How hot does glass have to be to crack/break?

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by uremom3, Jan 26, 2015.

1. I was wondering this because i have a titanium nail with a male joint and i put it in my bong so i can dab. My bong isnt a really cheap one. But it has a removeble downstem and when i heat up my titanium nail the downstem piece gets pretty hot. Just a little too hot to touch but not scorching hot. I never get my nail glowing red and i would say the downstem is probably 3-5 mm thick (not really sure exatly how thick it is). But do you guys think it could possibly break or crack the downstem of my bong?

2. Uh i dunno i think the cracking in from the speed wich glass is heated not how hot it is but dont quote me on that

3. Depends what type of glass your piece is made from.  Borosilicate can resist thermal shock better then soda-lime glass.  Although extreme temp variations or uneven heating can result in the piece breaking.  Pyrex which is a type of boro has a viscosity point of 820 celcius or 1510F, meaning it will liquefy around those temps.

4. To be safe, you might just want to get a little adapter for your bong so the heat isn't directly on your stem but on the adapter instead, they are pretty cheap under $20

5. Not sure if it was you but someone asked a similar question. If it was you,... Shame on you lol

If it's not you, you have a removable downstem, if it breaks chances are that you will be able to simply replace it.

My suggestion is to get a cheap, but quality, adapter or a nice drop down with a male joint and use that to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum