Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How harmful is weed to the lungs?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by MeAndMaryJane, May 11, 2011.

1. this kid is a fucking troll. i'm sure of it. no one can be THIS naive.

2. #42 Storm Crow, May 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2011
    To get the real answers to your questions (and not stoned opinions) click that first link in my sig. You will find 100s of medical studies and articles about cannabis. There are sections on COPD, LUNG CANCER, SAFETY, SMOKED CANNABIS, VAPORIZERS and much more. Learn the facts from reliable sources and you won't have to worry so much!

Granny

3. #43 bazoski1er, May 11, 2011

you are a disgusting excuse of a human being, how about you piss off and troll some other forum, we do not tolerate this kind of racial vilification here and i hope the mods ban you. GTFO

4. If you want to filter your smoke use carbon stones like I do - I use a mini bong (one hitter) which is filled with carbon instead of water.

The interesting thing is that the down pipe is always brown with gunk, but the draw pipe remains clean as a whistle, that shows how much the carbon filters out :smoke:

5. i think smoking effects people differently.some people tolerate and process it better and remve it from lungs better. for me not good i think its pretty bad

6. its not harmful to lungs.

7. #47 NJsteez, May 11, 2011
    Yes there is plenty of tar in bud. A joint or blunt has significantly much more tar then a cigarette.
    Well if you grow your own and fertilize with Miracle Grow and other similiar products then yes there will be chemicals in your roots, growth, and flowers. If you grow with all organic mediums and fertilizers you rule out all those chemicals that would be going into the plants.
    You still create "bad" chemicals anytime you combust and inhale matter. Although cloves are typically not worse then cigarettes, even though it's a harsher smoke, they do not contain nearly almost all of the chemicals most cigarettes do like arsenic and cyanide just to name a couple.
    A bong hardly filters out all of the bad shit.

If you are so concerned but don't want to give up bud, then vape or eat edibles. However in my opinion it's real nice to vape or have a few brownies now and then, but nothing beats the high you feel after smoking a fatie or taking a few bong rips at the end of day.

8. I need a vape like yesterday! Yeah good insight thx.

9. Dunno if anyone has mentioned this yet but weed is actually good for asthma as it's a vasodilator and apparently coughing is a clearing of released gunk from the air sacs.

10. that is the only REAL answer on this thread, thank you

11. #51 Freshfed, May 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
  12. inhaling burning plant matter is not good and weed smoke does paralize the cilia but its no way near as bad as cigarettes and if you use a bong, it will filter out alot of the tar or other bad stuff. Growing your own or buying does nothing but keep some money in your pocket.

13. Both the gaseous and the particulate phases of tobacco and cannabis smoke contain a similar range of harmful chemicals, over 4000 chemicals in fact. However, differing patterns of inhalation mean that smoking a ‘joint' of cannabis results in exposure to significantly greater amounts of combusted material than with a tobacco cigarette. The histopathological effects of cannabis smoke exposure include changes consistent with acute and chronic bronchitis. Cellular dysplasia has also been observed, suggesting that, like tobacco smoke, cannabis exposure has the potential to cause malignancy. These features are consistent with the clinical presentation. Symptoms of cough and early morning sputum production are common (20−25%) even in young individuals who smoke cannabis alone. Almost all studies indicate that the effects of cannabis and tobacco smoking are additive and independent. Public health education should dispel the myth that cannabis smoking is relatively safe by highlighting that the adverse respiratory effects of smoking cannabis are similar to those of smoking tobacco, even although it remains to be confirmed that smoking cannabis alone leads to the development of chronic lung disease. (Intern Med J 2003; 33: 310−313)

furthermore,

While there can be little doubt that smoking anything is likely to be detrimental to the health of one's respiratory system, scientific data does not support the extension of the biological consequences resulting from tobacco smoke to marijuana smoke(1). Two complementary pieces of information support the position that the effects of the two, tobacco and marijuana, are different.

The irritant properties of all smoke will naturally tend to promote a pro- inflammatory immune response with the corresponding production of potentially carcinogenic free radicals. However, cannabis promotes immune deviation to an anti-inflammatory Th2 response via immune-system specific CB2 receptors(2). Thus, the natural pharmacological properties of marijuana's cannabinoids, that are not present in tobacco smoke, would minimize potential irritant initiated carcinogenesis.

In contrast, the nicotine present in tobacco smoke, but lacking in cannabis smoke, specifically activates nicotine receptors in respiratory pathways that in turn protect these cells from apoptosis normally promoted by genotoxic agents found in smoke(3). Thus, the pharmacological activities of tobacco smoke would tend to amplify its carcinogenic potential by inhibiting the death of genetically damaged cells. Together these observations support the epidemiological study of the Kaiser Foundation that did not find cannabis smoking to be associated with cancer incidence(4). Additionally, the demonstrated cancer killing activities of cannabinoids has been ignored. Cannabinoids have been shown to kill some leukemia and lymphoma(5), breast and prostate (6), pheochromocytoma(7), glioma(8) and skin cancer(9) cells in cell culture and in animals.

1. Henry JA, Oldfield WL, Kon OM. Comparing cannabis with tobacco. BMJ. 2003;326:942-943.

2. Yuan M, Kiertscher SM, Cheng Q, Zoumalan R, Tashkin DP, Roth MD. Delta 9-Tetrahydrocannabinol regulates Th1/Th2 cytokine balance in activated human T cells. J Neuroimmunol. 2002;133:124-131.

3. West KA, Brognard J, Clark AS, Linnoila IR, Yang X, Swain SM, Harris C, Belinsky S, Dennis PA. Rapid Akt activation by nicotine and a tobacco carcinogen modulates the phenotype of normal human airway epithelial cells. J Clin Invest. 2003;111:81-90.

4. Sidney S, Beck JE, Tekawa IS, Quesenberry CP, Friedman GD. Marijuana use and mortality. Am J Public Health. 1997;87:585- 590.

5. McKallip RJ, Lombard C, Fisher M, Martin BR, Ryu S, Grant S, Nagarkatti PS, Nagarkatti M. Targeting CB2 cannabinoid receptors as a novel therapy to treat malignant lymphoblastic disease. Blood. 2002;100:627-634.

6. Melck D, De Petrocellis L, Orlando P, Bisogno T, Laezza C, Bifulco M, Di Marzo V. Suppression of nerve growth factor Trk receptors and prolactin receptors by endocannabinoids leads to inhibition of human breast and prostate cancer cell proliferation. Endocrinology. 2000;141:118-126.

7. Sarker KP, Obara S, Nakata M, Kitajima I, Maruyama I. Anandamide induces apoptosis of PC-12 cells: involvement of superoxide and caspase-3. FEBS Lett. 2000;472:39-44.

8. Sanchez C, Galve-Roperh I, Canova C, Brachet P, Guzman M. Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol induces apoptosis in C6 glioma cells. FEBS Lett. 1998;436:6-10.

9. Casanova ML, Blazquez C, Martinez-Palacio J, Villanueva C, Fernandez-Acenero MJ, Huffman JW, Jorcano JL, Guzman M. Inhibition of skin tumor growth and angiogenesis in vivo by activation of cannabinoid receptors. J Clin Invest. 2003;111:43-50.

any more info wanted, pm me ur email and I will send you the scientific journal articles via pdf!

peace!

14. Use a carbon filter, super clean smoke.

15. Or just use a vaporizer. :p

16. You are wrong. Weed is not bad for your lungs. SMOKING weed is bad for your lung. Vapes and edibles are all good

17. #57 Freshfed, May 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Cmon dude he was clearly referring to just smoking.

18. I just vape and keep my lungs smoke free

I am an athlete though.

19. he clearly said weed is bad for your lungs

20. Really bro? You absolutely had to? Lol.
    [​IMG]