20,500lumens pumping right on top of them bad boys point blank range, also in a week I'm adding a swivel ARM lamp into my cab, with a 68watt cfl/6700lumens to position where ever I need it for the under growth, so totaling 368watts/27,200 lumens of cfls. So we will see what it does, so with that being said will this keep my nugs tight, temps for the past 2weeks in cab, have leveled of to 77-78degrees, because of cool outside weather.

17. #17 ChiefsitanChief, Oct 20, 2011
    [quote name='"growsensmokes"']Hey chiefsitanchief, sorry about hijacking your thread, you got any pics of your ladies?[/quote]

Ha no prob, I know I might get shunned for this but I'm experimenting, with defoliating, and day 23 veg I removed all the big fan leaves because the undergrowth was tiny I mean tiny, I read somewhere that the big fans take more vits from under growth, than they help them grow, I'm now on day 27 and all you see in this pic is undergrowth, the growth has quadrupled in size in 4days, I'm also using floranova grow,n,bloom from general hydrophonics.

Attached Files: