how hard is it..

Discussion in 'General' started by uRbAnDieSeL*ATL, Feb 5, 2008.

1. to open up a headshop?

i'm currently getting a degree in business administration and for a while now, my goal has been to become head manager of a Starbucks and move up the company ladder. (i already work there part-time, so i could easily move up).

but lately, i've been thinking, is this what i really want in life?

i thought how awesome would it be just to move out to cali, open up a headshop, and live life. i'm almost to the point now where it would be a dream come true for me just to own my headshop somewhere out in cali, work there all day and smoke every day.

i guess what i'm tryin to sum up is, how hard is it to open up a headshop out in cali? is it easy? if anyone could help me out/give me some info or insight, i'd really appreciate it.

/end of whats been goin through my head lately.

2. I'm sure, as I've never done it.. but I am thinking about getting a degree in business administration as well. May I ask how it was, etc?

3. That sounds like the perfect life, wouldn't mind going into business with ya :p

4. well i'm attending my 2nd quarter here at a local community college and still have another year left til i get my associates degree. i will defintely say though, i've been never forward to going to class until now being that i'm actually taking classes that i enjoy and are interesting.

i've just been thinking how great would it be to wake up every morning, blaze an L on the way to work. chill and listen to some tunes and work around in the store, work with a few cool reliable stoners, and just work/hang out/sell pieces all day. i'd honestly love it.

money really isn't much to me. if i could wake up every morning and go to a job that i would really enjoy, then i'd be happy.

5. Well, I'd say about half mast right n-

Oh, shit, headshops? Sorry bro, no clue.

6. Cool. I plan on getting a masters degree in business administration. If I could go higher, I would. I plan on running a multi million dollar entertainment business. Haha.
    Good luck with it.

7. Not too sure, but I know out here that I couldn't imagine people making much money off of a headshop. I have never seen anybody in the one that I go to other than me and my friends, and usually we spend less than $50 in there, and it's usually one person buying something. Don't get me wrong, they must be doing alright since they're still in business, I guess they've been there for a couple of years.

Location would definitely be key in that situation. I'm sure that bigger cities get more money, if I were to go visit Boston and I had money in my pocket and I walked into a head shop just to look, chances are I'd walk out with something.

8. Headshop's dont have to just sell peices though, Cigerettes, Cigars, Posters, Body Jewlery, Rock T's, Hemp clothing. That would be so sweet to run a headshop, GL bro.

9. it wouldnt be hard to get it started up since you'll have a degree in business, and you'll know how to write up a business plan to get a loan, but your still gambling.. you gotta have a good location, and a chill place stoners/hippies will want to come to OVER other headshops

because i'm sure theres a hell of alot of headshops in california

maybe consider opening one up somewhere else where theres alot of smokers but not so many other headshops to ensure that you dotn go out of business and into debt

edit: another suggestion i would have for you to make your headshop more choice than others is to find someone who knows how to blow glass so you can make your own pipes, this will increase profit and origionality of the peices

also i'm sure theres alot of stoners who would love to have their own custom personalized glass peice made specially for them

that would get you alot of business and reputation in my opinion

10. The toughest part are the county, city and borough regulations. I knew several people in the process of opening a head shop when the local town officials stepped in and killed it. In Cali I am sure it would be far easier but anywhere else I would spend a LOT of time looking into the laws and rules.

11. Agreed. Definately look into selling other things and open up a smoking patio. The Hotbox Cafe in Toronto has a toking patio and it attracts a lot of people. (And obviously if you have a toking patio it only makes sense to sell munchies as well).

Good Luck:cool:

12. thanks for all the suggestions and comments, theres some stuff i would have never thought of that you guys said and now i think, why the hell didn't i think of that lol.. but yeah, opening it up in Cali was just a suggestion cuz its great there. my other option would be near pensacola/destin FL area just because i've gone there every summer the past 8 years and i can't get enough of it.

having a toking patio sounds great, but how would i keep people like cops and people like that out.. i wouldn't want to have a group of people toking and then cops come in and fuck with em.. overall though, the idea of havin a toking patio sounds great, gotta have a good system plugged in for tunage, and of course like you said munches!!

i'm defintely going to keep this thought in my head of opening up a headshop for a while now, so it's gunna grow on me. it will be something that i will for sure look more into and if all goes well, this dream that i have will come true.

*hah, that last part sounded a bit weird and over dramatic.

peace GC, stay blunted

13. omg it was crazy when i read that starbucks thing because that is exactly what i was thinking about doing man.