how high above my above my plants do i want my lite

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Deno420, Aug 14, 2012.

1. #1 Deno420, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
    How high do I want my 1k watt hps bulb that's incased in my hood by glass and vented out side. I have had my plants rite up to them and they do fine no heat issues I am just asking cause I've seen others grow labs and there lights are like 5feet in the air...I wanted to see what my optium hight is cause the higher I go the more area I can cover..bulb is 1k watt hortlux eye super hps bout 2 mo old in a big kuhanna hood ran off a lumentek diggy ballest...help me plz rooms like 7x7 and I don't no if plants need to be directly under the light or what. I jam all my bushes under it and there fine at 1st but after 2 weeks into flower there hugeee and its impossable to have thbem directlly under my hood. id like to get more lighting with out more lite or a mover

2. close as you can lol... you might be just wasting your time after say 10000 lumens/sq ft, but it wont hurt em unless its hot.

3. If heat is a non-issue, the optimal height is just the lowest height that covers the entire canopy. If this means backing them off a bit as the ladies fill out, in order to maintain full coverage.... then do that. In most environments, growers can't get a 1kW light close enough to the tops to begin with, for that to be necessary.

I realize that there is no sharp cutoff for when the light "covers the entire canopy"... just go with a reasonable guess "yea it looks about even now". It's going to depend on your exact reflector, and how it's oriented with respect to how the plants are laid out - so no one can currently give you a definitive number.

4. #4 Deno420, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
    [quote name='"windowless"']If heat is a non-issue, the optimal height is just the lowest height that covers the entire canopy. If this means backing them off a bit as the ladies fill out, in order to maintain full coverage.... then do that. In most environments, growers can't get a 1kW light close enough to the tops to begin with, for that to be necessary.

I realize that there is no sharp cutoff for when the light "covers the entire canopy"... just go with a reasonable guess "yea it looks about even now". It's going to depend on your exact reflector, and how it's oriented with respect to how the plants are laid out - so no one can currently give you a definitive number.[/quote]

Ya rite now my hoods mayb 11in above my canopy and there all pretty evend out atsimilar height. I must have pretty good air circulation In my hood cause I've had buds 1/2in to the glass b4 cause they grew so fast and when that happened they were there like that for a few days...had no problem with heat stress its just rite now I haave 6 plants plants under my light and there all roughly 2 feet wide and 2and a half feet tall and its only day 5 in flowering...there bushes lol and there gonna fill out more like I said above my rooms only 7x7 the plants r take up bout 4x5 of the room

5. Best thing to do is know the temp at the top of your canopy.I use a thermometer with a wire probe.The probe is wired up to the top of the canopy.I keep the light as close as I can w/o going over 82 degrees.Depending on setup 12-24" is the general area I'd say.

The better the air circulation/flow is over/around the canopy the closer you can get it safely.

GL